Author Topic: Following our Finals loss, what's your ideal offseason?  (Read 14233 times)

Re: Following our Finals loss, what's your ideal offseason?
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2022, 08:21:41 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
The one player who would be absolutely perfect for us is Harrison Barnes.  Depending upon how the NBA interprets its rules, though, it might be very hard to get him in the off-season, as he doesn't fit into our TPE.

I don't even have a lot of specific guys in mind in free agency.  Ime does need to show a little more flexibility next year, though:  there needs to be room for guys who can score, even if their defense is average or worse.

Many of us have been talking Barnes for a few years.  They had an opportunity a couple years back to get him and didn't move on it.  Maybe with Brad he will.
I like Barnes a lot, but where do you slot him in?  Salaries aside, does this lineup make sense? R-Will, Tatum, Barnes, Brown, Smart. Then your bench is Horford, White, Grant, Pritchard....just not sure that is enough.

« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2022, 08:27:23 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I think Boston would have to trade Horford and a 1st to get Barnes and I wouldn't do that.  Boston needs someone that can fit into the TPE or a guy that is a clear upgrade on a top 3 spot on the team, and Barnes isn't either of those things. 

With Wood gone, I'd probably try to kick the tires on John Collins.  Probably take Smart, but I think I'm ok with that. 

Maybe something like this

Collins, Huerter

for

Smart, Grant, Nesmith, Theis, 23 1st

Main 8-player Rotation

PG - White, Pritchard
SG - Brown, Huerter
SF - Tatum
PF - Collins, Horford
C - Timelord

Use the TPE's and TMLE to add in depth and I think that is a better team with a better shot at a championship next year
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2022, 08:44:28 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
I fell in love with Bruce Brown during that Nets series. Seems to fit our scheme perfectly.

Mike

« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2022, 08:47:31 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
It’s on ownership. Do they allow Brad to use the trade exceptions and the mid level slot to get guys that can contribute.

Bruce brown would be one I go after. He can defend and can hit shots off the bench.

« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2022, 10:34:20 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
We need a team leader.  Don't know where we will find him. I thought leadership by committee would work (Smart, the 2 Js and Horford).  But ultimately they fell short.  Ime will stay on them for sure, but need someone on the court, a Chris Paul type, to keep them playing the correct way on offense.  They played really dumb and panicky on offense in the finals. 

« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2022, 10:45:19 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
I dont understand the calls for a new PG.  All a PG does is bring the ball up (though we’re not good at that either).  The true identity of the team is defense.  We can not lose that.

We need…

1.  Reliable bench support
2.  New offense.  Our scheme sucks!!

It was clear as day that our scheme is predictable and prone to standing around and ball watching.  It makes it easier on the opposing D, allowing them to essentially stand around themselves (thereby reserving energy) and waiting to collapse and pack the lane.

Time after time, we would play great defense but GS constant movement eventually led to a breakdown an an easy layup or open shot.

We literally just lost even with an elite-tier defense because we have an anemic offense. And they were still able to score 100+ on us on their wins. What good having excellent defense do for you when your offense is garbage. We need more well-balanced team. More rotational players who can score.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2022, 10:46:40 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I think Mike Conley would be an ideal vet PG that would elevate them.

« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2022, 10:52:04 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
My knee jerk reaction is that the Cs need to keep things stable and return the existing roster with a few small adjustments.

1. Bring is a vet to compete with Nesmith for the 10th spot in the rotation. The Cs need a bench wing who can be counted on to contribute. When Pritchard and Grant are not hitting outside shots the team needs another option to pivot to. Maybe a Jeremy Lamb level vet?

2. Add variation and depth at big to the deep bench. With Rob's health and Al's age I would like to see the Cs add a few developmental bigs. My approach would be to replace Kornet with a big who better fits the Cs style of defense. Chinanu Onuaku is an option who the Cs have been linked to as the Kornet replacement. After that I also like the idea of draft and stashing a big in this draft (Nzosa or Diop) and also targeting a big for a 2-way as a UDFA (Makur Maker or Bryson Williams). This just casts a large net for a chance to add big man of the future.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2022, 10:53:56 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591
I'm by no means an expert on any of this, but the team has some pieces it could move.

Everyone other than JT/JB/RW are expendable. We need a true point guard and a bench that will show up more times than not to play.
The offense is broken and has been so for a number of years.

We had all the right things fall our way to get to the finals. We won't be that lucky again.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2022, 11:00:36 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Free Agency:
1. Sign Thad Young to a 2 year MLE contract. I think he’s the perfect fit for our bench as a 4/5. He can pass, shoot and defend. Significant upgrade over Theis, and can play alongside all of TL, Horford & Grant.

2. Sign Tony Snell to a 1 year Vet Min. He’s a sharpshooter who can play acceptable defence. Hopefully Nesmith makes him obsolete, but I’m not sure if I should hold out hope for that.

Draft:
#45 - Vince Williams Jr. or Justin Lewis. NBA-ready with the potential to improve. High on both.

Trades:
1. Evan Fournier TPE + whatever compensation needed (within reason) for Malik Beasley. I think he’d address all the offensive woes we have for cheaper than some other options. He’s a really good athlete too, and I think he has good defensive potential. He’s already shown an ability to score. I think he’s on the outer with the relative success of Edwards & D-Loading.

2. Theis for Dallas’ TPE & a future 2nd round pick. Dallas would round out their big rotations nicely with Theis, as he offers a different skill-set to all their other bigs.

3. Dennis Schroder TPE + assets for Willy Hernangomez. He absolutely thrived in that 15-20MPG big man role last season, and with a declining Al & an injury-prone Rob I’d love someone that can rebound.

Final Roster:
Smart / Pritchard
Beasley / White / Nesmith
Brown / Snell / V Williams Jr.
Tatum / Young / G Williams
R Williams / Horford / Hernangomez

I think that bench is much stronger. Our defence would have to operate differently if we don’t start two bigs, but I think having Thad & Hernangomez could allow us to go big. Grant would get more minutes than indicated as a third stringer, as he can play 3-5 depending on who he’s with. Not necessarily realistic, but this is what I would want.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2022, 11:05:39 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Short of a major Horford trade for a future 3rd star or long term starting SG or PF, I'd just run it back.

Keep the top 7 guys. Try to add one guy in FA. Improve the 10th-15th talent level.

But basically just run it back. They created something unique here with their defense. It is going to be dangerous / self-destructive to mess with that. Unless there is a major opportunity to be had, it is not worth the risk screwing with that. Just run it back. Keep the two big of Horford and Rob. Keep the big backcourt of Smart with D-White backing him up. The big wings of Tatum and Jaylen. Stay big. Play bully ball (defensively).

« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2022, 11:10:10 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Don’t see a lot of changes to the core. It’s the bench that has to be improved. Not enough consistency off the bench. Williams and white seem to be ones that might improve.

PP has to get better. Nesmith is a mystery. Everyone after that are just g league filler that need to go.

« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2022, 11:16:25 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
In a dream world, I'd love to see a ball-handling SG in the starting lineup to aid ball movement. Something like Joe Dumars next to Zeke, Ainge next to DJ, Hornacek next to KJ or later Stockton. Someone like that who can handle the rock, pass the rock and shoot the rock.

Someone who could be the glue guy to the offense. Who can knit everything together and be the piece that shares some of the ball-handling with Smart who is a limited offensive PG.

At this point, I'd rather a 15ppg threat 5apg SG over a 20ppg SG low assist guy.

« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2022, 11:17:35 AM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
I dont understand the calls for a new PG.  All a PG does is bring the ball up (though we’re not good at that either).  The true identity of the team is defense.  We can not lose that.

We need…

It was clear as day that our scheme is predictable and prone to standing around and ball watching.  It makes it easier on the opposing D, allowing them to essentially stand around themselves (thereby reserving energy) and waiting to collapse and pack the lane.

Time after time, we would play great defense but GS constant movement eventually led to a breakdown an an easy layup or open shot.

We literally just lost even with an elite-tier defense because we have an anemic offense. And they were still able to score 100+ on us on their wins. What good having excellent defense do for you when your offense is garbage. We need more well-balanced team. More rotational players who can score.

Of course extra offense will be helpful.  But we have guys that can make shots.  I think our scheme does not put our players in the best position to utilize their skill sets.  This scheme wasnt able to get JT or JB easy shots.  GS laughed at our sets, its too easy to defend.

« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2022, 11:23:30 AM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16

We need…

I have a great idea for the offense-fast break!  You have two of the most athletic and talented wings in the NBA and we are stuck running half court offense.  The bigs have to learn to look up after they rebound the ball.