Author Topic: Following our Finals loss, what's your ideal offseason?  (Read 14279 times)

Re: Following our Finals loss, what's your ideal offseason?
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2022, 02:20:40 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Kevin Durant wanting out of that Kyrie/Simmons Circus and coming here to compete with the GSW for next season.

He is good friends with Horford, and Brown/Theis does make the dollars work (obviously Nets would want picks). If he could force that, yes…that’s the move to make. He can say he made a mistake in 2016 not signing here with Horford. It is a potential opportunity for him to redeem his legacy now that Curry has surpassed him as “second to LeBron” for this generation, and it distances him from Kyrie by forcing his way to the club Kyrie abandoned. Would be a HUGE story for the NBA, particularly if we rematched with GSW next year. KD’s people must be telling him his only shot at getting past Curry in the legacy standing is to force a trade to a title contender next year. The runner-ups to Curry certainly makes a lot of sense, especially after we were the runner-up for his services in 2016.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 02:36:50 AM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2022, 02:20:45 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Put this exact statement in another thread but fits here

Honestly, I think Boston's mentality this summer should be thinking like Middleton didn't get hurt and Boston lost to Milwaukee in the ECS.  I think that is the more realistic view of the team and as such the summer should be planned like that.  And that thought shouldn't change no matter the outcome of the last 2 games of this series.

This board has a big time habit of overreacting to the moment and not really accounting for injuries.  We saw that a lot in 2012 where a lot of this board was thinking that Boston was still a true contender because they pushed Miami to 7 in the ECF.  But Bosh didn't play until game 5 and once he was back and reasonably healthy, Miami went back to crushing the C's.  That was also the year Rose blew out his knee against the Sixers in the 1st round and Boston ended up playing the 8th seeded Sixers in the 2nd round (who took Boston to 7 games).

I just don't want to see Boston treat this summer like it is really close and do all sorts of short term moves.  Boston needs to still find a legit 3rd piece or just better fitting pieces in general, especially as Horford ages and Rob still can't stay healthy.

This. We ought to assume we lost in the second round. We were VERY lucky to get by Giannis. If Middleton does not get injured, Bucks likely repeat as champs this year. Of course, we may get lucky and Holiday and/or Middleton fall off a cliff due to aging. But I would not bank on that for another 2-3 years.

Absolutely 1000% no to this. I'm no convinced if Middleton is healthy the Bucks win. Not at all. The c's played badly that series, Williams was a shell of himself. Replay that series with everyone healthy 100 times i think the c's in 50 of them.

Beat me to it. Tp

« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2022, 06:02:03 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'd get in on Mitchell. Offer them Smart, TL, GW and a few 1st. If he isn't available then go Picks, Smart and GW for Collins. Mitchell can be an Alpha. Collins would be long term replacement for Al.

Horrible D. Mitchell does not fit our defensive identity and cannot be the floor general we need. Plus, Timelord is not done growing. Frankly, Tatum and Timelord are the only true untouchables for me right now (although I’d like to see most everybody come back and wouldn’t even be mad if we came back with the same starting five$
I disagree clearly. Mitchell has shown leadership and drive, the team needs offense not defense. Also TL will always be banged up and limited, I'd trade him ASAP. Sell high on the DPOY,  GW and TL. Get that third star now.

« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2022, 06:07:28 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Honestly, I think Boston's mentality this summer should be thinking like Middleton didn't get hurt and Boston lost to Milwaukee in the ECS.  I think that is the more realistic view of the team and as such the summer should be planned like that.  And that thought shouldn't change no matter the outcome of the last 2 games of this series.

This board has a big time habit of overreacting to the moment and not really accounting for injuries.  We saw that a lot in 2012 where a lot of this board was thinking that Boston was still a true contender because they pushed Miami to 7 in the ECF.  But Bosh didn't play until game 5 and once he was back and reasonably healthy, Miami went back to crushing the C's.  That was also the year Rose blew out his knee against the Sixers in the 1st round and Boston ended up playing the 8th seeded Sixers in the 2nd round (who took Boston to 7 games).

I just don't want to see Boston treat this summer like it is really close and do all sorts of short term moves.  Boston needs to still find a legit 3rd piece or just better fitting pieces in general, especially as Horford ages and Rob still can't stay healthy.

This. We ought to assume we lost in the second round. We were VERY lucky to get by Giannis. If Middleton does not get injured, Bucks likely repeat as champs this year. Of course, we may get lucky and Holiday and/or Middleton fall off a cliff due to aging. But I would not bank on that for another 2-3 years.

Meh.  Give me TL and Smart at 100% for that series and they can have Middleton
And Boston would lose.  The Bucks are better than Boston when the teams are at full strength and I suspect the.Bucks will make a move ot two and be even better next year.  Now Boston may very well be the 2nd best team in the East next year but I do expect the Nets, Sixers, and Heat to all do something and improve as well. 

This is exactly the point I was making about the overreaction and overating of the C's actual status.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2022, 06:20:10 AM »

Offline Larry for 3

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 30
  • Believe in Boston
Funny how people are underestimating the Bucks. Almost like some people forgot that Middleton always kills us. Weird.
"They forgot about Larry Bird"--- Danny Ainge, 1987

"What happened to the Lakers??!!"--- Wyc Grousbeck, 6/17/08

« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2022, 06:33:10 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I tend to agree with Moranis insofar as this team needs to treat the offseason as a time for significant improvement.

I know Stevens won't do it, but I would love to see him dangle Smart out there for offers. His value should be high.

I don't think Brad is attached to anyone on this roster. If Philly came in with an offer of Embiid for Tatum + picks I'm sure he would consider it.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2022, 06:48:06 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
We need a Will Barton, Alec Burks, or Josh Hart-esque bench player. A 6 5 or 6 6 wing who can come in an consistently score 10-12 points.

We need a PJ Tucker like end of the bench veteran leader.

And a tall point guard that can actually run an offense.

I’m confident we can bring in the first two. I’m not sure what PG we’d be able to target.

« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2022, 06:51:33 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Lots of sun, a few pints of cider, running it back with a more robust bench. Hopefully Horford isn't washed next year.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2022, 07:07:49 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
We need a Will Barton, Alec Burks, or Josh Hart-esque bench player. A 6 5 or 6 6 wing who can come in an consistently score 10-12 points.

We need a PJ Tucker like end of the bench veteran leader.

And a tall point guard that can actually run an offense.

I’m confident we can bring in the first two. I’m not sure what PG we’d be able to target.
I'll take the first two. First one: Yes backup to Tatum is a big need (sorry DWhite need somebody bigger and more consistent). Second one: Lack of vets on the bench is an obvious hole.  Third one: I suspect Smart stays.

« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2022, 07:16:58 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I would like a scorer off the bench and another reliable 4/5. That along with hopefully improvement from the core should be good. But I think it really starts with Brown and Tatum developing their games for the grit and grind of the playoffs. Better handles, better midrange game. Kinda incorporate some of Butler's offensive game into them.
I think Thad Young is the ideal bench big target. Can play 4/5 on both ends, is a good passer and a decent enough shooter. I think moving Smart/White for a more reliable offensive piece (in terms of shooting and dribble penetration) would be worthwhile.
I'm all in, always liked Thad.  Sorry Daniel Theis, but you are just not strong enough and your jump-shot isn't good enough to justify the PT (as we saw in the Finals and most of the playoffs).  Things is, I'm not sure he's good enough anymore to start, and Al Horford should be a backup center at this point in his career...it's a bit weird to pay such a big salary for a bench player, but I'll let Brad figure that out.

« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2022, 07:24:48 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Any major changes? Do we shake things up drastically, or try and keep the same core intact? Who do we draft? Any free agents?

What should we do? Because this bench won't cut it, and it's lost us this potential title.

What seems clear is Smart cannot be the primary ballhandler. He has neither the intelligence nor the skills.

I've been on this bandwagon for years.  Danny had to know too, hence the Kyrie and Kemba experiments.  The question is, can White be that guy and roll Marcus to sixth man or in a trade?
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2022, 07:29:48 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The one player who would be absolutely perfect for us is Harrison Barnes.  Depending upon how the NBA interprets its rules, though, it might be very hard to get him in the off-season, as he doesn't fit into our TPE.

I don't even have a lot of specific guys in mind in free agency.  Ime does need to show a little more flexibility next year, though:  there needs to be room for guys who can score, even if their defense is average or worse.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2022, 07:47:00 AM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
I dont understand the calls for a new PG.  All a PG does is bring the ball up (though we’re not good at that either).  The true identity of the team is defense.  We can not lose that.

We need…

1.  Reliable bench support
2.  New offense.  Our scheme sucks!!

It was clear as day that our scheme is predictable and prone to standing around and ball watching.  It makes it easier on the opposing D, allowing them to essentially stand around themselves (thereby reserving energy) and waiting to collapse and pack the lane.

Time after time, we would play great defense but GS constant movement eventually led to a breakdown an an easy layup or open shot. 

« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2022, 07:55:39 AM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72

Meh.  Give me TL and Smart at 100% for that series and they can have Middleton
And Boston would lose.  The Bucks are better than Boston when the teams are at full strength and I suspect the.Bucks will make a move ot two and be even better next year.  Now Boston may very well be the 2nd best team in the East next year but I do expect the Nets, Sixers, and Heat to all do something and improve as well. 

This is exactly the point I was making about the overreaction and overating of the C's actual status.

I agree here.  It’s extremely naive to think we’ll be back next year.  We still have Giannis to contend with for the next 8 years.  Let that sink in.  Durant, Embid, Miami, Toronto.  On top of that GS has Wiseman, Kuminga and Moody they’re grooming.

Thats what makes this year SO frustrating.  It was laid out perfectly for us.  Sweep KD, Middleton hurt, Lowry, Butler and Herro hobbled…yet we beat ourselves with a putrid, predictable, stagnant offense and a historical turnover rate.

We “may” be young.  But it aint gonna be easy!

« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2022, 08:12:01 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
The one player who would be absolutely perfect for us is Harrison Barnes.  Depending upon how the NBA interprets its rules, though, it might be very hard to get him in the off-season, as he doesn't fit into our TPE.

I don't even have a lot of specific guys in mind in free agency.  Ime does need to show a little more flexibility next year, though:  there needs to be room for guys who can score, even if their defense is average or worse.

Many of us have been talking Barnes for a few years.  They had an opportunity a couple years back to get him and didn't move on it.  Maybe with Brad he will.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."