Author Topic: Following our Finals loss, what's your ideal offseason?  (Read 14266 times)

Re: Following our Finals loss, what's your ideal offseason?
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2022, 11:51:55 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Actually put together a bench....our 7 man rotation caught up to us.

On the plus side, usually after a run like this vets want to jump on board.

I was complaining back in January about Ime playing a playoff rotation and he would eventually burn his guys out.

However, I don't think Tatum falling off a cliff in the Finals was because of fatigue. I think Wiggins simply shut him down and did it with his length and athleticism.

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2022, 11:54:15 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Actually put together a bench....our 7 man rotation caught up to us.

On the plus side, usually after a run like this vets want to jump on board.
Amen. We’ll fix our bench with ring chasers.

Two tough decisions:

1) How do we replace Al? His minutes should be cut back. A guy like Bobby Portis would be ideal IMO. But not sure how to make that happen.

2) Is Smart the answer at PG? His defense is obviously elite but we had nobody who could break down thr Warriors D. Any chance Smart for Lonzo Ball would be a possibility? I doubt it.

It wasn't elite in this series.
Overall our D was not a problem in this series. Especially given the 18-20 turnovers every game, our D played great. We lost this on offense.

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2022, 11:55:53 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
I would like a scorer off the bench and another reliable 4/5. That along with hopefully improvement from the core should be good. But I think it really starts with Brown and Tatum developing their games for the grit and grind of the playoffs. Better handles, better midrange game. Kinda incorporate some of Butler's offensive game into them.
I think Thad Young is the ideal bench big target. Can play 4/5 on both ends, is a good passer and a decent enough shooter. I think moving Smart/White for a more reliable offensive piece (in terms of shooting and dribble penetration) would be worthwhile.

The White move looks worse by the day. I was a fan of the move (except for the ridiculous 28 swap which I'm super concerned about), but I'm more and more skeptical of it. White has been a no-show all postseason except like three games, and he's pretty close to redundant with Smart. I'm not sure if we realistically can keep both of them this summer at their price points with how overlapping they are.

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2022, 11:57:31 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
I think we need a real PG. Smart is ok but the offense was terrible this series. The bench also needs a major upgrade. But yeah, this finals appearance should make this team better next year. I'm not sure though if we make it back to the big stage? That would depend on JT and JB taking it to the next level. Both are prone to too many silly turnovers.

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2022, 11:57:54 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'd get in on Mitchell. Offer them Smart, TL, GW and a few 1st. If he isn't available then go Picks, Smart and GW for Collins. Mitchell can be an Alpha. Collins would be long term replacement for Al.

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2022, 11:59:50 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I think we need a real PG. Smart is ok but the offense was terrible this series.

That's because we have no real offense. I don't think you can blame that solely on Smart.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2022, 12:02:09 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Get Tatum healthy. He has been great going to the rim all year and he totally shied away from contact this series. I don't care what anybody says, something isn't right with him.

Attempt to trade Al to a team who desires his veteran leadership. He is making too much money for what he provides and this is the last chance we'll have to replace his salary slot.

Trade White for a guard who can actually score. Sure, his defense is solid, but we need more from our back-up combo guard. It's not his fault - he is what he is - but we need a much better scorer off the bench. Feel free to use Theis to combine salary. Is Brogdon available?

Definitely use the TPE - I'd love Isaac or Aaron Gordon, but those are probably unreasonable asks. Josh Richardson is probably more in the ball-park of what we could get, and that is just hilarious.

We made the Finals, so at least we should be able to get vets who want to join us on the vet min, rather than Kornet, Morgan, Fitts types. Yes, I know every team has unplayable players at the end of their bench, but we have at least 6 of them.

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2022, 12:02:28 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
My ideal offseason involves me sticking to my current wish: to not pay one single moment of attention to a team that played us all for fools and totally wilted under the hot lights.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2022, 12:06:34 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
My ideal offseason involves me sticking to my current wish: to not pay one single moment of attention to a team that played us all for fools and totally wilted under the hot lights.

Hey, these guys had an unbelievable second half of the season and playoff run. They beat the defending champs in game 7 after going down 3-2, and they beat the Heat on the road in game 7. Gotta appreciate what they did and the effort they gave in the Finals. They just don't have that next level maturity yet. This is what you have to go through sometimes to get it.

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2022, 12:12:01 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 656
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Have to figure out if they have anything in PP and nesmith.

Let theis walk. Find another stretch big.

Don’t think the bench with just 3 guys contributing works. Not sure if the guys they have on the bench can be developed into winning players.’

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2022, 12:12:13 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
My questions for this offseason are, how do we replace Horford after next season, and how can we best use the trade exceptions?

Other than that, I think our improvement will come internally, mainly from guys learning from the finals loss and taking the next step in their games, and Rob getting healthy. White working with a shooting coach all summer would help a lot too. 

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2022, 12:13:56 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Consolidate some older end of Bench types into a Ime type rotation player. Hope Nesmith takes a jump next season.

Look into buying your way into draft, maaybe we might score a good coachable rookie

Get timelord properly healthy
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2022, 12:15:27 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 656
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Nesmith. He has to become a functional, contributor off the bench that can make shots. He has a skill set that they desperately need but for some reason can’t figure it out.

« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2022, 12:21:37 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Nesmith. He has to become a functional, contributor off the bench that can make shots. He has a skill set that they desperately need but for some reason can’t figure it out.

Agree here. Not sure what happened to him this season, but he's shown flashes. If he can just consistently hit shots and harness that chaotic energy defensively, he'd be exactly what this team needs.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2022, 12:23:12 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Hey, these guys had an unbelievable second half of the season and playoff run. They beat the defending champs in game 7 after going down 3-2, and they beat the Heat on the road in game 7. Gotta appreciate what they did and the effort they gave in the Finals. They just don't have that next level maturity yet. This is what you have to go through sometimes to get it.

Funny how the Warriors didn't have to go through that in their first Finals trip.

I know, good season, they turned things around, but that means nothing to me right now. These guys went from being on the verge of going up 3-1 to losing three straight and looking downright pathetic in the process. Like, they literally couldn't even hold on to the ball, or stop handing the ball (and easy points) to the Warriors.

For years we've been hearing how "the Celtics were built to beat the Warriors." Now we know what a farce that idea was.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis