Author Topic: Star Wars (shows and streaming)...  (Read 12593 times)

Star Wars (shows and streaming)...
« on: June 15, 2022, 08:50:33 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I guess we don't have a catch all thread for Star Wars shows.  So, now we have one.

Obi-wan...  What do people think?  Other than the absolute coolness of anything that involves Vader, I'm a bit let down.  I don't like what they did with supposedly 10-year-old Leia; they made her much too young and "cute".  I feel like I'm watching the girl from Bad Batch come to life.

But the big issue is the power dynamics.  Darth Vader is the dominant evil force in the universe.  Obi Wan is one of the most renowned jedis.  And yet, Sister 3 seems to be more clever, and even stronger at times, than them both put together, particularly Kenobi.  I don't mind the twist in Episode five, but it wasn't well written.  Vader's response was epic, but then there's an odd choice at the end.  Shrug. 

Fellow nerds?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 09:32:36 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Star Wars (shows and streaming)...
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2022, 09:56:11 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I still need to watch episode 5 but Obi-Wan has been disappointing so far.  Although, I'm not sure how it could live up to my expectations.  To me, he's one of the greatest characters in the Star Wars universe so, IMO, it's hard to do him justice.  With the timeline and what we know from canon, this timeline is essentially trying to thread a very small needle.

I wouldn't say the show has been a flatout dud.  It's had its moments but it's been pretty lackluster.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2022, 11:10:41 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I guess we don't have a catch all thread for Star Wars shows.  So, now we have one.

Obi-wan...  What do people think?  Other than the absolute coolness of anything that involves Vader, I'm a bit let down.  I don't like what they did with supposedly 10-year-old Leia; they made her much too young and "cute".  I feel like I'm watching the girl from Bad Batch come to life.

But the big issue is the power dynamics.  Darth Vader is the dominant evil force in the universe.  Obi Wan is one of the most renowned jedis.  And yet, Sister 3 seems to be more clever, and even stronger at times, than them both put together, particularly Kenobi.  I don't mind the twist in Episode five, but it wasn't well written.  Vader's response was epic, but then there's an odd choice at the end.  Shrug. 

Fellow nerds?

Ive just started watching I'm only one episode in but having a 10 year old daughter Leia just feels way way off. Her character in no way has the feel of a young women who will go on to lead a rebel resistance.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2022, 11:36:04 AM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
i kind of like the young princess leia

her and obi wan together are giving me a mando / baby yoda vibe, only the baby can talk :)

i assume thats kind of what they were going for?

my only other thought is - they mad a huge deal about bringing back hayden christiansen and im happy for him
but umm. couldnt anyone play darth vader given its a full costume with no facial expressions and even voice over for dialogue??

other than that its a fun show
but yeah only so much drama u can make when the audience already knows the fate of all the major players

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2022, 11:55:35 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Fellow nerds?

Ive just started watching I'm only one episode in but having a 10 year old daughter Leia just feels way way off. Her character in no way has the feel of a young women who will go on to lead a rebel resistance.

Agreed.  And, at age 10, doesn't her growth seem significantly stunted?  If they'd said she was five, maybe I'd buy it.  There's a pretty significate different between a kindergartener and a fourth grader.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2022, 11:56:38 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

my only other thought is - they mad a huge deal about bringing back hayden christiansen and im happy for him
but umm. couldnt anyone play darth vader given its a full costume with no facial expressions and even voice over for dialogue??

Minor spoiler, but he gets some more face time in Episode 5.

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2022, 01:17:59 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
On the whole, I have found Obi-wan Kenobi to be good, rather than great. I can understand the criticism of how old and beat up Obi-wan came across especially in episode three. I find it is a level above the Book of Bobba Fett, but not on the level of the Mandalorian.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2022, 04:05:10 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
On the whole, I have found Obi-wan Kenobi to be good, rather than great. I can understand the criticism of how old and beat up Obi-wan came across especially in episode three. I find it is a level above the Book of Bobba Fett, but not on the level of the Mandalorian.

Boba Fett was a real disappointment, except where Mando was involved.

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2022, 10:05:23 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Love Mando, but disappointed by Fett and Obi-wan. It’s kind of like how Rogue One, an exceptional film and perhaps the best SW story outside the original trilogy, was followed up by the utterly lackluster Solo (even IMAX could not make that one good). Disney may be forgetting that part of the charm of SW back in the day was quality over quantity, in contrast to ST some might say (this is coming from a big fan of ST: OG and ST: TNG who recognizes most of those films with those characters should not have been made)?

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2022, 02:11:10 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  I just cancelled Disney . It wasn’t an easy decision. I don’t enjoy the Marvel stuff so it’s just Star Wars . But it’s like breaking an addiction. I think it’s been bad for so long but I keep wishing it to be better. But how they presented Luke in Mando just made me feel they dropped the ball again. Just throwing stuff out there for quick bucks and don’t care about the product ,really.  You can see they put care into” Andor”. I don’t know why they couldn’t do that with other stuff.  Disney  ( other than Rogue One)has been tough on Star Wars I think.

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2022, 02:25:08 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  I just cancelled Disney . It wasn’t an easy decision. I don’t enjoy the Marvel stuff so it’s just Star Wars . But it’s like breaking an addiction. I think it’s been bad for so long but I keep wishing it to be better. But how they presented Luke in Mando just made me feel they dropped the ball again. Just throwing stuff out there for quick bucks and don’t care about the product ,really.  You can see they put care into” Andor”. I don’t know why they couldn’t do that with other stuff.  Disney  ( other than Rogue One)has been tough on Star Wars I think.

I think the Star Wars content has been hit or miss.

I love the Mandolorian.

I like Bad Batch.

I enjoyed parts of Obi Wan, but was a bit let down.

I didn't care much for Book of Boba Fett.

Am I missing anything?  I'm looking forward to Andor and Ahsoka.  I want to see more stuff based around the Sith, too.  Vader, Maul, the ancient Sith lords. 

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2022, 02:40:17 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
All The Disney Star Wars stuff has been really bad and formulaic. It really has made those Star Wars prequels look good!

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2022, 02:52:04 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
All The Disney Star Wars stuff has been really bad and formulaic. It really has made those Star Wars prequels look good!

The prequels will always be hot garbage to me.  Wooden acting + Jar Jar, and then leaving almost all of the interesting stuff for an animated series (Clone Wars).

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2022, 04:18:45 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Obi-Wan was better than I expected..Boba Fett could been better..Mano is great
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2022, 04:32:56 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

I think the Star Wars content has been hit or miss.

I love the Mandolorian.

I like Bad Batch.

I enjoyed parts of Obi Wan, but was a bit let down.

I didn't care much for Book of Boba Fett.

Am I missing anything?  I'm looking forward to Andor and Ahsoka.  I want to see more stuff based around the Sith, too.  Vader, Maul, the ancient Sith lords.

I liked Mando, but Baby Yoda kinda handcuffed it. The best episodes were the ones he wasn't in. I was looking forward to season 3, but after just watching Boba, I don't know. At least they made it so he can do more than sit around getting into trouble.

Bad batch was good, I think season two will be better, it' seems all the animated stuff take a season to get going.

Clone wars wrapped on D+.That was pretty good, two weird filler episodes in such a short season.

Boba Fett was hot garbage. One decent Ep was with Mando, who is actually how Boba was suppose to act. I get character arch and him becoming nicer, but it happened before he go in good with the sand people trying to help the other captive. He would have left him. Even the actor said he talked too much, took his helmet off too much(which is rare for an actor to say Cough Pedro Cough). Plus you had a 60 year old playing some one whos should be in their 40's. I was like when Samuel L Jackson played his younger self in Capt Marvel, a 30ish year old Nick Fury fighting like he was in his 60's. lol And the Rainbow Bright biker gang was dumb and out of place. "we can't find work up look at our new bikes that we wont sell to eat". Stupid.

I was looking forward to Obi-Wan, out side of some cool Vader fight stuff, it was trash. Obiwan should have never met Liea, maybe go on an adventure with Luke since in Ep 4 Luke recognizes him pretty fast for some one who he only talked to for like 5 minutes. Reeva was pointless and no way Vader or the Emp would have been tricked by her. And if she was trying to killl Vader, why go after Luke? Leia is now known to have a connection to Obi Wan, and they never exploit that again? I think the writer even said they only watched Ep 3 when they started writing. This has been a them of Marvel and Star Wars writers as of late, no research cause they don't respect the material or the fans.

There are fan films that have been better than what Disney has produced. Even the park is garbage. Only thing that feels like Star Wars was seeing the Falcon, everything else feel generic.