Author Topic: Beatles and AI - Now and Then  (Read 2661 times)

Beatles and AI - Now and Then
« on: November 04, 2023, 09:13:09 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
Pretty amazing.  Also pretty sure I don’t understand at all how they did this. But nonetheless, a new Beatles song with John, Paul, and Ringo singing. Idk if somehow they got George’s voice in there….?
I like the song and the video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Opxhh9Oh3rg

Re: Beatles and AI - Now and Then
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2023, 09:43:49 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
It's a very mediocre Beatles track...

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2023, 10:00:01 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Really nice Beatles track. The AI hype aspect of it is misleading, as all they used AI for was to separate the instruments and vocals off the original cassette demo Lennon had recorded before he died so that they could use the individual tracks to mix in the studio with the new parts the other guys recorded over the years, as most bands do.

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2023, 10:13:33 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I heard this for the first time unexpectedly (it was shuffled in on an Apple Music station).  I had no idea it was a thing, so I had no expectations and had to sort of
Piece together the puzzle.  It’s a perfectly listenable song that kind of sounds like a lot of different elements of different Beatles eras, but somehow fails to have its own identity (pun kind of intended).  One of the great mysteries of the Beatles short run is “what would they have evolved into if they’d stayed together.  This doesn’t move that meter forward at all for me. 

Video was interesting but hurt my brain a little!
Yup

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2023, 10:17:41 AM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1806
I'm a Beatles fan and I liked it.  Paul looks amazing for 81!  We should all be so lucky.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2023, 11:36:47 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Decent. Peter Jackson was the Director and Producer of the video.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 01:10:27 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2023, 01:55:53 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
full disclosure, I am a huge beatles fan.   I have all the albums.  I am one of those nuts who watched the peter jackson get back at least 3 times now.  So I am a bealtes nut.  I am also a musician and I know how to play a LOT of their songs on guitar and piano. 

I have to say Now and Then sounds really unfinished both musically and lyrically.  To me it is definitely my least favorite of the 3 songs they started / recorded for the anthology because of that lack of development of the song itself.   I know they overdubbed the orchestra on it, and Lennon's voice sounds better due to the de-mixing of his demo and removal of the piano.  But all of that doesn't make it a better song.  It is just kind of bleh for me.  It feels like McCartney really wanted to do this and so they did it.

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2023, 02:40:48 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens

Listen again. I liked it better the second time.  And I think I’ll toss them a mulligan either way.

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2023, 02:49:02 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

Listen again. I liked it better the second time.  And I think I’ll toss them a mulligan either way.

Yeah, they are still the Beatles but Now and Then just seems weak to me. I've listened to it serval times but I'm still not loving it. Maybe I'll listen another time... Not having George martin producing it doesn't help.

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2023, 02:51:45 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
It doesn’t bother me much not to love the song. Watching old clips of all of them, especially John and George, tugs at my heart.
‘Meet the Beatles’ came out when I was 6 and was the only music in my house for a good while (my 12 year old brother and 14 year old sister).  Beatles remain the primary music of my life - I listen to Beatles tracks every day in my car. So it’s nice to hear the voices, see the images, enjoy the memories again. Lennon’s murder was shocking at the time, and it still frustrates me often when I think what could have been had he lived. Certainly they would have played together again.

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2023, 07:47:41 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
 I just think the whole thing is great. I thought the video being humorous was a nice touch. I think it was definitely worth the effort. Must be special for a Paul and Ringo and come with George and John’s family’s blessing. As I get older I’ll take what I can get from older entertainers I once loved or still enjoy, even if it’s mediocre.

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2023, 12:38:20 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Real people making real music still!

https://youtu.be/s_yZWjnip6w?si=Ub3j8t7nPNrgxuqk
Yup