Author Topic: Hustle on Netflix  (Read 7888 times)

Hustle on Netflix
« on: June 08, 2022, 02:18:37 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Anyone else excited to see this movie starring Adam Sandler as a 76ers scout? It should be dropping at Midnight Hollywood time (3am  EST)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 11:19:45 PM by JSD »
The only color that matters is GREEN

Re: Hustle on Netlix
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2022, 04:33:44 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
Good movie. Brad Stevens actually has a cameo at the end of it too

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 06:58:06 AM »

Offline kiwiceltic

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 16
Enjoyed it too, Juancho wasn’t half bad as an actor either. Some great cameos, especially 22yr old Boban 😂

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2022, 07:23:51 AM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772
Looking forward to seeing the movie.  BTW, that is Netflix.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 07:38:06 AM by Silas »
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2022, 11:20:10 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
Looking forward to seeing the movie.  BTW, that is Netflix.

lol. Touche

Re: Hustle on Netflix
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2022, 11:22:25 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Just finished it.  Kept me entertained.  Enjoyed it overall.  Liked seeing all the secret games and behind the scenes type stuff and given how many actual people were in it, I suspect that stuff is pretty accurate.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2022, 11:32:44 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
Sandler has had a great career. Made tons of money on slapstick and now has turned in solid performances with this and Uncut Gems. I thought Anthony Edwards was good in it as well.

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2022, 10:59:27 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Honestly the biggest problem I had with the movie was I had a hard time believing that Juancho Hernangomez was a unicorn type prospect.  And it had nothing to do with his acting, which I thought was fine, it had to do with the fact that I've seen him actually play basketball.  This isn't Ray Allen as Jesus Shuttlesworth or even Anthony Edwards in the movie playing a high level prospect.  Hernangomez just isn't the type of player he was portrayed as.  I know it is a movie and all, but I think they'd have been better off not casting an actual NBA player as the lead or casting an actual good NBA player in the role. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2022, 02:11:28 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Good movie. Brad Stevens actually has a cameo at the end of it too

Really glad that he's able to make a living as a GM.

Mike

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2022, 05:47:14 PM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 244
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
Honestly the biggest problem I had with the movie was I had a hard time believing that Juancho Hernangomez was a unicorn type prospect.  And it had nothing to do with his acting, which I thought was fine, it had to do with the fact that I've seen him actually play basketball.  This isn't Ray Allen as Jesus Shuttlesworth or even Anthony Edwards in the movie playing a high level prospect.  Hernangomez just isn't the type of player he was portrayed as.  I know it is a movie and all, but I think they'd have been better off not casting an actual NBA player as the lead or casting an actual good NBA player in the role.

This!!!!!!

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2022, 07:42:53 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

This!!!!!!

I liked it a lot but agree.  Juancho was not completely believable on being a unicorn.  He did surprise me with some of the dribbling drills but we know he's a below average player so it's hard to look at him and believe what they are portraying.  Any avid NBA fan will have a hard time but it wont bither everyone else since they will not have much of a clue who he really is.

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2022, 05:20:18 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
I liked it, but rather than Anthony Edwards being the antagonist, they would have been better served by having Anthony Edwards play the star as some mysterious Euro, and have the film revolve around him with someone else playing the role of Kermit (I’m sure Edwards could have pulled off a French or British accent, or just dub over his voice). We need to suspend disbelief in most movies, but doing so when Juancho is presented as a unicorn was a bridge too far. Juancho’s acting was good, but we know he’s below average in the NBA. Edwards as the next big star, a true diamond in the rough discovered by a hard working scout, would have been more believable and exciting. He looked incredible as Kermit at times. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 05:25:41 AM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2022, 09:33:35 AM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I liked it, but rather than Anthony Edwards being the antagonist, they would have been better served by having Anthony Edwards play the star as some mysterious Euro, and have the film revolve around him with someone else playing the role of Kermit (I’m sure Edwards could have pulled off a French or British accent, or just dub over his voice). We need to suspend disbelief in most movies, but doing so when Juancho is presented as a unicorn was a bridge too far. Juancho’s acting was good, but we know he’s below average in the NBA. Edwards as the next big star, a true diamond in the rough discovered by a hard working scout, would have been more believable and exciting. He looked incredible as Kermit at times.

Agreed on the Juancho factor.  Although it does go to prove just how elite even the worst NBA player is.

Very watchable hoops movie.
Yup

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2022, 11:56:13 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  I thought it was a very formulaic sports movie . I wasn’t expecting anything more. But I appreciated Sandler’s clear love for hoops and the first hoop movie with a training montage. General sports fans have no idea all the boring back breaking drills these guys have to do every single day to get better and not go the other way and LOSE feel for the ball. Dribbling drills are just awful.
  Also, I could not tell the difference in talent between a pro player and a teenage future Olympian in person when I’m embarrassing myself trying to get in their way at all.

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2022, 10:50:19 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
  I thought it was a very formulaic sports movie . I wasn’t expecting anything more. But I appreciated Sandler’s clear love for hoops and the first hoop movie with a training montage. General sports fans have no idea all the boring back breaking drills these guys have to do every single day to get better and not go the other way and LOSE feel for the ball. Dribbling drills are just awful.
  Also, I could not tell the difference in talent between a pro player and a teenage future Olympian in person when I’m embarrassing myself trying to get in their way at all.

Formulaic is right. And you are correct that that was expected. It was an OK movie, nothing special and certainly far from the worst.  Too predictable for me to really like it and Sandler was average in the role. I think the players including Juancho did some decent/passable acting and for me that was what kept me watching.  But when you basically know the script after the first few scenes, it’s not really all that special or enjoyable.