Author Topic: Cousy vs. J.J. Redick  (Read 2744 times)

Re: Cousy vs. J.J. Redick
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2022, 07:41:44 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
The thing that people who write off players from earlier eras (conveniently the eras before they were born and started watching) don't realize is that you can chain players from eras together, by just looking at who has played together. E.g. Cousy played in the 50s and 60s, but he played the same time as Oscar Robertson and Jerry West into the 60s. West and Robertson played into the 70s at the a young Walt Frazier towards the end of their careers. In the mid-75s Frazier played at the same time as a young Paul Westphal. In the 80s Westphal was 5 years older and played the same time as a young Magic and Norm Nixon. . In the mid-80s Magic and Nixon were joined by Isiah Thomas. In the 90s Isiah and Magic played at the same time as a young John Stockton. And so on...I have the chain below.

Statistically when you look at these guys and compare between eras, you can also end up comparing different eras of different players who didn't play at the same time as each other. Obviously there are rules changes and player aging and all those things, but I think Cousy's record both individually and relative to others he played with, who then played with others after him, stands up pretty well. The bridge players aren't necessarily there because they are all time greats, but more so as good players who can act as a relative frame of reference between eras.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2022, 07:49:43 PM »

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
Just adding this for anyone who wants to hear Cous say it instead of just reading it (it's worth a listen): https://streamable.com/26cb6s

Outstanding.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2022, 10:16:17 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I have only listened to a few of Redick's podcast / interviews but I have already heard him say things like this multiple times. It rubs me the wrong way.

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2022, 10:17:25 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Cousy dispatched him with class. I think people ignore the obvious thing to do (compare eras without being inflammatory or disrespectful) in the pursuit of views.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)