Author Topic: Will Smith smacks Chris Rock at Oscars  (Read 21965 times)

Re: Will Smith smacks Chris Rock at Oscars
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2022, 02:09:24 AM »

Kiorrik

Nah that stuff was real.

Hey couple thoughts cuz I've seen this all over social media.

First off, what Will did was quite obviously a wrong reaction. You don't go up and punch someone in response to a joke.

Second, I see people compare it to Ricky Gervais. There's a HUGE DIFFERENCE between making fun of people because they're ****s, and making fun of someone for their disease. Making fun of someone for doing something stupid is one thing, but making fun of someone for something that happened TO them, that's off. Way off.

Third, I can kinda see how it'd get Will fed up. This is literally the highest highlight of his career; an Oscar. Quite literally what he's worked towards his entire life. And then someone has the gall to make it possibly one of the lowest points of his wife's career, by making fun of her disease.

Yeah. Classless act by Chris Rock, amazing it got approved by the association, and well, Will should've handled that heaps differently.

Nobody looks good here.

.edit: also and not inimportantly; we seem to have lost grasp on our ability to tell what's real and what's fake in the media. Which is rather sad. I'll gladly eat my words if this was all staged though.

I think you’ve got the events all mixed up.

Chris Rock made the joke BEFORE Smith even knew he won.

These were all pre-approved jokes, Chris was just reading from a teleprompter.

You may find the joke in bad taste but it’s a joke, and it’s not about a woman’s life threatening disease, she’s just going bald.

What I find disgusting is that Smith walked over to Chris Rock, hit him, walked back to his seat and then swore at the top of his lungs and security did nothing. Essentially Chris was assaulted doing his job in front of hundreds of people, security and they all just let it happen. This is an example of why people despise Hollywood, because it’s just another example of powerful people doing what they like and no one doing a thing.

That's why I started by saying Will did the wrong thing.

That's why I said I was amazed the association approved the jokes.

And also I didn't imply this happened before he got the Oscar. I even saw the speech afterwards. Which was super emotional.

.edit: and I wrote that post because I think it's important to understand the difference between making jokes about people's choices, and making jokes about what's been done to someone. If you don't understand the difference between the two types of jokes, I dunno what else to tell you buddy.

.edit2: maybe the misunderstanding comes from the fact that I called it the association. Which, my bad, should've been the Academy. (I got that confused with the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, who host the Golden Globes.)

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2022, 02:30:05 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Nah that stuff was real.

Hey couple thoughts cuz I've seen this all over social media.

First off, what Will did was quite obviously a wrong reaction. You don't go up and punch someone in response to a joke.

Second, I see people compare it to Ricky Gervais. There's a HUGE DIFFERENCE between making fun of people because they're ****s, and making fun of someone for their disease. Making fun of someone for doing something stupid is one thing, but making fun of someone for something that happened TO them, that's off. Way off.

Third, I can kinda see how it'd get Will fed up. This is literally the highest highlight of his career; an Oscar. Quite literally what he's worked towards his entire life. And then someone has the gall to make it possibly one of the lowest points of his wife's career, by making fun of her disease.

Yeah. Classless act by Chris Rock, amazing it got approved by the association, and well, Will should've handled that heaps differently.

Nobody looks good here.

.edit: also and not inimportantly; we seem to have lost grasp on our ability to tell what's real and what's fake in the media. Which is rather sad. I'll gladly eat my words if this was all staged though.

I think you’ve got the events all mixed up.

Chris Rock made the joke BEFORE Smith even knew he won.

These were all pre-approved jokes, Chris was just reading from a teleprompter.

You may find the joke in bad taste but it’s a joke, and it’s not about a woman’s life threatening disease, she’s just going bald.

What I find disgusting is that Smith walked over to Chris Rock, hit him, walked back to his seat and then swore at the top of his lungs and security did nothing. Essentially Chris was assaulted doing his job in front of hundreds of people, security and they all just let it happen. This is an example of why people despise Hollywood, because it’s just another example of powerful people doing what they like and no one doing a thing.

That's why I started by saying Will did the wrong thing.

That's why I said I was amazed the association approved the jokes.

And also I didn't imply this happened before he got the Oscar. I even saw the speech afterwards. Which was super emotional.

.edit: and I wrote that post because I think it's important to understand the difference between making jokes about people's choices, and making jokes about what's been done to someone. If you don't understand the difference between the two types of jokes, I dunno what else to tell you buddy.

.edit2: maybe the misunderstanding comes from the fact that I called it the association. Which, my bad, should've been the Academy. (I got that confused with the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, who host the Golden Globes.)

My apologies I must have misread your post, sorry.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2022, 02:39:13 AM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
The Oscars ratings are abysmal so I wouldn’t doubt if it was fake. And if it was fake, Will Smith certainly deserves that Academy award.

Leaning towards real
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2022, 02:46:28 AM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2022, 03:16:42 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The Oscars ratings are abysmal so I wouldn’t doubt if it was fake. And if it was fake, Will Smith certainly deserves that Academy award.

Leaning towards real
Couldn’t be fake - they couldn’t orchestrate something this juicy
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2022, 03:20:09 AM »

Kiorrik

Leaning towards real

Couldn’t be fake - they couldn’t orchestrate something this juicy

The only - still farfetched - thing I could believe is that they left the joke in on purpose, expecting a reaction that was FAR less violent. Which would be absolutely disgusting.

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2022, 05:20:24 AM »

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
It's a tremendous meme template regardless of the context.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2022, 06:05:50 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
The justification of “protecting my family” is about as disgusting a piece of macho garbage as I’ve ever seen played out publicly.  The fact that he was and will be heralded by some for it is emblematic of the struggle this adolescent society is in the midst of.

I didn’t hear the Chris Rock joke and I’m sure it was obnoxious but the response was in line with the grandiosity of his acceptance speech, in which King Will seems to see himself as one with great purpose for the world - and a god-appointed vesicle for love.   A love vesicle rationalizing violence as the deep emotional expression of his uniquely inspirational passion. 

Looked real to me.

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2022, 06:27:31 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
What I find disgusting is that Smith casually walked over to Chris Rock, hit him, walked back to his seat, swore at the top of his lungs…and security did nothing.

Chris was assaulted doing his job in front of hundreds of people and they all just let it happen.

Agreed.  It’s probably good for their ratings though.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 07:07:52 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2022, 06:59:30 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
The ratings are trending down and hurting.  This was a publicity stunt.

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2022, 07:00:10 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
I wish that both guys can get together and fix Rob's knee.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2022, 07:25:09 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
The ratings are trending down and hurting.  This was a publicity stunt.

I hope so.  TBH, Rock's response was clearly taken aback, thrown off, and seemingly real -- though far less deterred than I would have been under the circumstances.  If planned, I think Rock would have come out of it with something better than he did.  And Smith, who initially laughed at the joke, comes off looking maniacal and later, grandiose.

From a historical context, America sees a black man win an best actor Oscar as a black woman is nominated to the supreme court and then watches that black man assault another black man for making a joke.  Jada of course perfectly capable of defending herself if she wanted to address it afterward.  Will, of course, making it about him.... and "love".   

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2022, 08:51:06 AM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
This was obviously stage by Jake Paul to hype an undercard bout at his next fight.

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2022, 10:29:05 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
What a weird story to wake up and find out about this morning.

Watched the video clip and noticed Will laughed at the joke at first while Jada didn't. Then Will gets up and slaps Rock. Guess he needed to do something dramatic to make up for it.

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2022, 10:30:58 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
That ranks up there for one of the most surreal, did that really just happen moments I've seen on live TV.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team