Author Topic: Red Sox 2022  (Read 37269 times)

Re: Red Sox 2022
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2022, 10:26:42 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Looks like Boegarts is still willing to negotiate, even after being absolutely low-balled in extension talks.

https://sports.yahoo.com/xander-bogaerts-just-gave-red-132300377.html

Meanwhile, Trevor Story has a .561 OPS.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2022, 10:48:05 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Looks like Boegarts is still willing to negotiate, even after being absolutely low-balled in extension talks.

Story is at least showing signs of coming out his funk the last handful of games. It didn’t help he signed late in spring training, then soon thereafter at the beginning of season missed some time with his wife giving birth to a child. I think Story is going to end up fine.

Hope they get a deal done with Boegarts.

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2022, 11:05:27 AM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59

Story has had a tough time in his first 1.5 months, no doubt. I also think that Boegarts has been hitting well.

Xander's defense has taken a hit: https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/red-sox/time-red-sox-consider-xander-bogaerts-future-shortstop

This, combined with his interest in making top money (like Mookie), makes Xander a less-attractive signing. Bloom got killed for not resigning Mookie, and he's now hitting .254.

I love Xander and his contributions to two rings. I'm ok seeing him go, especially if he wants north of $25m per year. Boegarts is less attractive as a 3B or even 1B/DH. I'm not expecting great things from Story's bat, but I think he will be a better defensive player than Xander, esp. in 5 years.

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2022, 12:09:46 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 89
The Red Sox started the season colder than the Celtics started theirs. At least the Celtics were mediocre.

Sox have turned the ship around the past 6 games. After Eovaldi got lit up by the Astros it’s like someone flipped a switch. Probably Trevor Story, who hit marshmallows the first 6 weeks of the season, if he even made contact. Now he’s mashing.

Hopefully some of the end of lineup guys start stepping up too. Franchy seems to finally want it, and there are some prospects waiting to be brought up. The Big 3 have been doing their part on offense but not getting any help. Defensively they haven’t been good either and down 2 starters hasn’t helped, but they still have time to get back to wild card competition. Unless the Yankees implode no one’s catching them this year.

Edit to say: Just like the Celtics, the Red Sox were terrible early, but if they start performing to their potential they could be a good team and make the playoffs. Too soon to completely write them off.

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2022, 12:19:17 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
The Red Sox started the season colder than the Celtics started theirs. At least the Celtics were mediocre.

Sox have turned the ship around the past 6 games. After Eovaldi got lit up by the Astros it’s like someone flipped a switch. Probably Trevor Story, who hit marshmallows the first 6 weeks of the season, if he even made contact. Now he’s mashing.

Hopefully some of the end of lineup guys start stepping up too. Franchy seems to finally want it, and there are some prospects waiting to be brought up. The Big 3 have been doing their part on offense but not getting any help. Defensively they haven’t been good either and down 2 starters hasn’t helped, but they still have time to get back to wild card competition. Unless the Yankees implode no one’s catching them this year.

Edit to say: Just like the Celtics, the Red Sox were terrible early, but if they start performing to their potential they could be a good team and make the playoffs. Too soon to completely write them off.

I hope you're right.  They're only three games back from the wild card.

A sample size of six in an 162 season isn't going to get my hopes up, though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2022, 12:33:55 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

Story has had a tough time in his first 1.5 months, no doubt. I also think that Boegarts has been hitting well.

Xander's defense has taken a hit: https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/red-sox/time-red-sox-consider-xander-bogaerts-future-shortstop

This, combined with his interest in making top money (like Mookie), makes Xander a less-attractive signing. Bloom got killed for not resigning Mookie, and he's now hitting .254.

I love Xander and his contributions to two rings. I'm ok seeing him go, especially if he wants north of $25m per year. Boegarts is less attractive as a 3B or even 1B/DH. I'm not expecting great things from Story's bat, but I think he will be a better defensive player than Xander, esp. in 5 years.

I mean, we desperately need a 1B.

And I don't think Xander's offense is predicated on speed the way Mookie's is.

Can we afford the leadership gap of him leaving?

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2022, 12:41:10 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
I just made a purchase at Jordan’s Furniture, so I need the Sox to win the Series in a sweep!  They’ve got a ways to go, but I think this team has it in them!

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2022, 12:42:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Bloom got killed for not resigning Mookie, and he's now hitting .254.

He's now hitting .273 (45th in MLB), with a league-leading 40 runs scored, 10 HRs (7th), and 24 RBIs (22nd).  His OPS is .888 (14th), just percentage points below his career average (.890).  He's 15th in WAR.

Trading him was still one of the bigger mistakes in Red Sox history in my opinion.

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2022, 12:45:26 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I just made a purchase at Jordan’s Furniture, so I need the Sox to win the Series in a sweep!  They’ve got a ways to go, but I think this team has it in them!

I don't care about the Sox or baseball, but I do want you to get free furniture, so Go Red Sox!

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2022, 12:47:21 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

I don't care about the Sox or baseball, but I do want you to get free furniture, so Go Red Sox!

Thanks!  Made the purchase Wednesday and they’re undefeated since then, so if this continues, you’re welcome Sox fans!

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2022, 01:25:32 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

I mean, we desperately need a 1B.

And I don't think Xander's offense is predicated on speed the way Mookie's is.

Can we afford the leadership gap of him leaving?

What this team really needs is a true closer. Maybe move Whitlock back to the bullpen but idk they seem content with keeping him in the rotation.

You get Sale + Paxton back in July with 1 guy in the rotation, another probably in the bullpen. Hopefully then Chaim makes two moves at the deadline. One for another bat (1B, OF or depth), and a pitcher (either another high leverage reliever or a solid starter).

The Sox are just 3 back of a wild card spot and just 5-6 back of the first two wild card spots as well with 120+ games to go. Despite the atrocious start by Boston their season is far from over. They can still play a lot of meaningful games this summer and hopefully Fall

Another thing to factor, after the White Sox series this week they play 5 against Baltimore, then have series against the Reds and A’s. Those are also bad teams and if the Sox take advantage and go say, 9-4 in that stretch, they’ll have a winning record and maybe even be right there for the wild card depending on how Toronto does.

Edit: Sorry this was more meant as a reply to Roy above but it also pertains to your post too Kraidstar lol (the first part)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2022, 02:20:28 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

He's now hitting .273 (45th in MLB), with a league-leading 40 runs scored, 10 HRs (7th), and 24 RBIs (22nd).  His OPS is .888 (14th), just percentage points below his career average (.890).  He's 15th in WAR.

Trading him was still one of the bigger mistakes in Red Sox history in my opinion.

In history seems a little much. He is essentially going to be getting paid ~$30M/yr until he is 40 years old. And he isn't even 30 yet. At least they were able to trade him, rather than just letting him go for free. I get that the Red Sox organization has infinite money and he's definitely not the kind-of player a franchise in our position chooses to let go, but his contract is definitely concerning. Even though he is still good, he's not exactly elite at this point either.

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2022, 03:14:25 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

In history seems a little much. He is essentially going to be getting paid ~$30M/yr until he is 40 years old. And he isn't even 30 yet. At least they were able to trade him, rather than just letting him go for free. I get that the Red Sox organization has infinite money and he's definitely not the kind-of player a franchise in our position chooses to let go, but his contract is definitely concerning. Even though he is still good, he's not exactly elite at this point either.

The part of this that is not being acknowledged is whether or not he actually wanted to be in Boston.  Hard for fans to know but I did not get the feeling he wanted to sign with Boston for any amount of money.  It sure seemed like he wanted to be somewhere else.

Even that aside, can you really say that this was a good signing for LAL?  Mookie is a very good player and in 10 years, $30M may not seem like a huge contract but these long superstar contracts, especially for a player who may be a star but not a superstar, tend not to work out.

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2022, 03:18:31 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

How do you define elite?  A top-15 player offensively and still a very good defender.  Is that elite?

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2022, 03:36:03 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

I hope you're right.  They're only three games back from the wild card.

A sample size of six in an 162 season isn't going to get my hopes up, though.

Paxson and Sale are two significant wildcards.  You don't know what you are going to get.  But if both are decent, the team gets better.  If both are actually good, even better.  If one or the other plays at an all star level, look out, we may end up with the best rotation in baseball.

The production from these two is likely something far less than best case but you just don't know.