Author Topic: Red Sox 2022  (Read 38241 times)

Re: Red Sox 2022
« Reply #90 on: July 28, 2022, 01:33:50 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
This team keeps snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Lost 7-6 tonight after a Cordero error in the 8th cost them a run. One of three errors for him. Red Sox are 6-17 in July and have lost 11 of their last 13. Ouch. Think Tampa Bay on the Charles will be buyers or sellers at the trade deadline  :angel:

Should be sellers, because even if they get back to playing .500 ball, or even slightly better—which is asking quite a bit at this point—they’re not going far in the postseason (even if they made the postseason). Too many holes in this roster.

You'd have to keep Devers...what about Bogy? I think we should keep him as well. Get rid of everyone else  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #91 on: July 28, 2022, 02:05:53 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Yankees are getting ex-Red Sox Andrew Benintendi, who Chaim traded. Benintendi is coming off his first All-Star appearance.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2022, 09:41:59 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
It's just wonderful that Winckowski has a dud Tuesday, then Cordero makes 3 errors last night, and then to top it off the guy we traded to acquire those 2 is an all-star in 2022 and got dealt to the Yankees. Ugh.

And btw I still think Winckowski could be a solid back-end SP long term. But overall that Benintendi trade looks terrible. Jury's out on the other 3 prospects but idk if we can realistically expect any of them to contribute soon anyways. Franchy though is a lost cause, just DFA him please
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2022, 11:46:01 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
This team keeps snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Lost 7-6 tonight after a Cordero error in the 8th cost them a run. One of three errors for him. Red Sox are 6-17 in July and have lost 11 of their last 13. Ouch. Think Tampa Bay on the Charles will be buyers or sellers at the trade deadline  :angel:

Should be sellers, because even if they get back to playing .500 ball, or even slightly better—which is asking quite a bit at this point—they’re not going far in the postseason (even if they made the postseason). Too many holes in this roster.

You'd have to keep Devers...what about Bogy? I think we should keep him as well. Get rid of everyone else  :angel:

Well, if it was up to me I'd keep both. Boston should be able to afford both.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2022, 02:17:27 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Conservative estimate, I bet ownership could double payroll and still be feeling fine.  FSG has a $9.81 billion valuation.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2022, 05:05:33 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Conservative estimate, I bet ownership could double payroll and still be feeling fine.  FSG has a $9.81 billion valuation.

I agree. I think it's just a matter of whether they want to pony up.

I recall reading some stuff that suggested (at least, to my mind) that ownership would spend big in a few years, like when Casas/Mayer/etc. are (hopefully) established big-leaguers, but I think they've got a good foundation with Devers and Bogaerts and that they should add around those two. Especially considering that current prospects aren't sure bets, but Bogie and Devers are proven.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2022, 07:25:08 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Injuries have been devastating to this team. If they are close to fully healthy I still think they can do some damage. Prior to the last 15 or so games they were on a long run of really good play, and that’s without Sale around. The deadline will be interesting though. It may not be straight selling or buying. Could be a little mix of both, and I expect X to stick around.

« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2022, 08:12:44 AM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
Xander is gone. I don’t think that Chaim Bloom would have paid for Story to play 2B for a year, then SS after if he was planning on signing Xander. I believe someone will overspend and Bloom doesn’t seem like that guy.

Fevers is the guy I want. A couple more years of 3B then DH.

Who knows about Casas and Meyer? They both could be awesome or flame out.

I don’t like the way the Red Sox have been playing. I do like that Bloom is trying to build something from the bottom up. I think it’s the right way to build a baseball team. I’d rather they make FA splurges when the rest of the team is ready to compete. Currently, our pitching stinks. I don’t mind if they tank this year and get ready for 2023.

« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2022, 08:39:32 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Xander is gone. I don’t think that Chaim Bloom would have paid for Story to play 2B for a year, then SS after if he was planning on signing Xander. I believe someone will overspend and Bloom doesn’t seem like that guy.

Fevers is the guy I want. A couple more years of 3B then DH.

Who knows about Casas and Meyer? They both could be awesome or flame out.

I don’t like the way the Red Sox have been playing. I do like that Bloom is trying to build something from the bottom up. I think it’s the right way to build a baseball team. I’d rather they make FA splurges when the rest of the team is ready to compete. Currently, our pitching stinks. I don’t mind if they tank this year and get ready for 2023.

I disagree with your first statement. Story has been elite defensively at 2B, and having 2 very good hitters in the middle of your infield is a huge plus. I believe plan A is to have both Xander and Story going forward as the Sox management have repeatedly said they want to keep Xander long term. Xander has had a dip in power, but I’m not too concerned as I believe he’s been dealing with a nagging shoulder injury since late May that shouldn’t be a long term problem. Let’s not forget Xander was huge in recruiting Story to sign here. Plan B would be if we lost X in free agency you can always move Story over to SS, though there are also other very good SS in this free agent class.

With Price, Eovaldi, Vasquez, K Hernandez, JD, Wacha and Hill’s (estimating in my head around 80 mil) contracts all coming off the books after this season there is more than enough money for a Xander and Devers extension, and other free agent signings.

« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2022, 09:26:48 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
X-Man probably isn't getting traded this deadline, he said so himself:

https://twitter.com/jcmccaffrey/status/1552843094910967810?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Xander Bogaerts said he’s been told personally he’s not getting traded and that’s been a bit of a relief. Also said he wasn’t sure if he was supposed to say that and hopes he doesn’t get in trouble
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2022, 12:49:06 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Would you mortgage the future and offer up Meyer and next three top minors? Would solve pitching and hitting in one swoop!

https://sports.yahoo.com/angels-not-ruling-out-shohei-ohtani-trade-but-would-want-your-top-4-prospects-025813430.html

« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2022, 12:53:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Would you mortgage the future and offer up Meyer and next three top minors? Would solve pitching and hitting in one swoop!

https://sports.yahoo.com/angels-not-ruling-out-shohei-ohtani-trade-but-would-want-your-top-4-prospects-025813430.html
Yup. Dude is that good. And also, our top prospects aren't that great.

« Reply #102 on: August 02, 2022, 01:18:34 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Seems like this is the place to discuss the Sox moves.  We added Tommy Pham (a decent right hand batting OF) and Reese McGuire (a lesser offensive catcher to replace Vazquez) plus two prospects (I have no idea how good they may be) for Vazquez and Diekman.  I must say, I don't understand giving up Vazquez, they must already plan to move on from him and promote some of the younger (cheaper) options and figure let's at least get a couple of prospects.  I don't know how to judge this move.  Vazquez is not a core player or a star, he is a solid catcher which is important to a team.  It may not hurt the team so much for the rest of the season, we'll see.  I think the guy coming in (McGuire) is supposed to have a better arm and is good defensively, but we are giving up some production.

Tommy Pham seems like a good pick up.  He is an actual corner outfielder who can platoon with Bradley and maybe Verdugo.  That should improve the production from the outfield rotation.  Probably see a lot of Pham in Left, Verdugo in Right, especially against lefties.

Overall though, this is really just some deck chairs so far.  It is not like they are selling off the team but they also have not really done anything to improve things much.

« Reply #103 on: August 02, 2022, 01:22:41 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Seems like this is the place to discuss the Sox moves.  We added Tommy Pham (a decent right hand batting OF) and Reese McGuire (a lesser offensive catcher to replace Vazquez) plus two prospects (I have no idea how good they may be) for Vazquez and Diekman.  I must say, I don't understand giving up Vazquez, they must already plan to move on from him and promote some of the younger (cheaper) options and figure let's at least get a couple of prospects.  I don't know how to judge this move.  Vazquez is not a core player or a star, he is a solid catcher which is important to a team.  It may not hurt the team so much for the rest of the season, we'll see.  I think the guy coming in (McGuire) is supposed to have a better arm and is good defensively, but we are giving up some production.

Tommy Pham seems like a good pick up.  He is an actual corner outfielder who can platoon with Bradley and maybe Verdugo.  That should improve the production from the outfield rotation.  Probably see a lot of Pham in Left, Verdugo in Right, especially against lefties.

Overall though, this is really just some deck chairs so far.  It is not like they are selling off the team but they also have not really done anything to improve things much.

It's all about bringing in high-character guys.  Pham is currently most famous for a very public spat in his fantasy football league, and McGuire is primarily known for getting caught masturbating in public.

The moves downgraded the team in the near-term. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #104 on: August 02, 2022, 01:33:50 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Sad to see them move Christian Vázquez, dude has been with Boston since 2008 one way or another. Probably a cost saving move from someone that doesn't need any cost saving, and in the scheme of things, Christian is making peanuts. Just sad to see.