Author Topic: Juwan Howard punches Wisconsin assistant coach in the face...  (Read 27509 times)

Re: Juwan Howard punches Wisconsin assistant coach in the face...
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2022, 05:38:32 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Get over yourself Juwan.  It’s part of the game.  Maybe he’s salty because they actually had a timeout to use :-X
Is that part of the game? Because I have do not think I have ever seen a professional coach call a timeout up double digits with less than 30 seconds to go.

Yes.  The coach stated they had 4 seconds to get the ball across with his bench players in.  He called a timeout to reset it to 10 seconds.  I don’t get why people( not you) get their feelings hurt and throw around sportsmanship when they’re losing.  Did anyone intentionally not dunk the ball or go for 3 when they were downby 2 for sportsmanship sake?  It’s a game.  If you’re that thin skinned maybe find another sport to coach.  Wisconsins coach was actually coaching.  Something g Juwan Howard shoulda done and maybe his team wouldn’t have been in that situation.
Should Bobby Knight not have been a coach? Because he was plenty "thin-skinned" (going by your definition)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2022, 05:41:16 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Get over yourself Juwan.  It’s part of the game.  Maybe he’s salty because they actually had a timeout to use :-X
Is that part of the game? Because I have do not think I have ever seen a professional coach call a timeout up double digits with less than 30 seconds to go.

Yes.  The coach stated they had 4 seconds to get the ball across with his bench players in.  He called a timeout to reset it to 10 seconds.  I don’t get why people( not you) get their feelings hurt and throw around sportsmanship when they’re losing.  Did anyone intentionally not dunk the ball or go for 3 when they were downby 2 for sportsmanship sake?  It’s a game.  If you’re that thin skinned maybe find another sport to coach.  Wisconsins coach was actually coaching.  Something g Juwan Howard shoulda done and maybe his team wouldn’t have been in that situation.
Should Bobby Knight not have been a coach? Because he was plenty "thin-skinned" (going by your definition)
In Howard's defense (somewhat) if you've ever coached (I have) the emotions you go through on the sidelines can at times be intense. Especially when your team has played poorly and the other side is having a good ole time.

But Howard crossed a line with the slap - and it set off an ugly scene.  Right now he's probably glad he did it. Tomorrow he won't be.

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2022, 05:57:53 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I love my sports salty.

I love (hate) when guys get upset about breaking unwritten rules.

Stop me on the court/field during the game if you have a problem with how I'm playing.

That being said, Juwan's excuse seems pretty lame.

Added later that he felt he needed to protect himself, because Greg Gard touched him unnecessarily in the handshake line after he had gotten upset.

Juwan, you're 6'10", 250lb (at least, maybe packed on a few retirement pounds), there's nothing you needed to protect yourself from out there.

But the other coach's excuse is pretty lame too.  15 seconds left in a game with no chance of a comeback, there's no need to reset the clock.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 06:03:44 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2022, 06:23:18 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
Mark few got 3 games for a DUI, just saying

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2022, 06:25:23 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2022, 06:27:09 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I could be wrong but if it had been a player (an 18 year old) who threw a slap and started a brawl there would not be only a suspension but there would be talk about maturity and attitude, and if he was an NBA prospect he’d have cost himself a couple of rungs on the ladder.

Howard will probably get some respect from his players but I would guess he’ll think of it as a mistake and I bet he won’t do that again.

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2022, 06:35:45 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I could be wrong but if it had been a player (an 18 year old) who threw a slap and started a brawl there would not be only a suspension but there would be talk about maturity and attitude, and if he was an NBA prospect he’d have cost himself a couple of rungs on the ladder.

I'm not sure about that.  Marcus Smart maximized his draft potential after punching a fan.

There were questions about his maturity and attitude, and still are, but NBA teams must have liked the fire.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2022, 07:51:17 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
I love Juwan Howard, and had him as someone I wanted the Celtics to check in on last year.  Still, this was not a good moment for him at all.  He had an incident last year with the Maryland he’s coach as well.  It’s been a rough season for Michigan and he wears his heart on his sleeve, but he picked up two Ts in Michigan’s game on Thursday and now this today.

But also the Wisconsin coach is a Gard A moron (his team hated him so much that they secretly recorded his crap last year), so I wouldn’t call Howard’s actions as unprovoked.  But it wasn’t good.

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2022, 08:23:17 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

yes. he should have been removed as a coach. i was always disgusted by his behavior and his childish indulgence of his temper tantrums. and he verbally abused players as well.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2022, 08:43:37 PM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52
Kinda dig it. Stick up for your guys. The opposing coach was quite obviously being antagonistic, too.

Maybe he should do a better job of coaching.

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2022, 08:45:43 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
That’s a death blow for his career as a college coach .  Can be forgiven in NBA at some point ,  but it will stigmatize his career till he dies .  right or wrong that’s the way the world turns.

He was antagonized by the other guys no doubt , but as coach he needs to say his peace walk away if he can’t argue without physical fight……if he cares about keeping his job.

Welcome back to the NBA Mr Howard .

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2022, 08:50:24 PM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52
I love Juwan Howard, and had him as someone I wanted the Celtics to check in on last year.  Still, this was not a good moment for him at all.  He had an incident last year with the Maryland he’s coach as well.  It’s been a rough season for Michigan and he wears his heart on his sleeve, but he picked up two Ts in Michigan’s game on Thursday and now this today.

But also the Wisconsin coach is a Gard A moron (his team hated him so much that they secretly recorded his crap last year), so I wouldn’t call Howard’s actions as unprovoked.  But it wasn’t good.

it doesn't matter what the other coach is doing. Howard isn't a 7 year old who can carp that 'he started it'. There is no good message to his team here.

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2022, 09:09:26 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

it doesn't matter what the other coach is doing. Howard isn't a 7 year old who can carp that 'he started it'. There is no good message to his team here.

Matters a little bit.  Some angles/show the punched coach grabbing pushing a Michigan player immediately before Howard struck out.

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2022, 09:34:21 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

This is nonsense.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2022, 03:38:32 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
Hilarious. Here I was thinking they were disagreeing about which restaurant to go to afterwards  :laugh:

Looking at it though, I think Juwan definitely overreacted...he's a passionate guy who wants to win. But if he was mad that Wisconsin called a timeout, he should look at the reason they called a timeout - his team were executing a full court press. If he is upset that the Badgers were taking the game serious at that point, he should also look at his own team's actions. These are the whole "unwritten rules" governing supposed sportsmanship and disrespect that always cause more problems than they are worth.

The hit looked to be an accident but as a coach you're expected to set an example for sportsmanship. These kids will learn to be rude in the NBA soon enough  :angel:
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 03:57:35 AM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D