Author Topic: David Ortiz elected to Hall of Fame  (Read 19539 times)

David Ortiz elected to Hall of Fame
« on: January 25, 2022, 06:34:31 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
David Ortiz was the only player elected into the baseball hall of fame by the BBWAA, after receiving 77.9% of the vote.

Congrats to Big Papi. I can’t thank him enough for all he did during his time with the Boston Red Sox. He is well deserving of the hall of fame honor.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33145769/former-boston-red-sox-slugger-david-ortiz-lone-inductee-baseball-hall-fame-barry-bonds-roger-clemens-miss-again

Re: David Ortiz elected to Hall of Fame
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 06:43:32 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’m glad he’s in.  He was legitimately feared, and came through in huge moments.

Clemens, Bonds and Schilling should all be in, too.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 06:50:52 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Good for him!

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 07:12:28 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
I’m glad he’s in.  He was legitimately feared, and came through in huge moments.

Agree with all of this.

Way to go, Big Papi!
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2022, 07:24:42 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772
Big Papi, defined the word clutch.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2022, 08:07:41 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Believe he’s the first DH to make it. Bravo!
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2022, 08:11:34 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Edgar Martinez made it a few years back, I think. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 08:22:50 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

Edgar Martinez made it a few years back, I think.

Harold Baines too
Greg

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 08:24:01 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
So they put him in with a failed drug test but not other far superior players without a failed drug test. The shear hypocrisy of baseball hall of fame voters never ceases to amaze.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2022, 08:29:15 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
So they put him in with a failed drug test but not other far superior players without a failed drug test. The shear hypocrisy of baseball hall of fame voters never ceases to amaze.

False.

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2022, 08:30:49 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Clemens - Yes
Bonds - hell no.  no one on the roids should be in
Schilling - on the fence with him.  key pitcher for two WS winning teams but overall career, not good enough IMO

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2022, 08:48:14 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Clemens - Yes
Bonds - hell no.  no one on the roids should be in
Schilling - on the fence with him.  key pitcher for two WS winning teams but overall career, not good enough IMO
clemens pretty clearly did roids

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2022, 08:59:32 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

False.
I mean what is false there, Ortiz admitted he failed a test but then blamed supplements and vitamins.  Pretty classic excuse for failed test takers.  Then of course there is the less direct stuff like the DEA investigation into a Dominican drug lord connected to Ortiz, the failed assisnation attempt by a different Dominican drug lord, and a whole host of other seedy stuff. 

I have no issue with Ortiz in the HOF, but onky after far superior players like Bonds, Clemens, Sosa, McGuire, etc.  The hypocrisy of putting him in and not those others just taints the Hall.  It is just nonsense and every single person that failed to vote for Bonds and Clemens should have their vote revoked, especially if they voted for an inferior failed drug test player like Ortiz.  The hypocrisy is disgusting.

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2022, 09:21:29 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

False.
I mean what is false there, Ortiz admitted he failed a test but then blamed supplements and vitamins.  Pretty classic excuse for failed test takers.  Then of course there is the less direct stuff like the DEA investigation into a Dominican drug lord connected to Ortiz, the failed assisnation attempt by a different Dominican drug lord, and a whole host of other seedy stuff. 

I have no issue with Ortiz in the HOF, but onky after far superior players like Bonds, Clemens, Sosa, McGuire, etc.  The hypocrisy of putting him in and not those others just taints the Hall.  It is just nonsense and every single person that failed to vote for Bonds and Clemens should have their vote revoked, especially if they voted for an inferior failed drug test player like Ortiz.  The hypocrisy is disgusting.

Wasn't the gist of the Ortiz issue was that he supposedly failed a test, but was never told why he failed it or if he failed it at all?

Edit:

Here's the MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred on the issue:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2016/10/02/rob-manfred-david-ortiz-drug-test-hall-of-fame/91442256/

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2022, 09:41:53 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

False.

Wasn't the gist of the Ortiz issue was that he supposedly failed a test, but was never told why he failed it or if he failed it at all?

Edit:

Here's the MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred on the issue:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2016/10/02/rob-manfred-david-ortiz-drug-test-hall-of-fame/91442256/

Aside from that, how was the play mrs. Lincoln?