Author Topic: Celtic's Memories  (Read 3137 times)

Celtic's Memories
« on: January 18, 2022, 07:17:06 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
I went to my first game with my step dad, 71-72? I was 7 or 8.
He has dementia now, but still talks about Red going to his high school practice.

First gift, from my now wife, was Celtic's tickets. I joked I was going to bring my friend.

We gave my step dad some tickets for a gift. He had a heart attack and couldn't go. We went, and it was Johnny Most's first game back after one of his heart attacks. Somehow they paused on us in the crowd (still have it on VCR)

What are your first/lasting memories of the C's

Re: Celtic's Memories
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 07:48:28 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Being at the  finals  double ot game vs Milwaukee in 1974
Being at the finals triple ot game vs Phoenix in 1976
Season ticket holder all during Bird's career

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 07:48:42 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
It was approximately 1976-78, a weekend game. Tommy was the Celtic head coach and the Celtics were playing the Washington Bullets. (Formally Baltimore Bullets) The Bullets had a point guard, his name was Kevin Porter. He was around six feet tall, perhaps 160 or so.

Tommy got into an argument with a ref about a call he doesn't agree with. And it's beginning to really escalate as Tommy is beginning to lose it, he's really getting hot, (Tommy style.) He's jawing at the ref, when Kevin Porter decides to confront Tommy and give him a piece of his mind.

Tommy turns... his face is a mask of anger and frustration, his temper is totally lost... and just he grabs Porter around the throat and begins shaking his head like he was a rag doll. Porters head is rolling around on his neck, with Tommy's hands around his throat. Celtics players and assistant coaches break up the incident.

It struck me so funny, in his coaching days, Tommy was 6-7 260 a real brute. When he was upset during a game he was scary.

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 08:06:32 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
In Reggie Lewis' first year he barely played but whenever he did get in a game in mostly garbage time he'd hoist up shots. Totally unafraid of the moment. The Garden crowd would just cheer and laugh. There were a couple of very Talented Vets in front of him. I think Ainge and Paxson. Reggie just acted like he should be there whenever he got in the game like he was a star already. He was a fantastic Basketball player.

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 08:18:15 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Great thread, love it.

First memory: I grew up in the NYC area and was a Knicks fans during their great seasons of 1969-1973.  I LOVED those Knick teams with Walt Frazier, Dave DeBusshere, Bill Bradley, Willis Reed, Earl "The Pearl" Monroe, etc., but they could be a bit of a plodding half-court team at times.  I saw them play the Celtics with Dave Cowens, John Havlicek, JoJo White, etc. and was amazed by their up-tempo style. By the way, in 1976 I moved to Boston for college and became a Celtics fan (also switched my allegiance from the Mets to the Red Sox).

Lasting memories:  So many, but the 'earliest-lasting' memory was probably the 1986 championship season.  They lost only one home game the entire season.  I would go visit my old college buddies on Sunday afternoons to watch 'the game' (especially during the playoffs) and the Celtics ALWAYS won.  Then we would go down to the school yard and try to emulate them, lol.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 08:26:47 PM by Surferdad »

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 09:17:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I became sports aware at age 10. 1975 Red Sox trip to world series....1975 Bruins, Orr's last great season. 1976 Patriots and the Sugar Bear Hamilton roughing the passer penalty and lastly the 1976 Celtics. That 76 playoffs and especially watching Game 5 C's v Suns on a small black and white TV is my clearest memory of that year. Dad let me stay up way past my bedtime to watch to the end. Maybe the greatest basketball game I ever watched, even now, 46 years later

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2022, 11:40:31 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772
I took this from a 2018 post I made on this site.  This game is still my best Celtic's memory:

"I live in the DC area and have seen all the Cs games for the past 30+ years.  The best game I ever saw was Nov. 7, 1987, double overtime win by the Cs.  Bird scored 47 points, Ainge scored 28 points with 12 assists, and DJ had 17 assists.  Bird tied the game in regulation with a 3-pointer with 4 seconds to go.  He then hit 2 free throws with 4 seconds to go in the first overtime.  Finally, Bird hit the winning shot in the second overtime as time expired...140-139.  Unbelievable to watch that game in person."     
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 08:37:11 AM by Silas »
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2022, 09:04:57 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Junior year in college.  Was at BC and living off campus in Brighton.  My college buddy & I went in on two playoff strips (remember those?) for the '01-02 playoffs.  We didn't anticipate what a ride that would be.  Then my college buddy breaks his leg right before the Eastern Conference Finals against the Nets.  So I brought my dad to Game 3.  One of the most incredible sporting events I've been to and still the loudest I've ever heard the Fleet Center/TD Garden. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2022, 10:23:22 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I took this from a 2018 post I made on this site.  This game is still my best Celtic's memory:

"I live in the DC area and have seen all the Cs games for the past 30+ years.  The best game I ever saw was Nov. 7, 1987, double overtime win by the Cs.  Bird scored 47 points, Ainge scored 28 points with 12 assists, and DJ had 17 assists.  Bird tied the game in regulation with a 3-pointer with 4 seconds to go.  He then hit 2 free throws with 4 seconds to go in the first overtime.  Finally, Bird hit the winning shot in the second overtime as time expired...140-139.  Unbelievable to watch that game in person."   

I remember that one.  I believe Bird hit another game winner either the game before or the one right after that.   He was godlike in his prime!
Yup

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2022, 10:46:08 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Most memorable Celtic games I attended in person:

1966-67 game vs Baltimore Bullets. Bill Russell's first year as player coach. I was seated about a dozen seats from Auerbach, who watched game from the stands. Bill Russell did not play that day, much to my disappointment (early load management, LOL).  Bullets led by Gus Johnson and a rookie named Jack Marin, who went on to have a pretty good career.  I don't remember who won!

1973 playoff games, 1 and 3, vs Knicks. We won game 1, and lost game 3, after Johnny Havlicek got nailed in the shoulder by a Dave Debusschere pick.  Havlicek stayed in game and shot his free throws with his left arm, IIRC.    We lost that game, and ended losing the next game on NY by some of the worst calls (thanks, Mindy Rudolph) in NBA history.  Celtics were clearly the better team that year, but losing Hondo was too tough a hurdle to overcome.

1981 game 1 NBA finals vs Rockets, the game where Bird hit that incredible shot from behind the back board to win it. I was in the stands behind that basket, and could not appreciate the greatness of that shot live due to my angle. But was awesome being there.  Frankly the most incredible moment of that game, for me, was right before the start of the game, where Bill Russell, Bob Cousy and, I think, Hondo, walked out onto the court to greet each other.  The fans went absolutely crazy!!

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2022, 02:00:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Speaking of 1981, I vividly remember watching that entire Philly series where they came back from a 3-1 deficit. Every game was close but for one. Games 5, 6 and 7 we're slugfests...each decided by a bucket in the last seconds of the game. Bird, McHale, Parish, Tiny, Cornbread, Chris Ford vs Dr J, Darryl Dawkins, Mo Cheeks, Andrew Toney, the Jones boys. Man those Celtic-Sixer playoff games in the 80's were special.

I lived in Everett, which is about as close to the Garden as you can get without living in Boston proper, and when the C's beat Houston for the title, it sounded like every car in the city started honking their horns, screaming out the car windows. Kids in the park next to where I was watching the game went wild. Bird and those Celtics cemented themselves as the most popular team in Boston sports for the first time ever during those two series.

I skipped school and went to the celebration on City Hall Plaza along with every other high school male anywhere close to the city. It was truly awesome.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 02:30:43 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2022, 02:13:51 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Speaking of 1981, I vividly remember watching that entire Philly series where they came back from a 3-1 deficit. Every game was close but for one. Games 5, 6 and 7 we're slugfests...each decided by a bucket in the last seconds of the game. Bird, McHale, Parish, Tiny, Cornbread, Chris Ford vs Dr J, Darryl Dawkins, Mo Cheeks, Andrew Toney. Man those Celtic-Sixer playoff games in the 80's were special.

I lived in Everett, which is about as close to the Garden as you can get without living in Boston proper, and when the C's beat Houston for the title, it sounded like every car in the city started honking their horns, screaming out the car windows. Kids in the park next to where I was watching the game went wild. Bird and those Celtics cemented themselves as the most popular team in Boston sports for the first time ever during those two series.

I skipped school and went to the celebration on City Hall Plaza along with every other high school male anywhere close to the city. It was truly awesome.

I was at the Plaza celebration too, Nick. Took a break from my job at ECA in Cambridge to enjoy. 

Wasn't that you standing next to me, LOL??

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2022, 02:29:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Speaking of 1981, I vividly remember watching that entire Philly series where they came back from a 3-1 deficit. Every game was close but for one. Games 5, 6 and 7 we're slugfests...each decided by a bucket in the last seconds of the game. Bird, McHale, Parish, Tiny, Cornbread, Chris Ford vs Dr J, Darryl Dawkins, Mo Cheeks, Andrew Toney. Man those Celtic-Sixer playoff games in the 80's were special.

I was at the Plaza celebration too, Nick. Took a break from my job at ECA in Cambridge to enjoy. 

Wasn't that you standing next to me, LOL??
Lol...I think I was standing next to everyone that day, at one point or another. Me and my buddies walked up from North Station(back when the Green line was above ground, remember that) and had to bully threw thousands just to get a decent central location along the Cambridge street sidewalk on the plaza side. Could not get any closer. Ended up walking home through Charlestown because the T was such a mess. Good times.

TP4U

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2022, 02:34:36 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Speaking of 1981, I vividly remember watching that entire Philly series where they came back from a 3-1 deficit. Every game was close but for one. Games 5, 6 and 7 we're slugfests...each decided by a bucket in the last seconds of the game. Bird, McHale, Parish, Tiny, Cornbread, Chris Ford vs Dr J, Darryl Dawkins, Mo Cheeks, Andrew Toney, the Jones boys. Man those Celtic-Sixer playoff games in the 80's were special.

I loved those sixers series.
In 82 when we blew them out in Game 1. Remember Charles Bradley, the dunk machine? He got in late in game 1 and had a monster dunk.
Not the best outcome as Toney roeched us in game 7.

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2022, 02:42:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I loved those sixers series.
In 82 when we blew them out in Game 1. Remember Charles Bradley, the dunk machine? He got in late in game 1 and had a monster dunk.
Not the best outcome as Toney roeched us in game 7.
Wow, Charles Bradley. There's a name I haven't heard in years. He was like Bill Fitch's version of the Auerbach cigar. Put him in late in games and feed him on fast breaks for amazing dunks because he could literally do nothing else good, or even average. 

TP4U