Author Topic: Reboots / Revivals Of TV Shows  (Read 5977 times)

Reboots / Revivals Of TV Shows
« on: December 19, 2021, 09:56:45 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm digging Dexter New Blood.  Eight years after the original series concluded it, they rebooted it.  I'm not sure if it stands on its own as a series, but as a fan of the original I enjoy tuning in.

It got me to thinking, have there been other TV shows like this, where at least five years have passed between a finale and a new beginning?  Where the main character stayed the same?

Twin Peaks is one example.  Others?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Reboots / Revivals Of TV Shows
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021, 08:35:15 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I mean, there have been a bunch of examples. Just to list ones I've watched and enjoyed:

Fuller House
Will and Grace
The Conners
Murphy Brown
Saved By the Bell
Punky Brewster

Also, plan to watch Dexter, Frasier, iCarly, and probably even Mad About You. Will see X-Files at some point, too. I don't even really watch much tv outside of Boston sports, but nostalgia is a strong draw for me. I expect even more shows to follow suit at some point. I mean, imagine a Seinfeld or Friends reboot - they would draw record numbers.

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2021, 08:40:30 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I mean, there have been a bunch of examples. Just to list ones I've watched and enjoyed:

Fuller House
Will and Grace
The Conners
Murphy Brown
Saved By the Bell
Punky Brewster

Also, plan to watch Dexter, Frasier, iCarly, and probably even Mad About You. Will see X-Files at some point, too. I don't even really watch much tv outside of Boston sports, but nostalgia is a strong draw for me. I expect even more shows to follow suit at some point. I mean, imagine a Seinfeld or Friends reboot - they would draw record numbers.

I liked the Mad About You revival.  I didn’t care for The Conners; I thought the acting was stilted.  I’ve seen some of the Fuller House and Saved By the Bell stuff, and haven’t cared for it.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2021, 08:59:12 AM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
Peter Graves starred in a remake of Mission: Impossible back in the late eighties or early nineties.  Other than the music I was not familiar with the original show at all.  I was a kid when it was on but I remember liking it.  Not sure how well it has aged.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 09:06:41 AM by RMO »

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2021, 09:36:04 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Fuller House
Will and Grace
The Conners
Murphy Brown
Saved By the Bell
Punky Brewster

I liked the Mad About You revival.  I didn’t care for The Conners; I thought the acting was stilted.  I’ve seen some of the Fuller House and Saved By the Bell stuff, and haven’t cared for it.

Oh, I am not going to claim that they are all objectively great shows, just that they did what they needed in order to make me happy. I'll say that the Will and Grace reboot was the most seamless. The show hadn't been on for 12-13 years and it seemed like they didn't even miss a season. The other shows obviously had more time go by and therefore had to create a newer storyline.

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2021, 09:40:26 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Fuller House
Will and Grace
The Conners
Murphy Brown
Saved By the Bell
Punky Brewster

Oh, I am not going to claim that they are all objectively great shows, just that they did what they needed in order to make me happy. I'll say that the Will and Grace reboot was the most seamless. The show hadn't been on for 12-13 years and it seemed like they didn't even miss a season. The other shows obviously had more time go by and therefore had to create a newer storyline.

I think I saw the first one or two updated Will and Graces, and they seemed very political.  I don’t recall the original show being quite so overt, although the concept itself probably pushed some buttons at the time.  But I’m hardly an expert.

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2021, 09:41:35 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Another reboot:  He-Man.  The first half-season had some cool moments.  The second half was redundant and largely uninspired.

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2021, 09:44:25 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Roseanne did it big time for a year or so before Roseanne Barr got herself into trouble with her bosses.

Oops, I guess I missed The Connors mention. Nevermind.

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2021, 11:23:22 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I enjoyed 24 when it came back.

I forgot to mention on the topic of revival. The Expanse is supposed to have a planned break after season six. Didn't hear how long the amount but the creators wanted to do the six seasons then take a break as the original source story has a big time gap and they don't want to burn out themselves or the actors. It could be memorable if they pull it off.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 11:30:35 AM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2021, 11:26:44 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
The Deadwood movie…. That was a mixed bag.  A movie was nice, but they never should have cancelled season 4.

I suspect Ray Donovan will be the same, without a decade long wait.

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2021, 11:30:31 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
The Deadwood movie…. That was a mixed bag.  A movie was nice, but they never should have cancelled season 4.

The Deadwood movie was pretty bad.  It was nice to see some of the characters again, but the story line was not much of anything. 

That show was pretty fantastic in its prime though.  Definitely felt cheated by the abrupt cancellation.
Yup

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2021, 11:52:05 AM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Cobra Kai I thought was an incredibly creative way of bringing back a show with all the nostalgia elements without recreating the original. The different POV was interesting, the story plot good and entertaining enough. Not sure about the upcoming seasons but I thought the first two seasons was good. Also, a good way of making a teen show that an adult can watch.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2021, 12:02:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
A huge reboot that is coming that most here probably wouldn't watch is Sex in the City.

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2021, 12:04:46 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
A huge reboot that is coming that most here probably wouldn't watch is Sex in the City.

My wife’s reaction:  it’s terrible and overly political, but she’s watching it anyway.

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2021, 01:42:43 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I think CSI came back with some of the original cast, though Grissom only for 1 season from what I hear.

What I want is a Dark Angel return.