Author Topic: Marvel topic (MCU, series, comics)  (Read 14315 times)

Re: Marvel topic (MCU, series, comics)
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2021, 05:32:01 PM »

Kiorrik

I'm an MCU nerd, but I probably can't participate much in this thread—because of spoilers (I'm always behind on my viewing) and because I tend to view all MCU movies as good (some better than others, of course, but I like to live in my happy bubble and avoid criticism of any of the movies ;D).

Yeah, I try not to read too much when people discuss details :D

Hmmm ... maybe we should introduce a spoiler tag :D (do we have that functionality yet?)

For example; I read Nick's earlier post as "BEST SPIDER-MAN EVER, GO SEE IT" and didn't read anything in between hahahaha

Keen!

I'm halfway with you. There's not too many crappy movies. Maybe two that I wouldn't watch again. I think it's more the TV series that are a bit hard for me to re-watch. "What If" being the only exception I think.

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2021, 06:39:41 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I'm an MCU nerd, but I probably can't participate much in this thread—because of spoilers (I'm always behind on my viewing) and because I tend to view all MCU movies as good (some better than others, of course, but I like to live in my happy bubble and avoid criticism of any of the movies ;D).

Hmmm ... maybe we should introduce a spoiler tag :D (do we have that functionality yet?)

For example; I read Nick's earlier post as "BEST SPIDER-MAN EVER, GO SEE IT" and didn't read anything in between hahahaha

Keen!

I'm halfway with you. There's not too many crappy movies. Maybe two that I wouldn't watch again. I think it's more the TV series that are a bit hard for me to re-watch. "What If" being the only exception I think.

Ironic, because that's the only one I haven't watched! I saw the first episode, thought it was okay, but since the series presents "alternate MCU history," I feel like it has no bearing on the rest of the MCU. But maybe I'm wrong?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2021, 07:20:43 PM »

Kiorrik

Keen!

Ironic, because that's the only one I haven't watched! I saw the first episode, thought it was okay, but since the series presents "alternate MCU history," I feel like it has no bearing on the rest of the MCU. But maybe I'm wrong?

First episode is kinda like "hey look, this is what could happen if there was an alternate dimension". Kinda felt like baby's first multi-dimension story.

The rest all gets WAY more wild.

Really recommend watching episode 2. If you see ANY progress at all in that, you'll love the rest of 'm.

The one with Doctor Strange is insanely awesome.

As for no bearing on MCU; that's because it's about multiple dimensions :) technically, a lot of this happens in the MCU :)

Let us know if you do end up watching it. Very curious what you find if so :D

.edit: btw, I thought the first episode was super boring, and almost stopped watching too! also don't really dig the animation style, but even that gets better. or maybe i got used to it? whatever. both work.

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2021, 08:24:31 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Saw Spiderman at midnight on Wednesday, and I just thought it was okay. As a person who never had much connection with the previous non-Holland movies, much of the stuff with the three Spideys fell flat. Into the Spiderverse is still the superior movie imo.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2021, 08:51:15 AM »

Kiorrik

Wow. I loved the Spider-man movie. I'm a sucker for audience reactions and the audience went ACTUALLY insane during this one. Insane.

Loved it.

MUST see in cinema though.

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2021, 09:15:25 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Heard great reviews from a lot of friends about Spider-Man..I definitely have to watch it for his week ( thou I’m a DC guy)
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2021, 10:19:18 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Wow. I loved the Spider-man movie. I'm a sucker for audience reactions and the audience went ACTUALLY insane during this one. Insane.

Loved it.

All the callback jokes to previously created content was pretty hysterical.

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2021, 11:27:23 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Spider-man with the 3rd biggest opening weekend ever.  What pandemic?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2021, 12:17:11 AM »

Kiorrik

Loved it.

Jokes, but also some just well written moments.

Gonna see it again soon.

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2021, 07:51:39 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Loved it.

Jokes, but also some just well written moments.

Gonna see it again soon.
Going to see it again in IMAX. That should make it pop.

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2021, 08:18:07 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I really enjoyed Spider-man, but I read the (very few) negative reviews, and they’re probably fair.  The movie is pure fan service, and there’s really no arc.  Villains show up, don’t really do much, and then get defeated.  Even Green Goblin was pretty shallow.

It’s why everything should be a 10 hour epic on Netflix, haha.  But as a movie, it was very entertaining.  In the end, I happen to like fan service.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2021, 12:47:43 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Hawkeye was pretty much a perfect Marvel series.  It helps that they kept it to six episodes, so that there was no bloat.  Every episode was good.  Action, humor, good acting, chemistry …. and Kingpin.

(If anybody wants to call Kate a “Mary Sue”, fine…. But it’s a comic.  These are larger than life characters, and you’ve got to suspend some disbelief.)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 01:01:02 PM by Roy H. »

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2021, 01:40:06 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
most of the way through "Loki" right now. Great show, has some real Douglas Adams/Hitchhikers guide vibes to it. Reminds me of the endless potential for creativity in comics. Highly recommended.

"Watchmen" and "Doom Patrol" are great too. Definitely not kiddie shows either.

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2021, 01:59:31 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Hawkeye was pretty much a perfect Marvel series.  It helps that they kept it to six episodes, so that there was no bloat.  Every episode was good.  Action, humor, good acting, chemistry …. and Kingpin.

(If anybody wants to call Kate a “Mary Sue”, fine…. But it’s a comic.  These are larger than life characters, and you’ve got to suspend some disbelief.)

I wouldn't call Kate a "M-S". She is clearly not even close to the heros or villains level of skill. I loved that everyone owned her but gave her credit. Mostly she only annoyed the established characters or got lucky (especially at the end). Which is perfect balance of introducing a new hero.

I put Hawkeye at the top of MCU series.

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2021, 02:39:31 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I wouldn't call Kate a "M-S". She is clearly not even close to the heros or villains level of skill. I loved that everyone owned her but gave her credit. Mostly she only annoyed the established characters or got lucky (especially at the end). Which is perfect balance of introducing a new hero.

I put Hawkeye at the top of MCU series.

Well, she took out Kingpin with barely a scratch.  By episode 6 she was essentially a full blown superhero.