Author Topic: Marvel topic (MCU, series, comics)  (Read 14580 times)

Marvel topic (MCU, series, comics)
« on: December 08, 2021, 07:44:15 AM »

Kiorrik

Right.

Look, I'm a fan.

I was a bit of a comicbook fan, but never really got into collecting because I was afraid of finding another hobby that I couldn't afford :')

Anyway, I'm watching Hawkeye, and I'm just super stoked for so many things.

They're putting so many little hints in this. References. And in general the MCU is just so chock full of it ...

Figured it warranted its own topic.

Also wouldn't mind having reviews/chatter about Marvel stuff in one place because it all ties in together SO heavily.

I'm enjoying the Hawkeye series heaps, actually. Really love that it's the lame avenger. Like seeing him strapped with makeshift icepacks after a rough few days. It's cool.

Bit of vulnerability, bit of relatability, candid.

Keen to see if anyone else here is a bit of a nerd :')

Re: Marvel topic (MCU, series, comics)
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2021, 07:52:37 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I want more Kingpin, and I want him portrayed by Vincent D’Onofrio. 

Being completely truthful, I’m getting burnt out a bit by the Marvel movies.  I worry that they’re just slapping stuff together to make a quick buck, rather than making good movies.  The Eternals was the #1 example of that:  big names and wokeness over any coherent storyline.

I like the overall content of Phase 4 — the multiverse — but I worry about its execution.

But, back to the original point:  Kingpin, please. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2021, 08:00:17 AM »

Kiorrik

Agreed on the movies - Black Widow was drivel. Really didn't do it for me. Keen to see the new Spiderman though, that sounds amazing.

Dug Eternals because it was different. Finally some new characters I didn't know much about.

Was afraid because of Angelina they'd feature her too much, but she was hardly in it. Really enjoyed that flick. I didn't see "wokeness". Sure there was a gay couple and a deaf girl. If that's considered wokeness? Whatever man.

Agreed on Kingpin. Seems like we're getting that soon? He's been hinted at again! :D

I'd be SO happy if they manage to tie Spider-verse into the MCU somehow.

Like I'd seriously lose my marbles.

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2021, 09:44:47 AM »

Offline wikkid1

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3

Being completely truthful, I’m getting burnt out a bit by the Marvel movies.  I worry that they’re just slapping stuff together to make a quick buck, rather than making good movies.  The Eternals was the #1 example of that:  big names and wokeness over any coherent storyline.

I like the overall content of Phase 4 — the multiverse — but I worry about its execution.

Was stoked to see Feige talk about Charlie Cox coming back as Daredevil.  Really loved that series.  I think he’ll bring back D’Onofrio because it just makes too much sense not to.

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2021, 09:47:23 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
First two Hawkeye were solid.  Haven't watched more than that.  I've seen everything Marvel that didn't require a movie theater (so no Eternals yet and it pains me but won't see Spiderman for awhile either).  I liked Shang Chi way more than Black Widow.  I understand why they did Black Widow to set up elements in Phase 4, but it just seemed like a waste.  The first two Hawkeye have been paced really well and I like where it is going.  Hopefully they don't mess it up.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2021, 06:54:41 AM »

Kiorrik

Holy smokes.

Hawkeye has been amazing.

Anyone else you to episode 5?

I won't spoil it but I can not wait for the final episode next week.

This series feels way better than the others. Mostly because it's a smorgasbord of everything MCU.

Really awesome.

It was the reason I made this topic initially, too :')

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2021, 07:31:12 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I was surprised by Black Widow.  Went into it think, meh, I've seen everything else, why not.  I came out thinking it was rocketed to high on my list.

I've really enjoyed the TV series content, except for Loki.  Sorry Tom Hiddleston, that character does nothing for me.  WandaVision was really good, but I thought the Falcon and the Winter Soldier took too long to develop.  By the time they had me hooked, the season was over.

I agree though, hopefully it doesn't get waterlogged and just too much coming out.  Leave us wanting more!

I love Mandalorian and am looking for to the Boba Fett series, although, like the Emperor in Return of the Jedi, there's no way he would have survived.

I was hoping DC would have expanded on the Justice League but they haven't yet.  There's a lot they can do there!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2021, 07:40:04 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I enjoyed Loki.  It wasn’t epic, but it was decent.  I really liked WandaVision.  The one I didn’t enjoy was the Falcon and Winter Soldier.

I feel like Disney+ is like the Marvel Netflix series with better production values.  I liked those series overall, although some of the writing was weak and led to letdowns (Luke Cage was awesome, until it became mediocre), whereas other series cast poorly (Iron Fist needs legit martial arts skills!)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2021, 09:46:20 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Went to see Spider-Man: No Way Home last night. There were many fans dressed up in Spider-Man costumes, and the crowd was cheering throughout the movie. I had a blast and can't wait to see it again. Hoping to see it again at least one or two more times in the next two weeks.

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2021, 10:22:19 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Over 15 million in Thursday night previews, which outpaces the first two pre-pandemic.  This movie is going to set all sorts of records and probably lead to a huge uptick in covid.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2021, 01:29:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
BEST
SPIDERMAN
EVER

Not hyperbole.

New character introductions. Maybe not so new. One that happens to coincide with a Hawkeye character intro the day before this movie released.

Callbacks to previous films.

Cheeky humor and lots of intelligent callbacks.

Some well done dramatic scenes.

The right ending to make.

Two well done after credit scenes to set up future films, in very cool ways.

Movie goers were clapping and cheering, myself included, in many parts of the film

Go see it

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2021, 02:49:55 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

They’re doing it everywhere. I’m not a superhero movie guy although I love visual directors like Zack Snyder so I’ve enjoyed those a ton. Otherwise everything feels like the same story done over and over. I dint want to see 15 “how I became a superhero stories.”
   But I get that my opinion is what it is be dude I’m NOT a comic book guy. Was always too expensive a hobby for Jess much as I appreciated the artwork.
   But the wokeness. Ugh. Forget it. I just read the director of the flash referred to the flash and Keaton’s Batman as “ two idiots” beside a half powered alien Supergirl.”( who was intended to originally supplant Superman. “
  I just can’t give my money to that kind of thing.

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2021, 02:52:38 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  Too many directors now make movies and have these messages so awkwardly shoved in there like “ see I’m with you guys. Wink . Wink.
  It takes me right out of the movie. It’s a huge bummer when you sit down to be entertained and you’re being preached to so clumsily.

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2021, 03:01:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
  Too many directors now make movies and have these messages so awkwardly shoved in there like “ see I’m with you guys. Wink . Wink.
  It takes me right out of the movie. It’s a huge bummer when you sit down to be entertained and you’re being preached to so clumsily.
I would suggest shutting down your political part of your brain while watching movies and just suspend your beliefs and enjoy the entertainment

Certain amounts of the populace are women, black, asian, Latin, blind, deaf, gay, etc. You have to accept that these types of people and their storylines are going to exist in movies. If their existence and their backstories, some of which may slant in a political direction you don't prefer, are going to bother you so much that you can't enjoy movies, I would recommend not watching movies.

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2021, 03:10:58 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I'm an MCU nerd, but I probably can't participate much in this thread—because of spoilers (I'm always behind on my viewing) and because I tend to view all MCU movies as good (some better than others, of course, but I like to live in my happy bubble and avoid criticism of any of the movies ;D).
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis