Author Topic: Live: Tyson Fury vs. Deontay Wilder III  (Read 12161 times)

Re: Live: Tyson Fury vs. Deontay Wilder III
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2021, 02:53:30 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
I don’t think Fury could survive prime Mike Tyson. Even with the height and reach advantage, feel like Mike would still get inside a few times and That’s all it would take. body shots would be devastating.

People said the same thing about Buster Douglas, and we all know what happened there.  Fury is significantly bigger and stronger than Douglas.  If he could withstand Mike's opening, I think he could win.   Mike Tyson knew how to come out swinging and got in may guys head.   This attitude with his brick breaking punches over came many an opponent.   If you could last past this then he was mortal, but not many could.

People love to see a fast guy beat a big guy but all it takes is one good shot from the big guy and it's game over.   Size is not the end all but it certainly helps in a fight.

Ali won a lot of fights against big strong guys but the end the punishment he took was the end of him
I picked Douglas as an upset over Tyson but in fairness Douglas was down for the ten count. If ref hadn't stopped counting it would have been over. They are supposed to keep count not stop.

Buster Douglas was past Tysons prime. Mike's prime was over very quickly.  He was in horrible shape in the Buster fight.

This is from one of the biggest Iron Mike fans around.  Prime Tyson 18 to 22 years old give or take could beat anyone. He still could be beat, but I'm betting on young Mike before Cus died.

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2021, 03:57:34 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
True or false:  Fury seems to get knocked down a lot for an all-time great

I’d love perspective here.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2021, 04:33:44 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34

True.  Could this be due to his height?  I know that sounds silly, but being so high up, and also being top heavy.

Also, let's remember Wilder does have all time knockout / knockdown power.

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2021, 05:01:01 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I think it has to do with his body composition. He's enormous, but he's also incredibly top-heavy. For someone who weighs in at 280lbs he has pretty skinny chicken legs. I don't think he's especially prone to getting knocked down in terms of most all-time greats, but in terms of modern heavyweight greats he is. I think that's more due to talent diffusion instead of fighters being tougher today.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2021, 05:01:43 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

True.  Could this be due to his height?  I know that sounds silly, but being so high up, and also being top heavy.

Good point. Wilder at his heaviest is a monstrous power puncher. Tyson has only ever been knocked down by the heaviest puncher of the 21st century.

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2021, 05:04:52 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Good point. Wilder at his heaviest is a monstrous power puncher. Tyson has only ever been knocked down by the heaviest puncher of the 21st century.

He’s been knocked down at least a couple of other times, by some tomato cans.  One was his first American fight. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2021, 05:31:06 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

He’s been knocked down at least a couple of other times, by some tomato cans.  One was his first American fight.
Sorry, more meant knocked down with a threat of actually being counted out. I think he's just wobbly on his legs. He uses his feet a lot for a heavyweight, and I think the constant movement leaves him open to being knocked down given the power heavyweights have. I also think he backs himself to always get up.

Chin isn't really, for my mind, one of the more important things when considering all-time greatness. Guys like Chuvalo and McCall had fantastic chins but are not all that significant in all-time fight ranks. Heart trumps chin for me, and Fury has a boatload of heart. I'm still not sure how he got up from that Fury knockdown in the first fight.

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2021, 05:49:05 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
I don’t think Fury could survive prime Mike Tyson. Even with the height and reach advantage, feel like Mike would still get inside a few times and That’s all it would take. body shots would be devastating.

People said the same thing about Buster Douglas, and we all know what happened there.  Fury is significantly bigger and stronger than Douglas.  If he could withstand Mike's opening, I think he could win.   Mike Tyson knew how to come out swinging and got in may guys head.   This attitude with his brick breaking punches over came many an opponent.   If you could last past this then he was mortal, but not many could.

People love to see a fast guy beat a big guy but all it takes is one good shot from the big guy and it's game over.   Size is not the end all but it certainly helps in a fight.

Ali won a lot of fights against big strong guys but the end the punishment he took was the end of him

Fury might be taller and heavier, but he’s also in much worse physical shape that Buster was. I’m not sure He’s stronger than Douglas was, either. Couple of gut punches by Mike to that flabby stomach. :-X

Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2021, 05:54:40 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Fury might be taller and heavier, but he’s also in much worse physical shape that Buster was. I’m not sure He’s stronger than Douglas was, either. Couple of gut punches by Mike to that flabby stomach. :-X

He might be in worse shape, but his fitness is no worse. He's also a much better "boxer" than Buster ever was. Wilder's body jabs were big punches, yet they didn't bother Fury at all and he adjusted. Tyson is nearly a foot shorter than Fury. He also struggled with taller fighters who had a good jab game and could move. Further, his stamina was quite questionable (especially in his later career).

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2021, 08:34:29 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

Then you'd be surprised how many times Wladimir Klitchko got KO'd. Floyd Patterson got a hell of a butt whipping too in his trilogy with Ingemar Johansson.

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2023, 07:44:05 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Didn’t want to start a new thread, so putting this here.

So Fury took on former UFC heavyweight champion Francis Ngannou earlier today.  It was Ngannou's first boxing match ever.  It was a non-title 10 round fight. Ngannou knocked Fury down in the 2nd, and was controlling the fight early, but ultimately ran out of gas and lost a split decision 94-95, 95-94, 96-93.  Absolutley amazing display from Ngannou. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2023, 07:48:42 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Didn’t want to start a new thread, so putting this here.

So Fury took on former UFC heavyweight champion Francis Ngannou earlier today.  It was Ngannou's first boxing match ever.  It was a non-title 10 round fight. Ngannou knocked Fury down in the 2nd, and was controlling the fight early, but ultimately ran out of gas and lost a split decision 94-95, 95-94, 96-93.  Absolutley amazing display from Ngannou.

First half of the fight was entertaining. Kinda felt like a WWE boxing match in the later rounds. Fury pretty much stopped throwing punches. Hope we get to see Fury/Usyk and Jones/Ngannou next year. Those are the fights everyone wants to see.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2023, 06:30:45 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Boxing still exists????
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin