Author Topic: Sox 2021 Playoffs  (Read 40888 times)

Re: Sox 2021 Playoffs
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2021, 12:43:07 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
What do people predict for Tampa series. I’m going to randomly say Sox 3-1. I expect one real good game out of sale. Also has anyone noticed that verdugo quietly had almost as good an offensive year as betts?

Yep. Still a little bit of room to grow too... opposite field hitting especially. 32 doubles is not too shabby..

In AAA, Connor Wong had a pretty disappointing year (although he did hit 8 homers in 50 games)... Jeter Downs has shown some very nice pop, just needs to slow his game down.

Mookie will be getting 32 million dollars in 2032... when he is 41 years old.

That trade is starting to hurt less...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2021, 09:29:57 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
What do people predict for Tampa series. I’m going to randomly say Sox 3-1. I expect one real good game out of sale. Also has anyone noticed that verdugo quietly had almost as good an offensive year as betts?

Yep. Still a little bit of room to grow too... opposite field hitting especially. 32 doubles is not too shabby..

In AAA, Connor Wong had a pretty disappointing year (although he did hit 8 homers in 50 games)... Jeter Downs has shown some very nice pop, just needs to slow his game down.

Speaking of Betts, in his two seasons with the Dodgers, he doesn't even have 100 RBI's in total in the regular season. How is that possible for an everyday player, especially in that lineup?

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2021, 09:38:57 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

I'm thinking 3-1 or 3-2 Rays.  I think they're just better, and it's been really impressive to see how they've rallied without Glasnow. 

But, I'm obviously hoping I'm wrong.

Anybody still sore that we traded for Schwarber instead of Rizzo?

I was certainly wrong on that one Roy. Rizzo was way worse offensively for yanks than I would have guessed. On the flip side the defensive difference between the two is huge and we have pretty poor defense if we play both jd and schwarber.

There was so much negative chatter about the Sox after the trade deadline, it was ridiculous.  I guess that is just what is both good and bad about the Boston fanbase and media.  Schwarber is going to turn out to be a savy pick up.  Robles has been good also.  That is how this team is going to be moving forward, at least for now.  No more "all in" type moves.  That is why they got Chaim Bloom and I believe that is how John Henry wants it.

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2021, 10:50:03 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Speaking of Betts, in his two seasons with the Dodgers, he doesn't even have 100 RBI's in total in the regular season. How is that possible for an everyday player, especially in that lineup?
Well last year was a 60 game season where he played 55 games and had 16 HR and 38 RBI. If you do the calculations that comes out to 43HR and 103 RBIs in 149 games.

This year he was hurt and missed a quarter of the season. Extrapolate that out to 162 game and Betts would have had about 30 HRs and 80 RBI, which is right on par with his final 2 years in Boston.

Last season Betts did come in 2nd in the NL MVP voting.

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2021, 11:36:16 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Well last year was a 60 game season where he played 55 games and had 16 HR and 38 RBI. If you do the calculations that comes out to 43HR and 103 RBIs in 149 games.

This year he was hurt and missed a quarter of the season. Extrapolate that out to 162 game and Betts would have had about 30 HRs and 80 RBI, which is right on par with his final 2 years in Boston.

Plus, NL leadoff men will never pick up a ton of RBIs.  The pitcher’s slot limits opportunities, and even with a DH you’re still driving in the bottom of the order.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2021, 12:14:52 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Plus, NL leadoff men will never pick up a ton of RBIs.  The pitcher’s slot limits opportunities, and even with a DH you’re still driving in the bottom of the order.

Also Betts WAR on the season is 4.2 still excellent, and Verdugo only 2.2 even though I’m happy with him.

Saying that, the returns on this deal will start to show itself more in the near future seasons as Betts ages and Verdugo possibly closes the gap, and having the returns cost controlled or flipped for something else.

Still miss Betts though.

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2021, 12:48:18 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

Also Betts WAR on the season is 4.2 still excellent, and Verdugo only 2.2 even though I’m happy with him.

Saying that, the returns on this deal will start to show itself more in the near future seasons as Betts ages and Verdugo possibly closes the gap, and having the returns cost controlled or flipped for something else.

Still miss Betts though.

I don't think you are going to see the Sox doing any more of the mega deals like it would have taken to keep Mookie, at least not anytime soon.  It is pretty clear that the hit rate on getting your money's worth on those types of deals is pretty low (Bryce Harper and so on).  Trading Mookie was hard but it was the right thing to do and will likely only look better over time.  We will see how the new strategy works out but so far so good from what I can see.

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2021, 01:53:35 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Thanks for that Roy. Does WAR include defense? Is that where the big difference is coming in between the two. At first glance there offensive weapons look really similar, but I know very little of advanced statistics for baseball.

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2021, 02:35:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Still miss Betts though.

I don't think you are going to see the Sox doing any more of the mega deals like it would have taken to keep Mookie, at least not anytime soon.  It is pretty clear that the hit rate on getting your money's worth on those types of deals is pretty low (Bryce Harper and so on).  Trading Mookie was hard but it was the right thing to do and will likely only look better over time.  We will see how the new strategy works out but so far so good from what I can see.
I can see them offering Devers an 8 year mega deal. Kid is only 24 and probably destined for a decade of 35-40 HRs and over 110 RBIs per season.

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2021, 07:24:21 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362

I'm thinking 3-1 or 3-2 Rays.  I think they're just better, and it's been really impressive to see how they've rallied without Glasnow. 

But, I'm obviously hoping I'm wrong.

Anybody still sore that we traded for Schwarber instead of Rizzo?

I was certainly wrong on that one Roy. Rizzo was way worse offensively for yanks than I would have guessed. On the flip side the defensive difference between the two is huge and we have pretty poor defense if we play both jd and schwarber.

There was so much negative chatter about the Sox after the trade deadline, it was ridiculous.  I guess that is just what is both good and bad about the Boston fanbase and media.  Schwarber is going to turn out to be a savy pick up.  Robles has been good also.  That is how this team is going to be moving forward, at least for now.  No more "all in" type moves.  That is why they got Chaim Bloom and I believe that is how John Henry wants it.

The only bad thing about Schwarber is it forces us to play JD in the outfield. But his bat has definitely been an asset.

People also forget we had a Covid outbreak that took so many players out after the deadline. I'm praying they're all sequestering themselves now for the balance of the playoffs. Sacrifice!
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2021, 09:11:15 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Nice job, E-Rod... 👌

Still can’t believe the Sox didn’t bring in a starting pitcher before the trade deadline. It seemed pretty clear that many of the starters were pitching above their ability level. It was never going to be sustainable.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2021, 10:41:11 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Nice job, E-Rod... 👌

Still can’t believe the Sox didn’t bring in a starting pitcher before the trade deadline. It seemed pretty clear that many of the starters were pitching above their ability level. It was never going to be sustainable.

He was bad tonight, but given that Boston's offense is wretched, it doesn't matter.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2021, 10:53:30 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Nice job, E-Rod... 👌

He was bad tonight, but given that Boston's offense is wretched, it doesn't matter.

Exactly. With zero runs on the board, they could have had prime Pedro Martinez on the mound tonight and would still lose.

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2021, 11:23:18 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Offense was bad tonight, but they finished the season with the 5th most runs scored in the whole league. The starting pitchers outside of Evoldi and Sale are just not very good.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2021, 11:26:01 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Offense was bad tonight, but they finished the season with the 5th most runs scored in the whole league. The starting pitchers outside of Evoldi and Sale are just not very good.

The trouble with their offense (as I see it) is that they don't consistently score, say, 4 or 5 runs a game; instead, they score 8 one game and then 0 or 1 the next.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis