Author Topic: Simone Biles  (Read 44256 times)

Simone Biles
« on: July 27, 2021, 10:24:04 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Following Simone Biles' shocking withdrawal from the team gymnastics competition at the Tokyo Olympics on Tuesday, many have applauded her for focusing on her mental health. But conservative talk radio hosts Clay Travis and Buck Sexton had little compassion for the star athlete, indicating on their Tuesday show that Biles' decision was selfish.

“We all have emotional and psychological struggles,” Sexton said. “That’s just a constant of being a human being. But what about your teammates?”

Travis wondered how fans would react if Tom Brady or LeBron James did something similar by pulling out of a major game because they couldn't handle the stress.

I’m sure we have all seen this by now. The most talented gymnast in the world, and perhaps the most talented of all time, quit during the Finals of the gymnastics team competition.

I’ve got to say, I think this massively diminishes her legacy. Part of being an athlete is being able to handle the mental crucible. Choking on the big stage, where in this case quitting, has to be evaluated when judging an athlete.  It’s like Ben Simmons. Nobody cares if he can drill 100 three pointers in practice, if he is going to choke in actual games.

It doesn’t make her a bad person. It doesn’t take away from her amazing skills. But I do think it takes her out of the conversation regarding best gymnast of all-time.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 08:25:32 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Simon Biles
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 10:37:01 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
What Charlie Kirk said was disgusting:

https://mobile.twitter.com/jaytatum0/status/1420185879352471553

Tatum shut him down though. ;D

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 10:38:45 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
But all I seriousness there’s a lot of hate going on to American teams by Americans because of their politics. Like they’re celebrating any loss because they’re “woke”. I remember watching a YouTube video of a guy celebrating Popovich losing to France for nothing more than his “woke” views.

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 10:41:44 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
What Charlie Kirk said was disgusting:

https://mobile.twitter.com/jaytatum0/status/1420185879352471553

Tatum shut him down though. ;D

Yeah, she’s not a sociopath or a disgrace.  That’s just typical mindless radio talk.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 10:42:10 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Mental health is mental health. It’s important. If she wasn’t there mentally, it’s hard to compete or work at the highest level possible, especially in a sport where you need to be literally perfect performing. In her case, she’s pretty much won everything that can be won at that stage. Throw in covid and the situation in Tokyo and I think it just came down to a “this just isn’t it worth putting myself through this right now” moment. And to do it in the Olympics, I figure she had to be in a pretty dark place to just tap out.

That being said, from a legacy perspective, it will be hard to overlook the “what if” regarding this Olympics. Still think she’ll be remembered highly but fair or not, this will be a mark on her resume by people.

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 10:48:56 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Following Simone Biles' shocking withdrawal from the team gymnastics competition at the Tokyo Olympics on Tuesday, many have applauded her for focusing on her mental health. But conservative talk radio hosts Clay Travis and Buck Sexton had little compassion for the star athlete, indicating on their Tuesday show that Biles' decision was selfish.

“We all have emotional and psychological struggles,” Sexton said. “That’s just a constant of being a human being. But what about your teammates?”

Travis wondered how fans would react if Tom Brady or LeBron James did something similar by pulling out of a major game because they couldn't handle the stress.

I’m sure we have all seen this by now. The most talented gymnast in the world, and perhaps the most talented of all time, quit during the Finals of the gymnastics team competition.

I’ve got to say, I think this massively diminishes her legacy. Part of being an athlete is being able to handle the mental crucible. Choking on the big stage, where in this case quitting, has to be evaluated when judging an athlete.  It’s like Ben Simmons. Nobody cares if he can drill 100 three pointers in practice, if he is going to choke in actual games.

It doesn’t make her a bad person. It doesn’t take away from her amazing skills. But I do think it takes her out of the conversation regarding best gymnast of all-time.

I don't know, this Olympic Games aren't normal and perhaps (god willing) will be the only one of its kind.

Being black i'm sure she's dealt with her fair share of racism but I hate to think how much she'd receive on social media and without any friends or family around, it would be taxing.

I believe what she gave as the reason for dropping out was that she knew after her first attempt she wasn't right, so by stepping aside she was actually helping the team not hindering it...which makes sense.

I don't think Biles can be contrasted with Brady or LeBron because their sports are completely different beasts. If Brady throws one interception it's not the end of the world... in gymnastics one major error can cause them to go from 1st to 5th place.

In say all that, I can't really understand why elite athletes have social media, or at least interact with it. It's so toxic on your mental health, especially for a public figure. For what I can gather Tom Brady has a social media team to post things to keep up his endorsement obligations but don't use it himself.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 10:56:06 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 10:53:41 PM »

Offline ausbacker

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39

In a team sport environment, quitting on your teammates is an unforgivable sin.

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2021, 10:58:04 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

These are some pretty ignorant takes.  She did her team a favor by dropping out.  As for her legacy, it is pretty well cemented.  She is the all time record holder for most world championship medals and most golds (by a wide margin.). Who would you put ahead of her that was even still competing at age 24?  That’s like 45 in bball years.

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2021, 10:58:34 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I don't know, this Olympic Games isn't normal and perhaps will be the only one of its kind. Being black i'm sure she's dealt with her fair share of racism but I hate to think how much she'd receive on social media and without any friends or family around. I believe what she gave as the reason for dropping out was mentally she knew after her first attempt she wasn't right, so by stepping aside she was actually helping the team...which makes sense.

I don't think Biles can be compared to Brady or LeBron because their sports are completely different beasts, if Brady throws one interception it's not the end of the world...but in gymnastics especially for Team USA one major error can cause them to go from 1st to 4th or 5th.

Oh, I’m sure she legitimately has a ton on her mind. Wasn’t her brother just acquitted of murdering her cousin? I don’t think that she is feigning her mental stress at all.

But, part of being literally the best of the best is being able to block out emotions.  I think that and inability to do that, compounded by quitting on your team, diminishes her place in history.

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2021, 11:08:20 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum

I don't know, this Olympic Games isn't normal and perhaps will be the only one of its kind. Being black i'm sure she's dealt with her fair share of racism but I hate to think how much she'd receive on social media and without any friends or family around. I believe what she gave as the reason for dropping out was mentally she knew after her first attempt she wasn't right, so by stepping aside she was actually helping the team...which makes sense.

I don't think Biles can be compared to Brady or LeBron because their sports are completely different beasts, if Brady throws one interception it's not the end of the world...but in gymnastics especially for Team USA one major error can cause them to go from 1st to 4th or 5th.

Oh, I’m sure she legitimately has a ton on her mind. Wasn’t her brother just acquitted of murdering her cousin? I don’t think that she is feigning her mental stress at all.

But, part of being literally the best of the best is being able to block out emotions.  I think that and inability to do that, compounded by quitting on your team, diminishes her place in history.

Yeah you're probably right, I think in retrospect she would have just retired when the Olympics were rescheduled.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2021, 11:10:06 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
On one hand, I cannot fathom the weight of what she’s carrying. I have so much more respect for Phelps and being the face of not 1, not 2, but 3 Olympics in something as unpredictable as swimming with so many different disciplines.

I applaud her if she packs up and retires, she’s earned the right to walk away. But if she regroups by Thursday and goes on to dominate the individual, I feel like she absolutely quit on her team. I understand she had a bad (for her standards) qualifier and an awful first vault, but is that enough to stop trying? A major part of being an elite athlete is the mental fortitude that comes with competition and the spotlight. When the going got tough for her, she crumbled.

It may be an unfair comparison, but I couldn’t fathom a superstar pitcher in the World Series having a rough first inning and asking out. Or an MVP in the Finals missing their first six shots of game 7 and ask to be subbed.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2021, 11:35:16 PM »

Offline ausbacker

• Jrue Holiday

These are some pretty ignorant takes.  She did her team a favor by dropping out.  As for her legacy, it is pretty well cemented.  She is the all time record holder for most world championship medals and most golds (by a wide margin.). Who would you put ahead of her that was even still competing at age 24?  That’s like 45 in bball years.

Having spent my entire life in and around elite sport, your ignorant remark is in fact, ignorant. Simone Biles is an outstanding individual, arguably without peer but an athlete's mentality is nothing like Average Joe. Everything about an athlete is extreme, something Biles is noted for. Given her admission about being concerned about injury and it "not being worth it," that doesn't suddenly materialize in competition, they're demons she carried into the Olympics. I admire her want to compete but the decision to pull out (her stance on individual events is not yet known) could have come way before the Women’s Gymnastics final rather than during. I don't blame her for going into self preservation mode, if the mind isn't right the body won't follow (especially so when it concerns spatial awareness) but that doesn't change the fact she quit on her teammates. I accept her reasoning but this couldn't have come earlier?

I have the utmost respect for Biles, I am mindful of the issues she faces outside the gymnasium but even though they may not publicly speak it, her teammates will be left forever wondering if the gold escaped them because their star wasn't up for the challenge anymore.

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2021, 11:51:37 PM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 208

Having spent my entire life in and around elite sport, your ignorant remark is in fact, ignorant. Simone Biles is an outstanding individual, arguably without peer but an athlete's mentality is nothing like Average Joe. Everything about an athlete is extreme, something Biles is noted for. Given her admission about being concerned about injury and it "not being worth it," that doesn't suddenly materialize in competition, they're demons she carried into the Olympics. I admire her want to compete but the decision to pull out (her stance on individual events is not yet known) could have come way before the Women’s Gymnastics final rather than during. I don't blame her for going into self preservation mode, if the mind isn't right the body won't follow (especially so when it concerns spatial awareness) but that doesn't change the fact she quit on her teammates. I accept her reasoning but this couldn't have come earlier?

I have the utmost respect for Biles, I am mindful of the issues she faces outside the gymnasium but even though they may not publicly speak it, her teammates will be left forever wondering if the gold escaped them because their star wasn't up for the challenge anymore.
This will tarnish her a bit but she has done things other gymnasts have never done and was the GOAT before stepping foot in Tokyo.

Regarding your comments that she could have pulled out way before the Olympic games, I do not think it is fair for any of us to make judgement on that. We do not know what she may be dealing with or when she was dealing with it. Maybe it was the weight of all the talk of her having to carry the entire team and maybe it hit her when she arrived in Tokyo...none of us know. I will say that in hindsight I think she was struggling from the beginning and tried to push through it. People keep talking about her pulling out after her bad vault but she was uncharacteristically off a number of times during the prelims. She says she pulled out because she thought it would be best for the team and I take her for her word on that. After he pulling out she could have stayed hidden but she came out to cheer and support her team...I think that shows character. Also, if there is anyone that she "hurt" by pulling out it was her teammates and they all seem to be very understanding and supportive of the decision she made...I put a lot of stock in that.

Mental health is a very serious issue. Some may not understand this but I think it was very courageous of her to face her issues so publicly and I hope that this helps bring some awareness and understanding of mental health issues.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2021, 12:09:28 AM »

Offline ausbacker

• Jrue Holiday

This will tarnish her a bit but she has done things other gymnasts have never done and was the GOAT before stepping foot in Tokyo.

Regarding your comments that she could have pulled out way before the Olympic games, I do not think it is fair for any of us to make judgement on that. We do not know what she may be dealing with or when she was dealing with it. Maybe it was the weight of all the talk of her having to carry the entire team and maybe it hit her when she arrived in Tokyo...none of us know. I will say that in hindsight I think she was struggling from the beginning and tried to push through it. People keep talking about her pulling out after her bad vault but she was uncharacteristically off a number of times during the prelims. She says she pulled out because she thought it would be best for the team and I take her for her word on that. After he pulling out she could have stayed hidden but she came out to cheer and support her team...I think that shows character. Also, if there is anyone that she "hurt" by pulling out it was her teammates and they all seem to be very understanding and supportive of the decision she made...I put a lot of stock in that.

Mental health is a very serious issue. Some may not understand this but I think it was very courageous of her to face her issues so publicly and I hope that this helps bring some awareness and understanding of mental health issues.

You'll get no quarrel from me. Outside of physical preparation, for an athlete, maintaining strong mental health is (IMO) the single biggest factor to determining competition readiness. Being around athletes on top of their game and watching them bounce back after being hammered during training blocks is something truly special. Conversely, there's few things worse than watching them when the black dog attacks. Sadly, they become unrecognizable.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 12:26:37 AM by ausbacker »

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2021, 12:19:58 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
She’s already got 4 Olympic gold medals and 19 World Championship golds. This is more like Michael Jordan stepping away after the first 3-peat to honour his father and play baseball than it is to Ben Simmons not improving his game IMO. Stepping away at the top of the world because something else is weighing you down is a bit different to choking from my perspective.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)