Author Topic: Magic Johnson's statement on Lonzo Ball  (Read 3616 times)

Magic Johnson's statement on Lonzo Ball
« on: March 23, 2021, 02:22:43 PM »

Offline $Mike$

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
C'mon Danny...find a way to get Ball and Gordon. Magic Johnson just said the following: "There's no point guard in this league whose basketball IQ is higher than Lonzo Ball." While I think Chris Paul and a few others may have an issue with this comment, it does say a lot about how Magic views Lonzo Ball...Hoping Danny respects Magic's take on this.

Re: Magic Johnson's statement on Lonzo Ball
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 02:24:21 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Ball & Gordon would be a great fit on this team with Tatum & Brown
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 02:34:58 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I would be absolutely thrilled to get both Gordon and Ball.  We’d have more size, shooting, and ball movement.  Ball’s shooting has improved a lot.  He used to shoot right handed from the left side of his head.  After years of work, he’s moved it to the right side and the shooting percentages are there.  He’s a fantastic passer.  I doubt we have the assets to get both deals done though.

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 02:36:28 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
When did Magic make that statement; right after the Lakers drafted him?

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 02:37:44 PM »

Offline $Mike$

• Xavier Tillman
Ball 1, Brown 2, Tatum 3, Gordon 4, R. Williams 5

Back up:

Pritchard 1, *Get a good shooting veteran 2, *Nesmith 3, G. Williams or Semi 4 (trade one of these two), Theis 5

Both line ups allow for length on the court, easy switch on D in 1-4 positions, better rebounding and ball movement IMO

If possible to keep Smart or move Langford and Nesmith in and out of 2/3 spot, great, but if not trade whoever you need to other than Brown, Tatum, and R. Williams...and of course Taco ;-)

The Team will be young enough to part with a few years of late 1st round picks.

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 02:39:29 PM »

Offline $Mike$

• Xavier Tillman
When did Magic make that statement; right after the Lakers drafted him?

I believe today, on First Take with Steven A.

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 02:44:19 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I would be absolutely thrilled to get both Gordon and Ball.  We’d have more size, shooting, and ball movement.  Ball’s shooting has improved a lot.  He used to shoot right handed from the left side of his head.  After years of work, he’s moved it to the right side and the shooting percentages are there.  He’s a fantastic passer.  I doubt we have the assets to get both deals done though.

One of the things I am not clear on and have been meaning to ask on here about Lonzo is:

His shooting has improved but I have also read that he is playing more off the ball in order to allow Zion to be a playmaker. Is Lonzo shooting a high percentage on just spot up 3s? Or is he enough of a threat now to shoot 3s off the dribble? To be more of a threat in the PnR in order to open up his playmaking in the halfcourt? Or is Lonzo still only a transition passer and a secondary creator in the halfcourt?

Well that was a few questions but all asking pretty much the same thing.

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 02:54:41 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

One of the things I am not clear on and have been meaning to ask on here about Lonzo is:

His shooting has improved but I have also read that he is playing more off the ball in order to allow Zion to be a playmaker. Is Lonzo shooting a high percentage on just spot up 3s? Or is he enough of a threat now to shoot 3s off the dribble? To be more of a threat in the PnR in order to open up his playmaking in the halfcourt? Or is Lonzo still only a transition passer and a secondary creator in the halfcourt?

Great questions.  I don’t know the answers.  His shooting form sure looks a lot better and the total percentages reflect that.  But why are the Pelicans looking to trade him?

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 03:09:54 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

Great questions.  I don’t know the answers.  His shooting form sure looks a lot better and the total percentages reflect that.  But why are the Pelicans looking to trade him?

I know Lonzo won’t challenge the defense in halfcourt. I think it’s because he does f want to go to the free throw line. 6 ft 6 snd his skills he should get to the line somewhat. I just looked up the stat and he averages 1.1 free throw attempts per game. I think that’s a big mental issue. But he’s a tantalizing player.

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2021, 03:25:55 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
Ball & Gordon would be a great fit on this team with Tatum & Brown

I have come around to this thinking as well. After watching him play for a couple years, Ball seems to be the big, excellent distributor / penetrator floor general that would be a good fit with Tatum and Brown.  I am still a little on the fence about Gordon, but he seemingly has improved a lot in the last couple of years as well.

I would just like that massively big lineup of Ball (6'6"), Brown (6'6"), Tatum (6'8"), Gordon (6'9"), Timelord (6'9" but LONG).

Everyone is a good defender, everyone is quick, athletic, and relatively long and can jump.  I could live without Smart if this is what our lineup ended up at after some trades.

off the bench Theis, Nesmith, PP, some other vet shooter - scorer, Langford

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2021, 03:36:24 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'd like to have Lonzo on the Cs, but the time to get him was this past offseason. He would likely be pretty expensive to acquire and he seems primed for a big pay raise. The dude is trending right now - which is great for him.

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2021, 04:21:58 PM »

Offline $Mike$

• Xavier Tillman
I'd like to have Lonzo on the Cs, but the time to get him was this past offseason. He would likely be pretty expensive to acquire and he seems primed for a big pay raise. The dude is trending right now - which is great for him.

I believe his bird rights may come in play and allow the Celtics to go over cap.

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2021, 04:34:09 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Well, there are numerous point guards with higher IQs on offence than Lonzo Ball. Lonzo Ball is a mediocre passer in the half-court, as he's put on full display this year. Dunno why Magic loves to exaggerate like this.

I also think he's due a big pay day, given what we saw guys like Bogdanovic get.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2021, 04:44:34 PM »

Offline Boise To Boston

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
Amen to that.  Ball, Brown, Tatum, Gordon, and Timelord.  I'd faint!

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2021, 05:22:55 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
C'mon Danny...find a way to get Ball and Gordon. Magic Johnson just said the following: "There's no point guard in this league whose basketball IQ is higher than Lonzo Ball." While I think Chris Paul and a few others may have an issue with this comment, it does say a lot about how Magic views Lonzo Ball...Hoping Danny respects Magic's take on this.
may i ask what it is about Johnson's time as president of the lakers that convinced you he is an expert in player evaluation?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva