Author Topic: 2020-2021 EPL Season  (Read 25689 times)

Re: 2020-2021 EPL Season
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2020, 10:22:10 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
A fine drubbing of a relegation bus driver/part time PE teacher last night and Liverpool told United "You'll Never Walk Alone" :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2020, 09:15:55 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Crazy results yesterday for Liverpool and Man Utd. Absolute massacres.

Big signing for Man Utd to get Cavani. I do not like the fit though. Wrong player at the wrong moment for the club. That said, he is still a wonderful footballer who will be very successful (individually) for Man Utd.

Why do I think he is the wrong player at the wrong moment? Because I disagree with the idea that Man Utd needed a big time #9 up front.

(1) I still believe - and have always believed - that Martial's best position is as a #9 and not out wide. He just had the best season of his career, his confidence is high and he is coming into his own as a player. This is absolutely the wrong time to put a player as good as Cavani (he is too good!) in Martial's way and end up playing Martial out of position (as a left winger) again where his talents are not as well used.

(2) Man Utd had a great run at the end of last season based around the attacking exploits of their front three - Rashford, Martial and Greenwood. None of these players are typical #9s or typical wingers. Instead, they are are more versatile forwards who are best compared to the fluid front 3 that Man Utd had 10+ years ago with Tevez, C.Ronaldo and Rooney. That by playing them together and giving them freedom to move around and cause trouble for defenses with their versatile attacking (not just penalty box strikers but dribblers, passers and creators as well). Rashford, Martial and Greenwood have similar qualities and are best utilized by playing in a similar style of football instead of playing off of with a typical #9 who wants to stay within the penalty box areas where he does his best work. A player who wants to be fed chances from teammates rather than create chances.

In summary, Man Utd had a much more effective team based attack with versatile forwards than an out and out #9 + the development of their young attackers (in particular Martial but also Rashford and Greenwood) was best served by maintaining this style of play.

Signing Cavani is a backwards move that stalls development.

« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2020, 10:04:16 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Sounds much more impressive when you consider that Messi's Barcelona probably the best team of all times didn't manage to go to the final 2 times in a row

but yeah .... no big deal.... anyone could have done it ...
Those were different eras, Messi's Barcelona had some legendary competition (eg. 2010 Inter Milan). What teams did Real face during their run were on that level?

scrubs .... Dundalk , Qarabag, Bate Borisov and Astana .....

you are right. they were just lucky

« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2020, 10:18:22 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Crazy results yesterday for Liverpool and Man Utd. Absolute massacres.

Big signing for Man Utd to get Cavani. I do not like the fit though. Wrong player at the wrong moment for the club. That said, he is still a wonderful footballer who will be very successful (individually) for Man Utd.

Why do I think he is the wrong player at the wrong moment? Because I disagree with the idea that Man Utd needed a big time #9 up front.

(1) I still believe - and have always believed - that Martial's best position is as a #9 and not out wide. He just had the best season of his career, his confidence is high and he is coming into his own as a player. This is absolutely the wrong time to put a player as good as Cavani (he is too good!) in Martial's way and end up playing Martial out of position (as a left winger) again where his talents are not as well used.

(2) Man Utd had a great run at the end of last season based around the attacking exploits of their front three - Rashford, Martial and Greenwood. None of these players are typical #9s or typical wingers. Instead, they are are more versatile forwards who are best compared to the fluid front 3 that Man Utd had 10+ years ago with Tevez, C.Ronaldo and Rooney. That by playing them together and giving them freedom to move around and cause trouble for defenses with their versatile attacking (not just penalty box strikers but dribblers, passers and creators as well). Rashford, Martial and Greenwood have similar qualities and are best utilized by playing in a similar style of football instead of playing off of with a typical #9 who wants to stay within the penalty box areas where he does his best work. A player who wants to be fed chances from teammates rather than create chances.

In summary, Man Utd had a much more effective team based attack with versatile forwards than an out and out #9 + the development of their young attackers (in particular Martial but also Rashford and Greenwood) was best served by maintaining this style of play.

Signing Cavani is a backwards move that stalls development.
I disagree. The idea of building a front three of "Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez" sounds nice until you realise your three lads are a massively overrated English youngster, a moody French talisman who is more of an opportunistic inside forward than the mobile striker in your mind who holds the ball up front and links up with other attackers and a very talented but young forward (FWIW I think Greenwood is fantastic, he has the potential to be the next great English forward, but he's not yet at that level rn).

I also think we can make a decent case that United's late season success last season was driven by their absurd amount of penalties more than actual quality up front, the Rashford/Martial/Greenwood front three doesn't create as many chances as most people would like to believe in open play against set defences. And before the point about this front three being "great" for counterattacking football is made, none of those lads can win aerial duels against quick and physical defenders (or any duel at all tbh unless they get a penalty called in their favour after flopping like a fish out of water :laugh:) to initiate those counterattacks unless Fernandes or Van De Beek (Ole isn't even playing the latter lol) personally carry the ball to them after bypassing an entire counterpress. I guess they can drop deep to receive the ball, but none of them are Harry Kanes who can splice open an entire defence in deeper positions. It's not like they can't create at all in open play, but they don't have as many options compared to the top front threes in the league.

To summarise, I think United's attack sucks right now and Cavani is a great signing who'll put them back into the mix as a striker who can actually hold up the ball and allow their pacey wingers to cut inside as inside forwards (can Martial be somewhat like Suarez next to Cavani as an inside forward? not the same system but I feel that United can play a lopsided 4-2-3-1 so Martial can be closer to Cavani ala what Inter did with Eto'o and Milito) and do massive damage with most of the defensive attention on Cavani. Sucks that they'll probably finish in the top 10 again this season after these signings (they're getting Telles as well iirc) :(
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 10:32:27 AM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2020, 10:22:53 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Sounds much more impressive when you consider that Messi's Barcelona probably the best team of all times didn't manage to go to the final 2 times in a row

Those were different eras, Messi's Barcelona had some legendary competition (eg. 2010 Inter Milan). What teams did Real face during their run were on that level?

Save the sarcasm when you can't give me any examples :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2020, 11:35:05 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Wrong post.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2020, 12:11:44 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Arsenal getting Thomas Partey was a huge signing. He is a fantastic defensive minded midfielder. Strong ball-winner who is also very good on the ball. He is going to be brilliant for Arsenal.

Good value for money at €45mil too.

« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2020, 09:47:56 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

when you consider tie 2010 Inter legendary competition is clear we are talking about a different sport

Simeone's Atletico is more "legendary" that Murinho's one season wonder

« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2020, 01:37:38 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Marcelo Bielsa and Leeds settling in nicely in the EPL.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2020, 03:10:49 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Top of the table lads!
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2020, 03:13:31 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

when you consider tie 2010 Inter legendary competition is clear we are talking about a different sport

Couldn't agree more with the bolded when you consider Simeone's Atletico to be better than Mourinho's treble winning team that beat champions from multiple top leagues, "is clear" that 2010 Inter was a one season wonder amirite :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2020, 07:28:28 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Top of the table lads!

We haven't played yet so don't get too comfortable  ;D
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2020, 04:55:45 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Probably the most talented player ever.
His moves were quick and discombobulating.
To say that someone is Maradona at something he or she does is giving them a top remark with style points.

May he rest in peace.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2021, 08:00:41 AM »

Offline 100% Celt

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 25

lol

2009/10 we won our fifth consecutive league title. One season wonder? 🤦

If Someone were really any good, he wouldn't still be with an also ran.

« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2021, 04:24:46 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
The natives are restless

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/may/02/manchester-united-fans-invade-old-trafford-pitch-during-glazer-out-protests

One of the biggest fixtures in the English football calendar was postponed on Sunday after more than 200 Manchester United protesting against the ownership of the club broke into Old Trafford hours before their match against Liverpool. Two police officers were injured in ugly scenes outside the ground, with one being attacked with a bottle and being taken to hospital after sustaining a significant slash wound to his face.

In a planned protest that followed the Glazer family’s decision to join the European Super League (ESL) last month before pulling out within 48 hours, thousands of fans gathered outside the ground before the scheduled 4.30pm kick-off time. A large number then made their way into the stadium and onto the pitch having gained access via the Munich Tunnel after pushing down barriers, despite the attempts of security guards to stop them.

Some were seen climbing on the goalposts and removing a corner flag, while serious clashes with police around the entrance to the Munich tunnel were also reported.

“Protestors outside Old Trafford became especially aggressive and antagonistic towards police before a group of about 100 forced entry to the ground with some United staff having to lock themselves in rooms,” read a statement from Greater Manchester Police. Those in the stadium were evicted by officers but outside on the forecourt hostility grew with bottles and barriers being thrown at officers and horses. Two officers have been injured with one officer being attacked with a bottle and sustaining a significant slash wound to his face, requiring emergency hospital treatment. With the situation increasing in hostility, additional officers had to be deployed and officers had to be drawn in from neighbouring forces to assist Greater Manchester officers.”
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D