Author Topic: 2020 Historical Draft Thread: Draft over. Playoffs coming soon!  (Read 192042 times)

Re: 2020 Historical Draft Thread: NOW OPEN!!!
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2020, 09:47:54 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
#3Announcement

Due to illness, DefenseWinsChamps has stepped down from his duties as GM of the Houston Rockets. Taking his place will be poster:

freshinthehouse

freshinthehouse was looking to join the game right after I had done lottery and team assignments. His desire to play appears fortuitous and I hope everyone gives him a hearty welcome.

Obviously not ideal circumstances, and I’m sending my best to DWC (rest up and maintain your fluid levels!), but it’s really handy having someone step up so quickly.

Welcome freshinthehouse! Trade me all my favourite players and we’ll get on swimmingly ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2020, 09:58:27 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
#3Announcement

Due to illness, DefenseWinsChamps has stepped down from his duties as GM of the Houston Rockets. Taking his place will be poster:

freshinthehouse

freshinthehouse was looking to join the game right after I had done lottery and team assignments. His desire to play appears fortuitous and I hope everyone gives him a hearty welcome.

Obviously not ideal circumstances, and I’m sending my best to DWC (rest up and maintain your fluid levels!), but it’s really handy having someone step up so quickly.

Welcome freshinthehouse! Trade me all my favourite players and we’ll get on swimmingly ;D
You mean draft all the players I don't want ;)
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2020, 09:59:20 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
#3 Announcement

freshinthehouse

Welcome! You seem...fresh in the house :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2020, 10:31:10 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Is this new person a member of Celticsstrong? I don't recognize his name.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2020, 10:54:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
fresh has been around a long time, though not a heavy poster. I think fresh was involved with the initial Historical Draft in......2011? Or maybe 2012.

« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2020, 11:30:07 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
fresh has been around a long time, though not a heavy poster. I think fresh was involved with the initial Historical Draft in......2011? Or maybe 2012.
Ah okay. Then welcome back, freshinthehouse!

« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2020, 02:05:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Less than 24 hours until the draft opens at 10:30 AM EDT tomorrow. If you are not going to be live to make your pick, remember to get your draftboards in.

« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2020, 02:15:56 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Less than 24 hours until the draft opens at 10:30 AM EDT tomorrow. If you are not going to be live to make your pick, remember to get your draftboards in.
Quick question:

Let's say a player had a stellar regular season, but missed the playoffs due to injury. How do we rank him when deciding which team wins the draft? Is he a nonfactor cause he wasn't available in the post season? I mean, championships are won in the post season, not in the regular season.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 02:26:21 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2020, 02:31:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Quick question:

Let's say a player had a stellar regular season, but missed the playoffs due to injury. How do we rank him when deciding which team wins the game? Is he a nonfactor cause he wasn't available in the post season? I mean, championships are won in the post season, not in the regular season.
To each their own in judging that. If it's something you feel will adversely affect the way others judge that player and your team, either pick another year by that player or pick a different player.

Personally, I don't remember a situation where someone chose a season where their player wasn't in the playoffs. Some have picked years where their player missed portions of the regular season, like I think someone picked Bill Walton and chose a year where he missed a bunch of time.

As for someone chosing a player from this year, I think people won't hold it against the player not having a postseason this year.

« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2020, 04:25:29 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
Quick question:

Let's say a player had a stellar regular season, but missed the playoffs due to injury. How do we rank him when deciding which team wins the game? Is he a nonfactor cause he wasn't available in the post season? I mean, championships are won in the post season, not in the regular season.
To each their own in judging that. If it's something you feel will adversely affect the way others judge that player and your team, either pick another year by that player or pick a different player.

Personally, I don't remember a situation where someone chose a season where their player wasn't in the playoffs. Some have picked years where their player missed portions of the regular season, like I think someone picked Bill Walton and chose a year where he missed a bunch of time.

As for someone chosing a player from this year, I think people won't hold it against the player not having a postseason this year.
So I said something similar to this earlier, but I think the lack of postseason does affect how I perceive players this draft. Let's say player A had a phenomenal season this year, and Player B was slightly inferior in comparison, but was awesome in the postseason. Who would you take first? For me, I'd definitely take Player B.

« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2020, 06:58:41 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Quick question:

So I said something similar to this earlier, but I think the lack of postseason does affect how I perceive players this draft. Let's say player A had a phenomenal season this year, and Player B was slightly inferior in comparison, but was awesome in the postseason. Who would you take first? For me, I'd definitely take Player B.
How about if a player had a phenomenal regular season, but was a ghost of his former self during the post season due to injury? Does he still take full credit for his phenomenal regular season?

What do you guys think about this?

« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2020, 07:07:31 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Quick question:

How about if a player had a phenomenal regular season, but was a ghost of his former self during the post season due to injury? Does he still take full credit for his phenomenal regular season?

It really all comes down to what individuals find important. Given that the winner of this game is determined by voting, it’s completely subjective.

I personally would have to take a guy getting injured in the playoffs into account, as in my little fantasy land these teams will end up playing a playoff series of sorts, and whoever I think would be the champion is the winner.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2020, 07:18:15 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
Quick question:

I would definitely use a different season for said player, even if that season isn't quite as good. However, I don't think you would run into that decision very often.

« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2020, 07:36:22 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’m voting solely on whether I think the players you choose would look good in your franchise’s uniforms.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2020, 07:48:54 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
I’m voting solely on whether I think the players you choose would look good in your franchise’s uniforms.
So I win? C'mon, the Nuggets jerseys are pretty sexy.