Author Topic: The 2020 Historical Draft - 2000's edition. Nothing else to do? Join up!!  (Read 25500 times)

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
What time of day was decide on?
A start time hasn't been decided upon yet. Hoping we get more people that would then give us more time preferences to look at.

Given the wide swath of preferences, I was thinking maybe a late morning start time that goes into the early afternoon.

Maybe try for a 10:00, 10:30 or 11:00AM EST start time that would push the game until like 1:00-2:00 PM

Opinions on that?
That would be great, I'd be available for most of the draft now that daylight savings are back in place.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
What time of day was decide on?
A start time hasn't been decided upon yet. Hoping we get more people that would then give us more time preferences to look at.

Given the wide swath of preferences, I was thinking maybe a late morning start time that goes into the early afternoon.

Maybe try for a 10:00, 10:30 or 11:00AM EST start time that would push the game until like 1:00-2:00 PM

Opinions on that?
That's fine for me also.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Guys. We are still over a week away. I got stuff doing this week.

I will say, if no one else joins, I would be willing to draft a team but, due to being the commish, am not crazy about the idea due to conflict of interest issues. Maybe if I draft last and make no trades, that mitigates some of the conflicts a bit, but it still means I see people draftboards if they have to send in lists to me, which I think makes it a no go.

Anyway, just a thought.
nick, perhaps for your draft picks, assign a "team" (3-5 owners) to each spot to choose for you. you would have multiple teams picking multiple times. maybe 2-3 slots per team?

Also, any trades you wish to make would be vetted and approved by a majority vote of other owners.
Thanks for the great suggestions, but two of the most important areas of being a commish that are essential to the integrity of the game are:

1. Taking player's draftboard lists and

2. Being able to give advice and suggestions to the team owners...act as a sound board for them.

Being an owner and a commish compromises those aspects of being the commish, so I think it best to stay as just the commissioner.

Besides, if someone drops out and I have to take over their team, mid game(and yes, that happens due to discipline, the real world taking precedent and lack of interest), I would then not be able to do that.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Bump for one last GM to join us!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Bump for one last GM to join us!
And another bump!
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Alright, I'll play!
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Alright, I'll play!
Awesome. TPs to you.

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
Was hesitant at first with uncertainties over work and a 6-month-old at home, but these are always a lot of fun.  Great crew of owners it looks like and a big thanks to Nick for being willing to oversee it.

EDIT:  Working from home for the foreseeable future so it looks like this will be the perfect hobby during these next few weeks.

Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
Any time of day is fine for me.  I'll be on and off throughout the day and am fine emailing short draft boards to nick when I know I won't be able to make my pick.

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
Alright, I'll play!
Huzzah! We have our 12th owner!

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I will do the draft order reveal and team assignments on Friday. That will give everybody the weekend to make trades before the draft opens next Monday.

Would be nice to get two more players.

The more the merrier.

So come on people, join up. It's going to be a great way to get a basketball fix for three weeks.

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
I will do the draft order reveal and team assignments on Friday. That will give everybody the weekend to make trades before the draft opens next Monday.

The more the merrier.

So come on people, join up. It's going to be a great way to get a basketball fix for three weeks.

As someone who has done a ton of these over the years, I can't speak enough about how much fun it is, and how it is a great way to enjoy debating and strategizing basketball during these down weeks.

And after being a commish in the OG CB Draft, I can't speak enough about how demanding of a job it is. So TP to Nick for once again putting this together and running the operations, can't wait for next week!
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

The more the merrier.

All right, I want to join as well.

I'm hesitant to participate in these games for two reasons: 1. time difference 2. only following NBA closely since 2014.
But with society being closed down almost entirely in Europe it's nice to have a distraction.

I do have a few questions (probably more will pop up):

1. Does the 99/00 season count?
2. How is draft order determined? On the basis of entry or lottery?

I most likely have to send draft boards to Nick as I probably have to work during draft time (I work in the pharmaceutical distribution). As a newcomer: any advice is welcome  :)

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker

The more the merrier.

I'm hesitant to participate in these games for two reasons: 1. time difference 2. only following NBA closely since 2014.
But with society being closed down almost entirely in Europe it's nice to have a distraction.

I most likely have to send draft boards to Nick as I probably have to work during draft time (I work in the pharmaceutical distribution). As a newcomer: any advice is welcome  :)
Welcome! So to answer your questions, the 99/00 season DOES count, and the order is completely random.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

The more the merrier.

Welcome! So to answer your questions, the 99/00 season DOES count, and the order is completely random.
Yeah, my random way of assignment is fairly simple. I put everyone's name in one hat, all the teams in another and have someone else select one name and one team out of each hat and that determines team assignment and draft order.

Years will be 99-00 to 2019-20.