Author Topic: 2019 Historical: How Does My Team Look Thread  (Read 52097 times)

Re: 2019 Historical: How Does My Team Look Thread
« Reply #150 on: September 05, 2019, 08:00:33 AM »

Offline greenrunsdeep41

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 152
Bill Russell - 1961 - 1962
Giannis - 2018 - 2019
Durant - 2017 - 2018
Bowen - 2002 - 2003
Thomas - 1989 1990

Harden - 2018-2019
Thompson - 1977 - 1978
Cunningham - 1969-1970
Heinsohn - 1961 - 1962
Embiid - 2018 2019

Schayes - 1957 - 1958
Monroe - 1967 - 1968

18 rings in my starting 5
My main concern with this team is spacing. Isiah, Giannis and Russell are all weak floor-spacers. Could make it hard, especially with Bowen's offence only coming from corner 3's.
Isiah in this exercise should be an above average three point shooter according to the stats. We're not using the time machine no? But yeah Bowen and Russell really limits the offense.
What stats are you looking at?  Isiah took enough 3pt shots (career 29% on 1.4 attempts) to project him as below average or at best an average 3pt shooter.  He was an average free throw shooter.       

Totally disagree. I’m standing by the fact that you cant have 5 all time greats in a starting 5 with one ball. You need all time great role players. Basketball is a team game.

Also, like I posted above this is a one season exercise. IT shot .47 percent on 3.5 attempts during the season I selected, I the playoffs.

Tom Heinsohn is one of the toughest and smartest basketball players to ever play the game.
2019 Historical Draft - Golden State

C - Bill Russell/Joel Embiid
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo/Tommy Heinsohn
SF - Kevin Durant/Billy Cunningham
SG - Bruce Bowen/David Thompson
PG - Isiah Thomas/James Harden

« Reply #151 on: September 05, 2019, 08:10:15 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2418
On Paul Westphal,

In a period from 1975-76 to 1979-80, Paul Westphal for me was the best guard in the NBA. He was an offensive machine that (1) scored at a high rate (2) with high efficiency (3) added quality playmaking for SG.

Westphal led the Phoenix Suns to the NBA Finals as a starting PG in 1976 where they lost to the Celtics. He spent the next 4 years as a SG where he could better take advantage of his scoring prowess. In 1979, he led the Suns to the Western Conference Finals where they lost in 7 games to the eventual Champions Seattle Supersonics (in an incredibly tight series - Sonics outscored Suns by 1 or 2 points over whole series).

His ability to also play PG made him a strong ball-handler and passer for a SG. I liked this quality about him when choosing a backcourt mate for Walt Frazier and for trying to build an offense with decentralized / shared playmaking rather than a PG centric system.

Over this 5 year period, Westphal was All-NBA first team 3 teams and second team once. He missed out in 1976 when he led his Phoenix Suns team to the Finals.

In his two most prolific seasons, Westphal averaged 24.6ppg in just 31.8mpg (legendary Suns coach John MacLeod [should be in HoF] liked to spread out minutes out throughout the team, more like today's NBA -- which limited just how impressive Westphal's stats could have been) on 52.5% FG% which is a very impressive number for a prolific scoring combo guard who took a lot of jumpers. Westphal also added 6.0apg showing quality playmaking as the secondary ball-handler on the team.

Westphal was a solid defender who could defend both guard positions well. His man D (bit above average) was better than his team D (average). He didn't rebound much but part of that was coaching - Westphal was the designated leak out man on fastbreaks.

Westphal was known for having a huge variety of shots and the ability to shoot with either hand around the basket (think of Larry Bird or Steve Nash). As well as for dunking with left hand so that he kept his right hand fresh for shooting jump shots. Westphal was an incredibly clever player who combined strong fundamentals with great creative sense (particularly in terms of shot making).

Westphal had a career altering injury at this point in his career that ended his time as an elite guard in the league and turned him into a role player before returning at a young age of 33.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 09:49:00 AM by Who »

« Reply #152 on: September 05, 2019, 08:17:08 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2418
I liked Kirilenko more as a PF than as a SF. He had his best years as an undersized quick PF where he had advantages in terms of quickness and solid perimeter skills (handles, passing, shooting). As a SF, he had less of a quickness advantage and his perimeter skills were decidedly below average.

Defensively, I'd rate Kirilenko more as a team defender than a man defender. I liked him best as a PF because his defensive quickness was game changing at that position. It best allowed him to stay near the hoop and use his leaping ability and long arms to reject shots around the basket.

« Reply #153 on: September 05, 2019, 08:24:24 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I present to you the Los Angeles Lakers full roster.

Starting 5:

PG: Stephen Curry (2015-2016)
Unanimous NBA MVP, All-NBA First Team, NBA All-Star, Scoring champion, Steals champion, 3 point makes leader (402 threes made!), 2nd finals appearance. Stats: 30.1 PPG, 6.7 APG, 5.4 RPG, 2.1 SPG, 50.4 FG%, 45.4 3p%, 90.8 FT%, 63 eFG%

SG: Tracy McGrady (2002-2003)
All-NBA First Team, NBA All-Star, Scoring champion. Stats: 32.1 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 5.5 APG, 1.7 SPG, 0.8 BPG, 45.7 FG%, 38.6 3p%, 79.4 FT%

SF: Julius Erving (1975-1976)
ABA MVP, All-ABA 1st Team, ABA Playoffs MVP, ABA All-Defensive First Team, ABA All-Star, ABA champion. Stats: 29.3 PPG, 11 RPG, 5 APG, 2.5 SPG, 1.9 BPG, 50.7 FG%, 33 3p%, 80.1 FT%

PF: Kevin Garnett (2003-2004)
NBA MVP, All-NBA First Team, NBA All-Defensive First Team, defensive and overall rebounding champion. Stats: 24.2 PPG, 13.9 RPG, 5 APG, 1.5 SPG, 2.2 BPG, 49.9 FG%, 79.1 FT%

Dave Cowens (1975-1976)
All-NBA Second Team, NBA All-Defensive First Team, NBA All-Star, NBA champion. Stats: 19 PPG, 16 RPG, 4.2 APG, 1.2 SPG, 0.9 BPG, 46.8 FG%, 75.6 FT%

Second Unit

PG: Steve Nash (2006-2007)
2nd in MVP voting, All-NBA First Team, Assists champion, NBA All-Star. Stats: 18.6 PPG, 11.6 APG, 3.5 RPG, 0.8 SPG, 53.2 FG%, 45.5 3p%, 89.9 FT%, 61.3 eFG%

SG: Eddie Jones (1999-2000)
All-NBA Third Team, NBA All-Defensive Second Team, NBA All-Star, Steals champion. Stats: 20.1 PPG, 4.8 RPG, 4.2 APG, 2.7 SPG, 0.7 BPG, 42.7 FG%, 37.5 3p%, 86.4 FT%

SF: Shawn Marion (2005-2006)
All-NBA Third Team, NBA All-Star. Stats: 21.8 PPG, 11.8 RPG, 1.8 APG, 2 SPG, 1.7 BPG, 52.5 FG%, 33.1 3p%, 80.9 FT%

PF: Elton Brand (2005-2006)
All-NBA Second Team, NBA All-Star. Stats: 24.7 PPG, 10 RPG, 2.6 APG, 1 SPG, 2.5 BPG, 52.7 FG%, 33.3 3p%, 77.5 FT%

C: Artis Gilmore (1974-1975)
All-ABA First Team, ABA All-Defensive First Team, ABA Playoffs MVP, ABA champion. Stats: 23.6 PPG, 16.2 RPG, 2.5 APG, 0.8 SPG, 3.1 BPG, 58 FG%, 69.6 FT%

Situational bench players to combat certain matchups

G: Gail Goodrich (1971-1972)
NBA All-Star, NBA champion. Stats: 25.9 PPG, 4.5 APG, 3.6 RPG, 48.7 FG%, 85 FT%.

F: Draymond Green (2015-2016)
All-NBA Second Team, NBA All-Defensive First Team, NBA All-Star, 2nd finals appearance. Stats: 14 PPG, 9.5 RPG, 7.4 APG, 1.5 SPG, 1.4 BPG, 49 FG%, 38.8 3p%, 69.6 FT%.

Offensive play
This Laker team will be starting games with Tracy McGrady as the main ballhandler (McGrady was one of the best passing forwards in NBA history, posting an assist percentage of 30% in the season I picked) in the pick and roll/pop with Kevin Garnett or Dave Cowens (depending on matchups) while Stephen Curry will be stretching defenses with his incredible gravity and off ball movement to prevent teams from loading up on that two man action, or make them pay dearly for doing so with his incredible volume 3 point shooting. The other big man will also be stretching the floor to draw out a rim protector from the paint (both Cowens and KG had an excellent midrange jumpshot), and the Doctor will be waiting at the wing for any wide open threes (he was a decent three point shooter in his ABA days that could make defenses pay for leaving him wide open) or feeds from cuts to finish over interior defenses with his unique package of athleticism and finesse in the air. We can also run this play with Curry being the main ballhandler if McGrady's defender is a strong defender who we'd like to isolate on the weak side to exploit a favourable matchup. We also plan on utilising transition plays as much as we can on offense: all of the players in the starting lineup had skillsets that were great for run and gun offense, with Curry's amazing transition pullup threes, McGrady's length, athleticism and ballhandling, the Doctor's ability to hang in the air and make plays that only a select few can in that territory, as well as the speed and high revving motors of Garnett and Cowens, both of which are great defensive rebounders (Garnett was the best defensive rebounder in the 00s alongside Dwight Howard, and Cowens was a savant at grabbing caroms against larger centers during his deep playoff runs in the 70s with the Celtics) to initiate a fastbreak with their good court vision and passing. What I like about this team is its versatility-every player can adjust to another player being the offensive centerpiece. Curry's shooting and off ball movement makes him a perfect guard who can feed off of other superstars creating space for his teammates, McGrady's all round scoring package combined with his size and athleticism can allow him to play off ball (decent 3 point shooter and a good finisher for the SG position) while still being a scoring threat once he receives a pass from our players creating from the high/mid post to keep defenses honest, Doctor J's ability to glide in the air makes him a great target for alley oops or shovel passes off of cuts, and finally the shooting, passing and court awareness of Garnett and Cowens makes them great floor spacers or targets for feeds when our wing players go iso (the Doctor thrived in the mid post and McGrady in his Orlando days liked to score in isolation off the dribble). I believe that this versatility will allow us to find the most efficient method of attack to exploit the defenses of other teams and result in a potent offense that few teams in this game can match.

Our bench will almost be solely running through one of the best floor generals in history, Steve Nash. His combination of efficient scoring, shooting and passing is almost unparalleled, and we'll be using it to its full potential with two athletic forwards in the second unit who can set picks for him to exploit defenses in Elton Brand and Shawn Marion. Eddie Jones will be spotting up from 3 to space the floor to (again) prevent defenses from loading up on the two man game, and unleash a barrage of 3s if defenses choose to do so. Artis Gilmore will be right at home on offense-he'll be only taking shots that are high percentage looks, and he'll mostly be using his gravity created by his size and finishing, as well as hi decent midrange jumpshot to prevent the opposing center from cheating off of him lest he wants the A-Train to take and make a high percentage shot. Our isolation offense from this unit will mainly come from Elton Brand, who was one of the most underrated PFs in the 00s with his ability to shoot midrange jumpshots at a high clip in the high post or rumble down the lane for a thunderous dunk if he's played too tight. Draymond Green will be utilised off the bench if we need some playmaking and 3 point shooting (he shot 38.8% from 3 on over 6 attempts per game in the 15-16 season) in the backup forward positions, while Goodrich will be used if we need a gunner who can score a bunch of points in a hurry.

Defensive play
I also expect the defense to be rock solid as well. Despite what their reputations would suggest, Steph Curry and Tracy McGrady are not negatives on defense-both of them are solid defenders who can hold their own against other players in their position, with the latter being able to make a positive impact if he cranks it up (TMac posted 4.5 DWS and 1.6 DBPM in the 06-07 season when he was on the Rockets as an SG, where he had more offensive talent flanking him, which allowed him to focus more on the defensive end and be a positive there). The Doctor was a positive on defense with his otherworldly athleticism allowing him to a great help defender as well as a solid man defender, and Kevin Garnett is one of the best defensive power forwards of all time if not the best due to his uncanny speed for his size, his court awareness and his unrelenting motor that allowed him to be a strong man defender while roaming around the court to help out his teammates (all the while still posting one of the best defensive rebounding rates in NBA history during his prime!). Dave Cowens was another frontcourt player who had a burning desire to win every 50/50 play, and he combined that with good speed and strength to batter opposing centers who were taller than him, as well as good court awareness (he was always in the right place at the right time when it came to making big plays, as evidenced by his great hustle play in the elimination game of the 1976 finals against the Suns to win the Celtics their 2nd title of the 70s). I believe that interior defense is more important than perimeter defense when it comes to buoying a team's defense, and our tough frontcourt has the mobility and smarts to roam around and help out our weaker perimeter defenders to make our team above average on that end among the teams in this game.

Our bench unit also uses a similar concept, albeit a bit more traditional as we have Artis Gilmore anchoring the pivot. His mobility during his prime in the early to mid 70s was decent enough to not be a turnstile on switches though, so I expect our second unit to not get killed in the pick and roll/pop. Our wings in Eddie Jones and Shawn Marion are versatile 6'6-6'8 guys who have the foot speed, size and strength to guard multiple positions, and will be expected to provide lockdown defense on the perimeter to help out Steve Nash. Elton Brand is also no slouch on this end of the floor, utilising his 7+ foot wingspan to bother players attacking the rim as well as having the foot speed to guard quicker power forwards and disupt perimeter players on switches. "The Stump" will be our backup point guard if we face a matchup that has a backup point guard who can light it up, as he was known for his pesky defense when he was guarding the waterbug guards of the 70s next to Jerry West, who defended the bigger guard. Draymond Green will be an emergency stop gap forward if we ever need a guy who can step in and play some terrific man defense on a bulky forward who Marion or Brand may have issues dealing with as well as bolster our team defense.

Overall
I expect the team to be dangerous in attack and solid on defense, and I believe that the versatility of this squad can really shine in such a setting where teams will have to match up against all kinds of teams composed by all-time greats.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #154 on: September 05, 2019, 08:26:58 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I liked Kirilenko more as a PF than as a SF. He had his best years as an undersized quick PF where he had advantages in terms of quickness and solid perimeter skills (handles, passing, shooting). As a SF, he had less of a quickness advantage and his perimeter skills were decidedly below average.

Defensively, I'd rate Kirilenko more as a team defender than a man defender. I liked him best as a PF because his defensive quickness was game changing at that position. It best allowed him to stay near the hoop and use his leaping ability and long arms to reject shots around the basket.
Agreed, he was a great PF to me imo. He should do fine as an SF in this game though, it's not like we have a bunch of speedy backup SFs who're offensive flamethrowers.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #155 on: September 05, 2019, 08:28:16 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25621
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
With AK47, I think in the 2004 and 2005 seasons he was deployed roughly 50/50 at SF/PF. I think he can back up both positions well.

I don’t think teams need a strict hierarchy off of their benches. I think that as Nick said earlier, it makes sense that all teams would have coaches that deploy their personnel in the best way possible. I assume then that Philadelphia’s coach would make the right decision between AK, Lucas, and Aguirre.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #156 on: September 05, 2019, 08:35:07 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be

Starting 5:

Unanimous NBA MVP, All-NBA First Team, NBA All-Star, Scoring champion, Steals champion, 3 point makes leader (402 threes made!), 2nd finals appearance. Stats: 30.1 PPG, 6.7 APG, 5.4 RPG, 2.1 SPG, 50.4 FG%, 45.4 3p%, 90.8 FT%, 63 eFG%

All-NBA First Team, NBA All-Star, Scoring champion. Stats: 32.1 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 5.5 APG, 1.7 SPG, 0.8 BPG, 45.7 FG%, 38.6 3p%, 79.4 FT%

ABA MVP, All-ABA 1st Team, ABA Playoffs MVP, ABA All-Defensive First Team, ABA All-Star, ABA champion. Stats: 29.3 PPG, 11 RPG, 5 APG, 2.5 SPG, 1.9 BPG, 50.7 FG%, 33 3p%, 80.1 FT%

NBA MVP, All-NBA First Team, NBA All-Defensive First Team, defensive and overall rebounding champion. Stats: 24.2 PPG, 13.9 RPG, 5 APG, 1.5 SPG, 2.2 BPG, 49.9 FG%, 79.1 FT%

Dave Cowens (1975-1976)
All-NBA Second Team, NBA All-Defensive First Team, NBA All-Star, NBA champion. Stats: 19 PPG, 16 RPG, 4.2 APG, 1.2 SPG, 0.9 BPG, 46.8 FG%, 75.6 FT%

Second Unit

2nd in MVP voting, All-NBA First Team, Assists champion, NBA All-Star. Stats: 18.6 PPG, 11.6 APG, 3.5 RPG, 0.8 SPG, 53.2 FG%, 45.5 3p%, 89.9 FT%, 61.3 eFG%

All-NBA Third Team, NBA All-Defensive Second Team, NBA All-Star, Steals champion. Stats: 20.1 PPG, 4.8 RPG, 4.2 APG, 2.7 SPG, 0.7 BPG, 42.7 FG%, 37.5 3p%, 86.4 FT%

All-NBA Third Team, NBA All-Star. Stats: 21.8 PPG, 11.8 RPG, 1.8 APG, 2 SPG, 1.7 BPG, 52.5 FG%, 33.1 3p%, 80.9 FT%

All-NBA Second Team, NBA All-Star. Stats: 24.7 PPG, 10 RPG, 2.6 APG, 1 SPG, 2.5 BPG, 52.7 FG%, 33.3 3p%, 77.5 FT%

All-ABA First Team, ABA All-Defensive First Team, ABA Playoffs MVP, ABA champion. Stats: 23.6 PPG, 16.2 RPG, 2.5 APG, 0.8 SPG, 3.1 BPG, 58 FG%, 69.6 FT%

NBA All-Star, NBA champion. Stats: 25.9 PPG, 4.5 APG, 3.6 RPG, 48.7 FG%, 85 FT%.

All-NBA Second Team, NBA All-Defensive First Team, NBA All-Star, 2nd finals appearance. Stats: 14 PPG, 9.5 RPG, 7.4 APG, 1.5 SPG, 1.4 BPG, 49 FG%, 38.8 3p%, 69.6 FT%.

Offensive play
This Laker team will be starting games with Tracy McGrady as the main ballhandler (McGrady was one of the best passing forwards in NBA history, posting an assist percentage of 30% in the season I picked) in the pick and roll/pop with Kevin Garnett or Dave Cowens (depending on matchups) while Stephen Curry will be stretching defenses with his incredible gravity and off ball movement to prevent teams from loading up on that two man action, or make them pay dearly for doing so with his incredible volume 3 point shooting. The other big man will also be stretching the floor to draw out a rim protector from the paint (both Cowens and KG had an excellent midrange jumpshot), and the Doctor will be waiting at the wing for any wide open threes (he was a decent three point shooter in his ABA days that could make defenses pay for leaving him wide open) or feeds from cuts to finish over interior defenses with his unique package of athleticism and finesse in the air. We can also run this play with Curry being the main ballhandler if McGrady's defender is a strong defender who we'd like to isolate on the weak side to exploit a favourable matchup. We also plan on utilising transition plays as much as we can on offense: all of the players in the starting lineup had skillsets that were great for run and gun offense, with Curry's amazing transition pullup threes, McGrady's length, athleticism and ballhandling, the Doctor's ability to hang in the air and make plays that only a select few can in that territory, as well as the speed and high revving motors of Garnett and Cowens, both of which are great defensive rebounders (Garnett was the best defensive rebounder in the 00s alongside Dwight Howard, and Cowens was a savant at grabbing caroms against larger centers during his deep playoff runs in the 70s with the Celtics) to initiate a fastbreak with their good court vision and passing. What I like about this team is its versatility-every player can adjust to another player being the offensive centerpiece. Curry's shooting and off ball movement makes him a perfect guard who can feed off of other superstars creating space for his teammates, McGrady's all round scoring package combined with his size and athleticism can allow him to play off ball (decent 3 point shooter and a good finisher for the SG position) while still being a scoring threat once he receives a pass from our players creating from the high/mid post to keep defenses honest, Doctor J's ability to glide in the air makes him a great target for alley oops or shovel passes off of cuts, and finally the shooting, passing and court awareness of Garnett and Cowens makes them great floor spacers or targets for feeds when our wing players go iso (the Doctor thrived in the mid post and McGrady in his Orlando days liked to score in isolation off the dribble). I believe that this versatility will allow us to find the most efficient method of attack to exploit the defenses of other teams and result in a potent offense that few teams in this game can match.

Our bench will almost be solely running through one of the best floor generals in history, Steve Nash. His combination of efficient scoring, shooting and passing is almost unparalleled, and we'll be using it to its full potential with two athletic forwards in the second unit who can set picks for him to exploit defenses in Elton Brand and Shawn Marion. Eddie Jones will be spotting up from 3 to space the floor to (again) prevent defenses from loading up on the two man game, and unleash a barrage of 3s if defenses choose to do so. Artis Gilmore will be right at home on offense-he'll be only taking shots that are high percentage looks, and he'll mostly be using his gravity created by his size and finishing, as well as hi decent midrange jumpshot to prevent the opposing center from cheating off of him lest he wants the A-Train to take and make a high percentage shot. Our isolation offense from this unit will mainly come from Elton Brand, who was one of the most underrated PFs in the 00s with his ability to shoot midrange jumpshots at a high clip in the high post or rumble down the lane for a thunderous dunk if he's played too tight. Draymond Green will be utilised off the bench if we need some playmaking and 3 point shooting (he shot 38.8% from 3 on over 6 attempts per game in the 15-16 season) in the backup forward positions, while Goodrich will be used if we need a gunner who can score a bunch of points in a hurry.

Defensive play
I also expect the defense to be rock solid as well. Despite what their reputations would suggest, Steph Curry and Tracy McGrady are not negatives on defense-both of them are solid defenders who can hold their own against other players in their position, with the latter being able to make a positive impact if he cranks it up (TMac posted 4.5 DWS and 1.6 DBPM in the 06-07 season when he was on the Rockets as an SG, where he had more offensive talent flanking him, which allowed him to focus more on the defensive end and be a positive there). The Doctor was a positive on defense with his otherworldly athleticism allowing him to a great help defender as well as a solid man defender, and Kevin Garnett is one of the best defensive power forwards of all time if not the best due to his uncanny speed for his size, his court awareness and his unrelenting motor that allowed him to be a strong man defender while roaming around the court to help out his teammates (all the while still posting one of the best defensive rebounding rates in NBA history during his prime!). Dave Cowens was another frontcourt player who had a burning desire to win every 50/50 play, and he combined that with good speed and strength to batter opposing centers who were taller than him, as well as good court awareness (he was always in the right place at the right time when it came to making big plays, as evidenced by his great hustle play in the elimination game of the 1976 finals against the Suns to win the Celtics their 2nd title of the 70s). I believe that interior defense is more important than perimeter defense when it comes to buoying a team's defense, and our tough frontcourt has the mobility and smarts to roam around and help out our weaker perimeter defenders to make our team above average on that end among the teams in this game.

Our bench unit also uses a similar concept, albeit a bit more traditional as we have Artis Gilmore anchoring the pivot. His mobility during his prime in the early to mid 70s was decent enough to not be a turnstile on switches though, so I expect our second unit to not get killed in the pick and roll/pop. Our wings in Eddie Jones and Shawn Marion are versatile 6'6-6'8 guys who have the foot speed, size and strength to guard multiple positions, and will be expected to provide lockdown defense on the perimeter to help out Steve Nash. Elton Brand is also no slouch on this end of the floor, utilising his 7+ foot wingspan to bother players attacking the rim as well as having the foot speed to guard quicker power forwards and disupt perimeter players on switches. "The Stump" will be our backup point guard if we face a matchup that has a backup point guard who can light it up, as he was known for his pesky defense when he was guarding the waterbug guards of the 70s next to Jerry West, who defended the bigger guard. Draymond Green will be an emergency stop gap forward if we ever need a guy who can step in and play some terrific man defense on a bulky forward who Marion or Brand may have issues dealing with as well as bolster our team defense.

Overall
I expect the team to be dangerous in attack and solid on defense, and I believe that the versatility of this squad can really shine in such a setting where teams will have to match up against all kinds of teams composed by all-time greats.

I don't know how I feel about T-Mac being a starter in this kind of exercise but I really do like the well-roundedness & versatility of this team, otherwise.   Can score, can defend, can rebound.  Ball movement should be excellent.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #157 on: September 05, 2019, 08:46:57 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Totally disagree. I’m standing by the fact that you cant have 5 all time greats in a starting 5 with one ball. You need all time great role players. Basketball is a team game.

You can’t have five ball hogs, but you can certainly pick five HOFers so long as they’re well-rounded.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #158 on: September 05, 2019, 08:49:31 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be

You can’t have five ball hogs, but you can certainly pick five HOFers so long as they’re well-rounded.

Absolutely.  (See Dream Team I)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #159 on: September 05, 2019, 09:03:36 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Starting 5:

Dave Cowens (1975-1976)

Second Unit

Offensive play

Defensive play

Overall

I don't know how I feel about T-Mac being a starter in this kind of exercise but I really do like the well-roundedness & versatility of this team, otherwise.   Can score, can defend, can rebound.  Ball movement should be excellent.
I'm okay with him in the starting lineup tbh. He wasn't as horrible defensively at SG as people suggest, and his passing is really underrated. He doesn't scale excellently, but I'll probably utilise him on ball quite a lot so it shouldn't matter too much. My starting lineup can use a perimeter engine like him to guzzle up usage anyways lol.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #160 on: September 05, 2019, 09:18:44 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

Starting 5:

Dave Cowens (1975-1976)

Second Unit

Offensive play

Defensive play

Overall

I'm okay with him in the starting lineup tbh. He wasn't as horrible defensively at SG as people suggest, and his passing is really underrated. He doesn't scale excellently, but I'll probably utilise him on ball quite a lot so it shouldn't matter too much. My starting lineup can use a perimeter engine like him to guzzle up usage anyways lol.

he was an average defender in 2002-2003.

104.5 Defensive rating
a .074 defensive win share

In fact tracy only had a 3.6 net rating that year, meaning with him on the court he proved 3.6 more points per 100 possessions than his opponent on 35% usage.

By comparison, My year for Carmelo has him at a +.084 defensive win share.

And we all know Melo didnt care about defense.

personally, i think I like eddie jones starting in place of Tracy and playing defense, getting steals and making 3pointers, and I LOVE tracy playing off steve nash and basically scoring at will off the bench. He would torch other teams offensively.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 09:24:12 AM by Silky »

« Reply #161 on: September 05, 2019, 09:29:34 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
ANNOUNCEMENT

I have not received a roster from Celts Fan 508(Chicago Bulls). At this point I separated his roster down to starters and bench, based on his last post that was in this thread before his last two picks.

I sent out a PM and an email to 508. Hopefully he gets back to me soon. I have assigned years to his players for him so that others may judge his team.

So as to not show favoritism in picking out what I thought was the best years for each player, I simply chose their third All-Star year. If they didn't have 3 All-Star appearances, I chose their 2nd appearance. If they only had one All-Star appearance I chose that year. If none, I chose their 5th year playing in the NBA.

If 508 gets back to me with dates, I will consider changing, depending on how soon that is, in the meantime, if people want to place their votes, they can, and should base their vote on Chicago based on years I provided.

Thank you

« Reply #162 on: September 05, 2019, 09:44:04 AM »

Offline greenrunsdeep41

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 152

Sure, but you’re still relying heavily on an added amount of speculation. My intention was to make an observable, as much as possible, argument.

And also, the dream team wasn’t playing other all time greats. Their competition was a much less talented than current, global field.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 09:49:25 AM by greenrunsdeep41 »
2019 Historical Draft - Golden State

C - Bill Russell/Joel Embiid
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo/Tommy Heinsohn
SF - Kevin Durant/Billy Cunningham
SG - Bruce Bowen/David Thompson
PG - Isiah Thomas/James Harden

« Reply #163 on: September 05, 2019, 09:47:52 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Sure, but you’re still relying heavily on an added amount of speculation. My intention was to make an observable, as much as possible, argument.

I don’t think it’s really any more observable. Perhaps more like a “real” NBA team, but is that the point? You’re just setting up Giannis or Durant to be double-teamed every possession, in my opinion.

« Reply #164 on: September 05, 2019, 09:50:58 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
ANNOUNCEMENT

Voting is now open and you can vote anytime between now and 11:59:59 PM EST, tomorrow, September 6th.

As stated in a previous announcement: if everyone's ballots are in Thursday, I will reveal Friday at noon. If I have them early Friday, I will reveal Friday night at 8:00PM, otherwise it will be Saturday at noon. All times EST.

The reveal will take place in the original Historical Draft thread.

Please send me your ballot in the following format:

League Standings
1. Team1
2. Team2
3. Team3
11. Team11

Eastern Conference
1. Team
2. Team
3. Team
6. Team

Western Conference
1. Team
2. Team
3. Team
6. Team

Please rank teams in a Power Ranking format, best to worst, irregardless of Conference in League Standings. List how you feel each Conference would finish. Yes, these standings should be consistent, you're just providing the Conference info to save me some processing time

PLEASE STICK TO THIS FORMAT AS IT WILL BE EASIER TO CUT AND PASTE INTO MY SPREADSHEET

Here are the final rosters. Note Chicago's years chosen may change but you can make voting decisions based on years provided until those years change, if they do change.

Non- Participants are welcome to send in ballots. They won't count to selecting a winner but those results will be published as a bit of a comparison to how others not playing the game saw things.

TEAM ROSTERS

EASTERN CONFERENCE

BOSTON
Starters
David Robinson 1993-94
Kevin McHale 1986-87
LeBron James 2012-13
Reggie Miller 1994-95
Chauncey Billups 2005-06

Bench
Dwight Howard 2008-09
Bob McAdoo 1974-75