Author Topic: Celtics (9-2) at Raptors (5-6) Game #12 11/17/23  (Read 9801 times)

Re: Celtics (9-2) at Raptors (5-6) Game #12 11/17/23
« Reply #165 on: November 17, 2023, 11:02:23 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 733
Hope JB is okay.  Already disliked the gimmick courts.  Actively hate them now that I just watched guys slip all night on one.

I can also say I hate this in-season tournament thing. It’s unfortunate that they have to lose real regular season games to avoid playing in the final. I can’t imagine watching the final game knowing it means nothing and is just a golden opportunity for an injury.

we could always win all the games that lead up to the final and then sit our top 8-9.  that would be pretty funny and make the commish furious.

I'm all for anything to upset Martian Face.
Has that guy ever been out in the sun, even to walk down the sidewalk ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #166 on: November 17, 2023, 11:11:33 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1482
Hope JB is okay.  Already disliked the gimmick courts.  Actively hate them now that I just watched guys slip all night on one.

I can also say I hate this in-season tournament thing. It’s unfortunate that they have to lose real regular season games to avoid playing in the final. I can’t imagine watching the final game knowing it means nothing and is just a golden opportunity for an injury.

we could always win all the games that lead up to the final and then sit our top 8-9.  that would actually be pretty funny and make the commish furious.

The final game of the IS Tourney should determine who gets home-court advantage for the NBA Finals.

If your winner doesn't advance to the NBA Finals, then home-court should be given to that conference that represents the Finals.

well I like upping the importance of the tourney if we have to have one, but what if another team just steamrolls the regular season, but gets beat in the tourney?  If some team wins 65 games they don't get home court for the whole playoffs because they lost one game?  That doesn't seem fair either.

« Reply #167 on: November 17, 2023, 11:32:12 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

we could always win all the games that lead up to the final and then sit our top 8-9.  that would actually be pretty funny and make the commish furious.

The final game of the IS Tourney should determine who gets home-court advantage for the NBA Finals.

If your winner doesn't advance to the NBA Finals, then home-court should be given to that conference that represents the Finals.

well I like upping the importance of the tourney if we have to have one, but what if another team just steamrolls the regular season, but gets beat in the tourney?  If some team wins 65 games they don't get home court for the whole playoffs because they lost one game?  That doesn't seem fair either.

Yeah, let’s not Bud Selig this thing.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #168 on: November 17, 2023, 11:43:54 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
The Celtics being able to run a two man game with Holliday and Porzingis late in the 4th in a tight game with Tatum, Brown and White on the court is such a luxury. The past few seasons when teams clamped down on Tatum and Brown in late game moments we have too many ugly memories of Smart forcing desperation threes or driving into the defense and losing the ball.

That was nice, KP ended up with Schroeder guarding him in the paint and resulted in an easy 2 points. What a luxury.

« Reply #169 on: November 18, 2023, 01:23:19 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
https://youtu.be/8V3kMWlRJ44?si=0askh1SmAzJ5jM1D

This is a great interview with KP and JB. I was surprised to learn  that Jabari Parker was close to JB. Also at the latter part of the interview, it seemed like KP was a little uneasy as JB was throwing praises at Marcus Smart. Still, I look forward to seeing more from this duo, they seem to have developed a good bond in and out of the court.

« Reply #170 on: November 18, 2023, 01:51:35 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Missed the game...looks like he tweaked his groin  >:(
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #171 on: November 18, 2023, 01:53:08 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Based on interviews, it seems that the players like the idea though? It makes them have “something to play for” early in the season. I personally don’t like the idea but whatever. It’s the courts that I really really don’t like, moreso now because JB injured himself.

Winning share to each player $500k.  Not too shabby for our bench players.

For a player making vet min that's a pretty decent chunk. And for the coaches, I'm sure that's more than some of them are making for the whole season.

I personally don't mind it but I've seen it a lot following European soccer. They have multiple mid season cup tourneys like the FA Cup, Carabao Cup, Copa del Rey, etc.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #172 on: November 18, 2023, 12:42:24 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540

Missed the game...looks like he tweaked his groin  >:(
It appears that way. He slipped a couple of times.

« Reply #173 on: November 18, 2023, 12:45:03 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
Interesting game to attend. Some green, good amount schizophrenic Raptors colors but mostly just ppl in their everyday clothes.

Celtics sleep walking 1st qtr but the 3 quick Siakam fouls drained life from Raptors. A steadyb diet of more talent and the bench w Splash Hauser has Celtics comfortably ahead. Raptors fans just happy to not being completely blown out, quiet little field mice. From the balcony we could hear all the shoe squeaks, some emphatic JB clapping. Some dude jumped a few rows down onto the tent of the player exit tunnel caused a bit of curfufel.

2nd half early barrage of 3s gets the Raptors in the game and the fans finnaly wake up. Some even start friendly chirping at us Celtics fans. Tatum can't seem to wake up, Porzingis struggled to take advantage of his size till the end. Back and forth made it much more fun, Raptors fans had life. White seals the deal, as he does. Raptors fans just happy it was competitive, me too honestly but glad we won, I woilda hated to be a jinx.

Wandered around a bit w my son afterwards, headed to the lower sections. Forayed into VIP land a bit. Saw Queta putting in work for almost an hour after the game. I shouted out to Scal doing his post game, he looked up and gave me a bit of a scowl.
What was the 'viewing experience' like? It's really hard to watch these games on TV with that court design. Was it an issue actually being there?

« Reply #174 on: November 18, 2023, 12:45:05 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!
They really should file some sort of complaint or even sue someone for this.  And it's not just Jaylen, even Raptors players after the game agreed that the court was very unsafe.

While it does suck Jaylen does probably have to miss some time, it's better now than say in March or April
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #175 on: November 18, 2023, 12:49:09 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
Comment on the game itself, the C's didn't play particularly well, especially Porzingis. But they did play well enough to grind out the game. Scal pointed out a key call by Joe late in the game calling for, I believe it was, a pick and roll with Holiday and Porzingis that they executed perfectly.

The C's defense was good and the bench stepped up when it needed to. White was very good as well. Overall a really good win on the road, all things considered on a night when Tatum and Porzingis were cold. Jaylen tweaking his groin being the negative.

« Reply #176 on: November 18, 2023, 05:51:44 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
Comment on the game itself, the C's didn't play particularly well, especially Porzingis. But they did play well enough to grind out the game. Scal pointed out a key call by Joe late in the game calling for, I believe it was, a pick and roll with Holiday and Porzingis that they executed perfectly.

The C's defense was good and the bench stepped up when it needed to. White was very good as well. Overall a really good win on the road, all things considered on a night when Tatum and Porzingis were cold. Jaylen tweaking his groin being the negative.

Agree. Add this game to the list of coaching wins.