Author Topic: Simmons patella subluxation/Playoff implications  (Read 2404 times)

Simmons patella subluxation/Playoff implications
« on: August 06, 2020, 05:27:18 PM »

Online libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29608271/76ers-ben-simmons-partially-dislocated-kneecap

I'm no doctor, but by googling, he "might" be out for a bit.  If he is, we REALLY need to hang on to that 3rd sport to get Philly and then avoid Milwaukee.  But, Toronto is looking tough as well.

Re: Simmons patella subluxation/Playoff implications
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 07:20:34 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
I hate to sound like a jerk with no feelings for a human being but...

It might be better that he does play and is limited bc of it. Might be better to have an ineffective Simmons then having a player plugged in his place that mesh’s better with Emblid...a non-lane clogging shooter, if that even exists on Philly roster, idk.

My point is sometimes a “superstar” playing hurt is detrimental to a team instead of rolling with the Ewing effect potential.

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 07:20:37 PM »

Online libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
Now I realize that Indy is no lock for the 5th spot.  They have a substantially harder schedule than Philly from here on out.  Hmm.  What to root for ...

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 07:42:49 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

It might be better that he does play and is limited bc of it. Might be better to have an ineffective Simmons then having a player plugged in his place that mesh’s better with Emblid...a non-lane clogging shooter, if that even exists on Philly roster, idk.

My point is sometimes a “superstar” playing hurt is detrimental to a team instead of rolling with the Ewing effect potential.
The issue with Simmons is that he's their best defender IMO. Don't think they can replace that
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 09:09:08 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

The issue with Simmons is that he's their best defender IMO. Don't think they can replace that

Yeah he is one of their most talented players both on off and def.  I can't see any way that him being injured doesn't really hurt Philly's chances of advancing in the playoffs.  It hurts their overall depth as well.

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 10:10:12 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Now I realize that Indy is no lock for the 5th spot.  They have a substantially harder schedule than Philly from here on out.  Hmm.  What to root for ...

Celtics are also not safe for the 3rd spot with Miami on their tails....and the Celtics can lose to any team at any time.

Edit: Just saw Miami lost to Milwaukee. Looks like we may very well hang on to the 3 seed. Maybe the 76ers are a perfect matchup for the C's after all.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 12:07:26 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Yeah he is one of their most talented players both on off and def.  I can't see any way that him being injured doesn't really hurt Philly's chances of advancing in the playoffs.  It hurts their overall depth as well.
Yeah, they'll either have to start Horford or Thybulle, or maybe Korkmaz if they want shooting. Completely changes them on both ends. I doubt Horford gets the nod because he does not fit alongside Embiid at all.

Probably Thybulle I guess. Defensive versatility, and is decent enough at hitting open threes. Their team is going to play verrrry differently.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 12:59:05 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Yeah, they'll either have to start Horford or Thybulle, or maybe Korkmaz if they want shooting. Completely changes them on both ends. I doubt Horford gets the nod because he does not fit alongside Embiid at all.

Probably Thybulle I guess. Defensive versatility, and is decent enough at hitting open threes. Their team is going to play verrrry differently.
I'm not sure that it is a straightforward as Horford and Embiid don't fit together.  I was going to suggest that it was more Simmons, Horford and Embiid not fitting well together:

2 man lineup                                     GP     W     L      Min   ORtg  DRtg    Net
.A. Horford, .J. Embiid                   42   26   16   575   102.2  102.2  0.0   

3 man lineup                                     GP     W     L      Min   ORtg  DRtg    Net
.A. Horford, .J. Embiid, .B. Simmons   34   20   14   432   98.7    99.5      -0.8

but even that may not be straightforward as the following has been an effective 5 man lineup.

.A. Horford, .T. Harris, .J. Embiid,    23   13   10   246   105.4 96.9    8.4
.J. Richardson, .B. Simmons   

Losing Simmons will hurt their transition offense and depth but those matters less in the playoffs.  Losing Simmons will hurt their defense but how much will depend on who they are facing.  On the other hand, losing Simmons may well help their half court offense. 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 01:20:41 AM by tazzmaniac »