Poll

Guess: Who Is Lebron Playing For After This Season?

Cleveland Cavaliers (He Stays)
33 (30.6%)
Houston Rockets
13 (12%)
Los Angeles Clippers
3 (2.8%)
Los Angeles Lakers
32 (29.6%)
New York Knicks
4 (3.7%)
Boston Celtics (Hey... Who Knows)
4 (3.7%)
Philadelphia 76ers
9 (8.3%)
Milwaukee Bucks
1 (0.9%)
San Antonio Spurs
6 (5.6%)
Other Team (Comment Below!)
3 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 108

Author Topic: Are We Doomed If Lebron Joins The Philadelphia 76ers Next Summer?  (Read 49663 times)

Re: Are We Doomed If Lebron Joins The Philadelphia 76ers Next Summer?
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 09:09:16 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Do you think Lebron and Simmons can coexist? I don't think so. Both needs ball in their hands to be effective. Unless Lebron finally realize he needs to defer to younger guys, he's a poor fit for the team.
While I agree with this to an extent, its not that they can't coexist, it's just that they wouldn't get the best use of their skills on the floor together.  If Lebron could dominate along with some trash lineups I've seen him on the floor with, then I think he can still dominate with Simmons, Embiid, Covington, Redick, Fultz, etc.

What would worry me as a celtics fan is not their offense (I do think they'd have have issues with fit) but is their defense.  Covington/Lebron/Simmons at the 2-4 with Embiid at the 5 and anybody competent at the 1 is a defense good enough to be #1 in the league.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 09:10:14 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Welcome to the LBJ to Philly band wagon. I was getting lonely
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2017, 09:17:58 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
The question really is about whether Lebron James is going to care mostly about basketball at the end of his career, or continuing to build his financial empire.

Going to Philly gives him a chance to win another few championships. Obviously this makes it really hard to win in the East. 

Going to LA gives him a chance to becoming a billionaire (or a multi-billionaire).

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2017, 09:18:17 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Makes sense for Lebron to stay in the East.

But I wouldn’t be happy about it if I were Simmons. He’ll have something to say about it.

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2017, 09:25:03 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Welcome to the LBJ to Philly band wagon. I was getting lonely

I have always been under the assumption that Lakers have no shot and leant towards him going to Rockets but I think 76ers makes a lot of sense.

1. He has young talented guys to lean on
2. He has Simmons to play power forward (which he hates to play)
3. He has Covington to do the defensive dirty work.
4. He can stay in the East and be competitive for the foreseeable future.
5. He and Simmons are close and are represented by the same agent.
6. Simmons is sort of heir apparent, he can use the excuse of wanting to mentoring him.

The only problem I see is that, similar to the problem with Love, Embiid and Simmons occupy the same spaces in the post and top of the key that Lebron does so it makes 2 of the 3 some what redundant at times.

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2017, 10:18:48 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Sixers aren't going anywhere with or without LBJ, but if Warriors and Cavs both didn't win the final i can see him join Curry and KD to form big 5

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2017, 10:37:55 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
I may be the minority but I believe whoever gives LeBron a max contract (he'll want one eventually) is going to really regret it. Based on historical data, after 2 more years he's a vet minimum type player (like where Wade is at now). He has too much mileage and his game relies too much on athleticism (he's no ray Allen, for example).

Someone is about ready to pay full price for a Ferrari with 150k miles.

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2017, 10:42:58 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I may be the minority but I believe whoever gives LeBron a max contract (he'll want one eventually) is going to really regret it. Based on historical data, after 2 more years he's a vet minimum player. He has too much mileage and his game relies too much on athleticism (he's no ray Allen, for example)

Nah, he won't fall that far.  He does rely on his athleticism to attack the basket, but he still has a lot of facets of his game that are built on skill or non-eroding talent - court vision, handle, post game.  Also, he's shooting 39% from three this year - not exactly a liability.

He may have two more years of being arguably the best player on the planet, but I expect him to have a few more years of way above average ball in him after that. 

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2017, 10:45:58 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
I may be the minority but I believe whoever gives LeBron a max contract (he'll want one eventually) is going to really regret it. Based on historical data, after 2 more years he's a vet minimum player. He has too much mileage and his game relies too much on athleticism (he's no ray Allen, for example)

Nah, he won't fall that far.  He does rely on his athleticism to attack the basket, but he still has a lot of facets of his game that are built on skill or non-eroding talent - court vision, handle, post game.  Also, he's shooting 39% from three this year - not exactly a liability.

He may have two more years of being arguably the best player on the planet, but I expect him to have a few more years of way above average ball in him after that.

Let's be honest no one is paying a max contract for LeBron to shoot 3s. If he can't attack the basket anymore he's not going to draw doubles for the dishes. Other than driving to th basket, he's just an average player currently. In 2 more years even worse. I wouldn't give him a max on the Celtics. I'd give him a 1 year + 1.

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2017, 10:52:03 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
I may be the minority but I believe whoever gives LeBron a max contract (he'll want one eventually) is going to really regret it. Based on historical data, after 2 more years he's a vet minimum type player (like where Wade is at now). He has too much mileage and his game relies too much on athleticism (he's no ray Allen, for example).

Someone is about ready to pay full price for a Ferrari with 150k miles.

I'm not sure of that, you can't compare players today to past drop offs, sheerly on advancement of sports science. Look at Tom Brady, he is running faster and throwing further than 5 years ago, you need to be an extremely disciplined individual and have money behind you but they are capable of amazing things these days. Lebron spends 1.5 million dollars on his own sports science and this isn't including Cavs facilities and staff, it is no coincidence that he is never injured and is continuing to improve even as he ages. Jordan barely was injured or dropped off physically in 90's-00's and he wouldn't have done half the stuff that James does, Jordan for example use to eat steak and potatoes before games and now elite athlete would hardly touch either.

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2017, 11:04:24 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Nope.

The Boston Celtics team that I saw last night against GSW can beat ANY team.

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2017, 11:04:26 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
This thread title is embarrassing to me as a Celtics Fan on this board honestly. I feel like we are letting 76ers fans troll us on our own board. I think I like and enjoy Simmons, embiid and Covington more than the casual basketball fan. I think they have a really great future and will be a big threat in the next 5 years. Given all that is absolutely insane to me that we have the over the tap fans on this board (I guess of philly) going nuts when philly beats a clippers team with 9 active players down 3 starters and doesn't even comment on a 10-5 Minnesota team that added jimmy butler. Now we somehow have Lebron joining a team with teammates 10-15 years younger than him, with a franchise player that is extremely ball dominant? It's embarrassing. Let's stop this now

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2017, 11:31:53 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Completely agree. You have to respect his drive and commitment. Beyond his gifts, the man works as hard as anyone, and he's smart about it; he keeps picking up new wrinkles to his game. The game he went nuclear on the wizards earlier this year, most of his buckets were postups. That wasn't in his game, or it was barely in his game, 5-10 years ago. His timing, body control, and passing are really elite. He's going to keep figuring out what he can do with his old-man strength, long-range shooting and knowledge of the game., and assuming he's healthy he'll stay very good for a long while.

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2017, 01:10:59 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
He gets a lot of praise about his conditioning too. Any team he's with will be a challenge to anyone in the league.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2017, 01:31:27 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Embiid up to now has been fragile.  Simmons is not a winner.   Fultz looks to be a dud.  LeBron is a mess right now.  Why not add one more loser to the fold?

you have to respect his drive and commitment.

Getting to the finals and losing because that is a drive I see most of the time.

Beyond his gifts, the man works as hard as anyone, and he's smart about it; he keeps picking up new wrinkles to his game. The game he went nuclear on the wizards earlier this year, most of his buckets were postups. That wasn't in his game, or it was barely in his game, 5-10 years ago.

He has a better supporting cast than he had when he came into the league but he is no longer carrying the team the way he used to do so in terms of the Cavs.   He is not a leader.   Sabotages most of the coaches he has ever had.  That being said he is still a great player.

His timing, body control, and passing are really elite. He's going to keep figuring out what he can do with his old-man strength, long-range shooting and knowledge of the game

Definitely an elite player.  I don't think he will age nearly as well as you do.  We are already seeing signs of some athletic fading.   He won't take it well because he has never handled adversity well.