Author Topic: Can we all agree that two of our most significant advantages...  (Read 3700 times)

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
...are defense and rebounding?

(some of you might see where I'm going with this)

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

Re: Can we all agree that two of our most significant advantages...
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 04:07:43 PM »

Offline CelticsPrideKG

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
The hating on Garnett by Celtics fans on here and on the radio when I stream the stations from Boston is appalling.

Talk about lack of appreciation.

This year has been the ultimate proof to basketball fans that in order to win(even in the NBA) you have to have a complete TEAM.  One superstar by himself has never been enough to carry a team to a championship and often results in failure to even make the playoffs.  We should all be thankful that the pieces to this puzzle have fit together so nicely in year 1 and be thankful for every guy on the squad.

This team will win the championship as a team or lose the championship as a team, blaming a single player or players is irrational and goes against everything that was good about this season.

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 04:10:46 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Yea, its completely overblown.

espically on the radio, but thats just band wagoners. this call was on WEEI today.

"You know, i've been following the celtics all year, but we need to stop starting this rondo kid, that experiment didn't work out at all. we need to start sam cassell again."

I hate the high number of band wagoners in this town, but what are you going to do you know? sure they get the same thing in every major sports city.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 04:13:29 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
When the Celtics have Perkins to play next to KG, the inside game is easily the biggest advantage.  It leads to better rebounding and defense. 

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 04:14:03 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
I can't quite tell if you guys read between the lines correctly, or if you took it exactly opposite of my intention...

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 04:14:43 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

Is that still true without Perkins? Is Perk going to play, I haven't read anything.

Defense will still be a huge advantage. Not sure about rebounding.

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 04:15:25 PM »

Offline CelticsPrideKG

• Derrick White
I can't quite tell if you guys read between the lines correctly, or if you took it exactly opposite of my intention...

Is your point that Kevin Garnett is our most important player even if he hasn't been MVP of this series?

If that is your point then I agree with you.

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 04:17:05 PM »

Offline silvershamrocker

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Believe In The Sleeve

I get it!

Defense wins championships.

Or, offense sells tickets (no pun intended), defense wins games, and rebounding wins championships.

"It will be fun watching the Lakers get those balloons down one at a time." - Bill Russell

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 04:17:47 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Perk said he's going to give it a go.  Even if he can only play a few minutes, Willis Reed style, just the fact that he can start the game will be a help.  Now Doc can call on a Powe or a BBD off the bench and the guy won't be freaked out. 

From what I know about Perk's character, if he can move the arm at all, and he's helping his team out there, he will deal with the pain and play. 

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 04:19:50 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.

Is your point that Kevin Garnett is our most important player even if he hasn't been MVP of this series?

Well, not sure if I'd say MOST important player, at least in this series.  But yes, it was along those lines.  KG has been by far our best rebounder in this series, and was limiting Pau/Odom very very well until he was saddled with foul trouble and a thin bench last game.

As poor as he's shooting, he is the main contributor to two of the big factors in the Celtics lead.

I know Perk was dearly missed, but he has averaged 17 MPG in the 3 Celtics wins, to KG's 40.  He could not shoot the ball once and still make a big contribution to a win.

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 04:21:31 PM »

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
KG will come through tonight in every aspect of the game...
Now, on to 18...

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 04:21:49 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.

Is that still true without Perkins? Is Perk going to play, I haven't read anything.

Defense will still be a huge advantage. Not sure about rebounding.

Not necessarily, but it would also be far from true without KG.  It was just something to think about for the people ripping KG.  Criticizing his play is one thing, implying that this team is better off without him is a whole 'nother.

And as mentioned, Perk is going to try and play tonight.

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 04:23:53 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
KG will come through tonight in every aspect of the game...

I've been saying that for 4 games now... so I'll just let it happen.  I don't even need all aspects to be there.  Solid rebounding, solid defense, solid facilitating, and keep setting those picks for Pierce.  That should be more than enough.  Oh.... and stay on the court, please.

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 04:24:24 PM »

Offline CelticsPrideKG

• Derrick White

Well, not sure if I'd say MOST important player, at least in this series.  But yes, it was along those lines.  KG has been by far our best rebounder in this series, and was limiting Pau/Odom very very well until he was saddled with foul trouble and a thin bench last game.

As poor as he's shooting, he is the main contributor to two of the big factors in the Celtics lead.

I know Perk was dearly missed, but he has averaged 17 MPG in the 3 Celtics wins, to KG's 40.  He could not shoot the ball once and still make a big contribution to a win.

I meant overall to the teams success, not necessarily in a series where Paul (and Ray) have gone off like they have. However, those offensive explosions wouldn't have meant anything without the defense being played on Pau and Odom to this point.  (Let's hope we get a constant defensive effort by the entire team this game - no more 20 point leads for the Lakers).

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 04:58:36 PM »

Offline seccom

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3

I don't know about defense, but it is not true for rebounding, at least not after game 1:

Game 1: C 10-36 (46), L 7-26 (33)
Game 2: C 10-27 (37), L 11-25 (36)
Game 3: C 14-31 (45), L 9-35 (44)
Game 4: C 6-34 (40), L 10-31 (41)
Game 5: C 11-26 (37), L 10-30 (40)