Author Topic: To Become the Champs, We Need to Beat the Champs  (Read 5292 times)

To Become the Champs, We Need to Beat the Champs
« on: May 01, 2022, 02:58:14 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
We’re playing like the 2021 Celtics. This Bucks team is not going to give up their title without a fight. We need to take it. Let’s return to being the 2022 Celtics in the 4th!

Re: To Become the Champs, We Need to Beat the Champs
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 01:19:46 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
I’m not sure Giannis could have a better game and I’m not sure JT/JB could have a worse game. We’ll bounce back and even it up. But we need to win a game in Milwaukee now. We can do this. We’re the better team even if they have the best player.

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 01:33:14 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
If the Celtics can’t beat the Milwaukee Bucks without Middleton and home court advantage, they don’t deserve to win the title.

The Celtics are probably the worst matchup for the Bucks, with Robert Williams, Tatum & Brown to throw at Giannis and Smart being the perfect equalizer for Jrue Holiday.

It’s hopefully going to be a long series but there can’t be any excuses.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2022, 05:42:34 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’m not sure Giannis could have a better game…

He scored 24 points on 36% shooting, and had five turnovers. He will have better games.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2022, 07:02:26 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I’m not sure Giannis could have a better game and I’m not sure JT/JB could have a worse game. We’ll bounce back and even it up. But we need to win a game in Milwaukee now. We can do this. We’re the better team even if they have the best player.

Tatum will have better games, I wouldn’t hold my breath with Brown though
Greg

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2022, 07:03:57 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Tatum will have better games, I wouldn’t hold my breath with Brown though

The law of averages says he has to be better than he was in Game 1, right?  I can excuse dudes for poor shooting nights, but his head just didn't seem like it was in the game.  Too casual with his handle, not looking for passes, etc.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2022, 07:08:33 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395

Um… what?
- LilRip

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2022, 07:15:41 AM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119

He scored 24 points on 36% shooting, and had five turnovers. He will have better games.

Better scoring games. He killed us with his passing out of weak doubles.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2022, 08:50:11 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550

and he will continue to do so.  Giannis is BY FAR the best player in the world.  No one is even close to him. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2022, 08:57:41 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

and he will continue to do so.  Giannis is BY FAR the best player in the world.  No one is even close to him.

Yeah, it's the difference between running into a former MVP (Durant), as opposed to a two-time MVP in his prime who could realistically win the award every season.

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2022, 09:07:42 AM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31

Yeah, it's the difference between running into a former MVP (Durant), as opposed to a two-time MVP in his prime who could realistically win the award every season.

Not to mention that Holiday is mentally tough and will bring it defensively every night, regardless of his shooting (which also happened to be on fire yesterday).  This is a much tougher lineup for us.  Other than Lopez, the bigs on Milwaukee are mobile in addition to being able to shoot.  The wings have size and can shoot.  The guards are big and can shoot.  They all play defense too.

The Nets could not defend and were mentally weak.  The defense that Milwaukee brings requires us to be much more precise with the ball.  The turnovers are leading to easy baskets for Milwaukee and not allowing us to get out in transition.  If we don't have a transition game this series, we are done.

We can talk about Tatum and Brown having bad shooting nights, but their offense gets going when the Celtics get stops and turnovers that allow them to get out in transition or hunt mismatches, while the defense is in disarray.  I hope Udoka has a game plan to get this going.  I am no coach, but I think double-teaming Giannis in the paint is not the way to go.  They need to be smarter with the double teams.  Send a second defender if and when he is dancing around the perimeter.  Otherwise, stay home on the shooters.

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2022, 09:23:39 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Defense was fine for the most part. Have to more effective going at the basket. Get Marcus and Timelord in sync and things will open up, give Brown and Tatum more room to operate.

Brown really wasn't in the game at all. Even on "good" defensive plays he was out of position when Grant or Marcus made the good defensive play. Not sure if the hamstring is in his head or what. He's always tended to have drift games. We need him to be a threat. I think he will be. He showed a lot of resilience in 2018 against the Bucks before getting hurt. He'll do it again.

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2022, 09:55:43 AM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119

Sure but the weak doubles don’t help. We can’t be lackadaisical about it. He’s a great passer out of double teams and we left too many shooters too open. That can clean up a lot.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2022, 10:25:30 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
was expecting a Ric Flair meme with this thread title

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2022, 10:47:19 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550

Sure but the weak doubles don’t help. We can’t be lackadaisical about it. He’s a great passer out of double teams and we left too many shooters too open. That can clean up a lot.
strong doubles won't do much more though.  That is the problem with Giannis.  He is just so good.  I still think Boston can win this series, but they are in a hole losing game 1.  Boston has to win game 2 or the series is over.  It is a massive game.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip