Author Topic: What do you give TPs for?  (Read 35220 times)

Re: What do you give TPs for?
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2009, 12:03:31 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

There's another secret to TP's as well, and it's like love or any other kind of reward: you get back what you give ... you get back what you put in ... in other words, if you want to get a lot of TP's, then give them out like crazy ... you never know whose day you may brighten up with that tiny gesture of appreciation. ;)

So if it is your desire or objective to get a ton of Tommy Points, regardless of whether you deserve them, just give out a ton and people will give them back to you!?! Make it public and they will give you even more!?!

Is that what you are saying Bahku? Because for me and I think for the man who invented the Tommy Point, getting and giving a Tommy Point is a badge of merit for having done something extra...having done something special...having earned the right to garner a Tommy Point.

Tommy Heinsohn doesn't give out Tommy Points to make people's lives shinier or brighter. He gives them because that person went above and beyond what was expected and earned one. Are you really honoring the spirit of a Tommy Point if you give them out all over the place for nothing?

Sorry guy, I gotta disagree with you on this one. You want a ton of Tommy Points earn them. Work for them. Write insightful posts, humorous posts, informative posts. Star interesting polls and threads and create fun, thoughtful discussion. Help others. Make them laugh and pause to think and teach them.  Participate in all aspects of the site and be a positive reflection of what it is to have gotten a Tommy Point like you earned it from Tommy Heinsohn himself.

To me that's why I give Tommy Points and those are the only reasons people give them to me.

Thanks, man ... you just totally threw my post in the toilet, and I take strong exception to it. I can't believe that's what you took away from what I said! I'm saying that I'm easier to give them out than most because it's a small thing to do to brighten someone's day. I NEVER said I give them out just to get them back! I don't give them to ANYONE unless they've done something to deserve it or we've won a close game or lost a game and I want those on the thread to have something positive to get from it.

Man, what you insinuate here is just horrible, and I would never accuse anyone of that openly, even if I was THINKING it. You honestly think I give out TP's just to get them back?!? That's a low thing to accuse someone of, and way below what I expected from you, Nick. Please do NOT tell me how to pass out TP's or even earn them ... that's my right as a poster here, and if I want to give them because someone is feeling down, I WILL. But I have NEVER given them out blindly just to receive them, and I never WOULD!

I don't know what I've done to precipitate that kind of crap, but if you have an issue with me, then just PM me and I'll discuss it ... don't insult me to this degree, because I have ALWAYS respected you and treated you with decency and kindness, whether I agreed with you on everything or NOT. Wow ... I am stunned ... truly. What a day.
You can take what I said as being insulting but I am not the person who said this:

There's another secret to TP's as well, and it's like love or any other kind of reward: you get back what you give ... you get back what you put in ... in other words, if you want to get a lot of TP's, then give them out like crazy ...

I am sorry if I interpreted this as being an admission of being a short cut to obtaining Tommy Points, because, it sure sounds like it.

And for the record, I never told you how to give out Tommy Points or told you to stop giving out Tommy Points the way you do. By all means, continue with the way you do it. Especially if, as you say, it is a desire of yours to get a ton of Tommy Points.

I was just stating that to me, giving and getting Tommy Points means something completely different, that's all. I just have a completely different way of looking at the Tommy Point not only in the way that Tommy Heinsohn uses it during games but also how to use them and what they mean here at Celticsblog. That's it.

I'm not being critical of you. I'm just saying that I completely disagree with your philosophy and distribution of Tommy Points. Is that so bad? I never said a critical word about you. I just didn't agree with your TP philosophy. There was nothing personal about that.

What you took away from my post was something negative, and you chose to interpret it that way and make an issue of it. I actually spent a larger part of the post explaining why I give out Tommy Points:

I'm pretty easy with TP's, too, like Kiorrik ... probably the easiest in the history of CB  ... for me it's a small thing to do, and a way of encouraging others, which there can never be too much of, in my opinion. You never know what that person has been through on any given day ... what kind of battle they've been fighting, and maybe that little insignificant TP is the sugar in their coffee, or the way to end their day with something positive, or the way to keep them coming back, and a way of saying : "Come on, keep talking ... we want you to be here."

... but you chose to ignore that, and highlight what you could interpret negatively. Well, that's your right, I guess, but don't try to tell me you weren't being critical, because there was no other reason for your reply other than criticism.

With the section that you surgically removed from the rest, I was trying to encourage others to be kind, and explain that there is a reward in kindness. Where did I say that I only give them out to get them back? That is very incorrect, and very negative ... if you had read the whole post and not just the part you chose to highlight, you would have known that.

And I never said it was my "desire to get a ton of TP's" ... again, that's how you chose to interpret it, and not at all what I said. I was saying that you get back what you give in this life, and giving something positive like Tommy Points has it's own reward. I was trying to encourage others to be giving, and TP's are a great way to do that. You have your own strict rules for giving out Tommy Points, and that's your entitlement ... but there is no definition or guidelines to giving them out, and if I want to do it to brighten someone's day, I will, and it matters not what someone else thinks about it.

I like to get TP's, as everyone does ... it's something that is encouraging and positive and tells you that others appreciate what you're doing, and anyone who says they DON'T like getting them, is not being quite honest. But far more than that, I like giving them out, because it encourages others to contribute, and may make someone's day a bit better.

That was the PRIMARY point of my post, to encourage others, but you chose to interpret it as my saying that my only desire is to get a ton of TP's, and that is not only wrong, but is very negative and critical. You could have highlighted the first part of my post, which explained in more detail why I give them out, but instead you took exception to the last part, and made that seem like my ONLY reason for giving TP's.

That's being selective for a reason, and the reason was to be critical and to paint me in a negative light ... because you don't agree with my definition of giving out Tommy Points. Did you highlight that I said I do it to encourage others ... to brighten their day and try to keep them coming back and contributing to CelticsBlog? Nope ... you just passed over that and took away that I only do it to get a "ton of TP's" ... that's what is wrong, and that's what I take exception to.

It's one thing to not agree with something I said, but it's quite another when you only take a PART of it, and make that the WHOLE motivation behind what I said ... especially when you're trying to make it look like I am doing it selfishly and only for my OWN reward. I am NOT a selfsih person, and I have always treated you and others here with respect, whether I agreed with you or not, and that's all I expect in return.

You chose to take a PART of what I said and make it the whole reason for my doing something ... if that's not being selectively critical, I don't know what is. Frankly, the powers that be can feel free to take my TP's away, (as they seem to be a rather emotional topic), and I'll be fine with it and will go about doing things the same way I always have.

It just saddens me that some people like to accentuate the negative, and that all you took away from my post was me being selfish.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 12:11:39 PM by Bahku »
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2009, 12:10:42 PM »

Kiorrik

I think he just misunderstood ya, Bahku.

Honestly, Nick doesn't seem like a negative-type-of-guy :)

Seriously, correct me if I'm wrong guys but in my eyes Nick thinks giving TP's to get TP's is wrong, which doesn't really apply to you Bahku, since you do it to be nice to people.

The other way around, it looks like Nick thinks you actually did it because you wanted TP's, and you seem to think Nick honestly doesn't like your style.

However, he's wrong about what your style is, and you're wrong about what he is judging :)

Seems like a simple misunderstanding to me :P

.edit: (and severely off topic) oh look, did I just go from Tony Allen to Ray Allen? Sound like a big upgrade ;)

« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2009, 12:26:27 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
I'm with Kiorrik and Bahku on this one. When I first came to the blog I was a TP stickler, but now I give them away like the Nets give away wins.

« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2009, 12:27:41 PM »

Kiorrik

I'm with Kiorrik and Bahku on this one. When I first came to the blog I was a TP stickler, but now I give them away like the Nets give away wins.
And that's easily a TP :P

Told you before, stop being funny darnit >_<

« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2009, 12:32:57 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Sometimes I make a bunch of threads and comments and I work on putting some fun, positive, and engaging stuff out there and I get like 2 TPs, but then I think maybe it's just cause of one edgy comment I made, and sometimes it gets in my head that I hope I'm getting TPs for the good stuff as much as the bad, but we'll never know and that's just my own issue to deal with. Sometimes I wonder if people give out TPs for work and insightfulness and whatnot as much as they do for all the "Laker suck" type stuff, cause it should go both ways at least somewhat
You make a good point. You're an excellent poster and I like your style. But I have to say I do think that giving TPs for saying something disparaging about the Lakers or most any Lakers personality or anyone the Celts are playing is extremely valid.

« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2009, 12:33:17 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE

And I laugh out loud everytime Kiorrik responds to my posts instantaneously by giving me TPs. (He is responsible for roughly half of my total) And because I laugh out loud, he always ends up getting a TP as well. It's a wonderful little cycle.

« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2009, 12:35:27 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE
Sometimes I make a bunch of threads and comments and I work on putting some fun, positive, and engaging stuff out there and I get like 2 TPs, but then I think maybe it's just cause of one edgy comment I made, and sometimes it gets in my head that I hope I'm getting TPs for the good stuff as much as the bad, but we'll never know and that's just my own issue to deal with. Sometimes I wonder if people give out TPs for work and insightfulness and whatnot as much as they do for all the "Laker suck" type stuff, cause it should go both ways at least somewhat
You make a good point. You're an excellent poster and I like your style. But I have to say I do think that giving TPs for saying something disparaging about the Lakers or most any Lakers personality or anyone the Celts are playing is extremely valid.

Valid points from both of you. Too bad only one TP can be given since you somehow have the same username???

« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2009, 12:36:42 PM »

Kiorrik

And I laugh out loud everytime Kiorrik responds to my posts instantaneously by giving me TPs. (He is responsible for roughly half of my total) And because I laugh out loud, he always ends up getting a TP as well. It's a wonderful little cycle.
See? And Bahku was right all along, TP's get you TP's.

You're still a horrible person btw, cracked me up again :P :')

« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2009, 12:37:47 PM »

Kiorrik

Valid points from both of you. Too bad only one TP can be given since you somehow have the same username???
What the hell, that's some VERY confusing stuff >_<

« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2009, 12:38:58 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Just give the tp to me. That other poster is just a wannabe who has no idea what he's talking about and is trying to cause confusion, and takes himself too seriously. I know there's a rule here about disparaging other posters, but I thought that needed to be said.

« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2009, 12:40:59 PM »

Kiorrik

Consider it done :')

« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2009, 12:52:44 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Just give the tp to me. That other poster is just a wannabe who has no idea what he's talking about and is trying to cause confusion, and takes himself too seriously. I know there's a rule here about disparaging other posters, but I thought that needed to be said.

You always keep me smiling, Eja ... one of the greats here always. And to Nick:

PEACE ... just call me selfish, I won't argue anymore ... it's not worth losing your friendship over. And to be completely obnoxious ... TP's for all!!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2009, 01:13:50 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE

You always keep me smiling, Eja ... one of the greats here always. And to Nick:

PEACE ... just call me selfish, I won't argue anymore ... it's not worth losing your friendship over. And to be completely obnoxious ... TP's for all!!

In keeping with the trend that giving TPs get you TPs... What do you think I just gave you Bahku?

A. Celtics Season Tickets
B. A Coke
C. Nothing

or

D. A Tommy Point

« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2009, 01:30:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I have no animosity here. Just a difference of opinion Bahku. I read everything else you wrote. I just disagree with it where Tommy Points are concerned. I'm being critical, I'm just looking at it in a different manner.

Look at it this way, let's say someone new to Celticsblog who's immature read your post and didn't know you from a hole in the wall. But he suddenly thinks that this whole getting Tommy Points thing is cool and he wants to get a ton. He might think...wow, this guy that has a ton of Tommy Points says the easiest way to get Tommy Points is to give them out and let everyone know that.

So he gives out Tommy Points like a dentist gives out toothbrushes and starts expecting Tommy Points in return. When he isn't getting them he might come out and start saying "hey I gave you a Tommy Point, why aren't you giving me one."

Do you eventually want this person saying "well this guy Bahku who has a ton of Tommy Points says it's the easiest way to get them is to give them so I thought you were suppose to give them back to me."?

Now, is that far fetched? Maybe. But it could happen and even in the best of messages just the wrong wording can bring out the worst of messages. How many politicians have had their words twisted by the opposite side because in the middle of a dialogue on a subject they say something that's .....off. The message gets lost because of the possible poor wording or way something was expressed.

Anyway, nothing that was said made me mad. I just have a different way of looking at things.

Also, I think Tommy Points in the larger view mean little when it comes to whether a person is a quality poster here or not. Example, I think the best, long time poster on this site, without a doubt, is Who. Who has the some of the best insights, knowledge, opinions and posts on this site and has for years. Yet after close to 8000 posts he has about 500 TP's. Why? probably because he doesn't give out Tommy Points or care about getting them. Never has. Never will. But he is, in my opinion, one of the 2-3 best posters on this site.

« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2009, 01:46:05 PM »

Kiorrik

Also, I think Tommy Points in the larger view mean little when it comes to whether a person is a quality poster here or not. Example, I think the best, long time poster on this site, without a doubt, is Who. Who has the some of the best insights, knowledge, opinions and posts on this site and has for years. Yet after close to 8000 posts he has about 500 TP's. Why? probably because he doesn't give out Tommy Points or care about getting them. Never has. Never will. But he is, in my opinion, one of the 2-3 best posters on this site.
Are you purposely not mentioning me? I mean, I am, by far the most utterly awesome poster on the board.

Hands down.

Seriously.

I feel hurt.