Author Topic: What do you give TPs for?  (Read 35218 times)

Re: What do you give TPs for?
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2009, 01:50:31 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Sometimes I make a bunch of threads and comments and I work on putting some fun, positive, and engaging stuff out there and I get like 2 TPs, but then I think maybe it's just cause of one edgy comment I made, and sometimes it gets in my head that I hope I'm getting TPs for the good stuff as much as the bad, but we'll never know and that's just my own issue to deal with. Sometimes I wonder if people give out TPs for work and insightfulness and whatnot as much as they do for all the "Laker suck" type stuff, cause it should go both ways at least somewhat

Don't worry about it, man.  TPs come in spurts, and it's hard to figure out why.  For instance, sometimes I'll get 50+ in one week.  Over the past two weeks, I've been averaging less than one per day.  There's really no explaining it.

Anyway, TP for your insights in the various threads you started, even though I disagree with you somewhat on the L. Blount stuff.  At least it's something to debate.

To be fair Hobbs, your game has been a little off the last few weeks. We have had private threads about this and it seems like you are sort of mailing it in. JK.

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2009, 01:54:44 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Sometimes I make a bunch of threads and comments and I work on putting some fun, positive, and engaging stuff out there and I get like 2 TPs, but then I think maybe it's just cause of one edgy comment I made, and sometimes it gets in my head that I hope I'm getting TPs for the good stuff as much as the bad, but we'll never know and that's just my own issue to deal with. Sometimes I wonder if people give out TPs for work and insightfulness and whatnot as much as they do for all the "Laker suck" type stuff, cause it should go both ways at least somewhat

Don't worry about it, man.  TPs come in spurts, and it's hard to figure out why.  For instance, sometimes I'll get 50+ in one week.  Over the past two weeks, I've been averaging less than one per day.  There's really no explaining it.

Anyway, TP for your insights in the various threads you started, even though I disagree with you somewhat on the L. Blount stuff.  At least it's something to debate.

To be fair Hobbs, your game has been a little off the last few weeks. We have had private threads about this and it seems like you are sort of mailing it in. JK.

private threads! Good one. TP

« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2009, 09:49:58 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
imo, the better the overall community "feel" of the blog, the more tp's are given.  when the community "feel" isnt strong, less are given out.

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2009, 05:16:00 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
imo, the better the overall community "feel" of the blog, the more tp's are given.  when the community "feel" isnt strong, less are given out.
I feel you.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2009, 05:25:04 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Believe it or not, I very often give TP's out to people who I have the biggest disagreements with ... I've found that it not only helps to encourage good discussion, (which is where I personally learn the most), but also lets others know that just because we disagree, doesn't mean we have to be enemies. The more heated the discussion, (for me), the more it forces me to think about the opposite view, and the more it makes me look inward.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2009, 05:36:34 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
Posts that make me legitimately laugh, and posts that either make a point very eloquently or take an interesting/unique stance on a subject.

I think too often TPs are only given out to people you agree with.  That's kind of the problem with discourse in general though, right?  It's hard to appreciate someone else's logic if the end result isn't the same as yours.

« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2009, 05:39:42 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I give them and receive them in bursts.

Sometimes I forget all about dishing out TPs for good, thoughtful posts.  Othertimes I don't (I try not to forget, but sometimes other things are on the mind).

Sometimes I feel a little miffed when I write a well thought-out post, or comment in a well-thought out way to an OP, and don't receive TPs.  But this isn't the norm, and it seems to balance out from the random TPs I get for inane comments like.... "Lakers Suck" (they really do).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2009, 09:45:00 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
I feel you.

yup.  currently the community feel isnt up to par, imo.  it has been lacking for over a month now.  i think a good indicator of this is reflected in community threads, mainly the tp and stars threads.

« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2009, 09:52:40 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I feel you.

yup.  currently the community feel isnt up to par, imo.  it has been lacking for over a month now.  i think a good indicator of this is reflected in community threads, mainly the tp and stars threads.

I don't see the community as being that bad here.  People are engaged in respectful conversation, there hasn't been a lot of bickering, etc.  To have very few arguments out of 3 million or so page views is pretty good.

Honestly, I think the reason we're seeing less activity in the TP and star threads is that people are bored with congratulating the same people over and over.  I mean, with myself, I understand if people don't want to congratulate me every two weeks for earning a new star.  I think it was inevitable, honestly.  Basically, TPs and stars have grown a bit stale for a lot of our membership.

I still think it's a big deal the first time somebody hits 100 TPs (or 1000), or gets their first star.  However, when people consider the difference between, say, 1100 and 1200 TPs, I just don't think most people care.

(I still enjoy the threads, and appreciate all the kudos I get.  I just don't necessarily equate "community" with the amount of congratulations people are sharing back and forth.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2009, 09:58:35 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
I feel you.

I don't see the community as being that bad here.  People are engaged in respectful conversation, there hasn't been a lot of bickering, etc.  To have very few arguments out of 3 million or so page views is pretty good.

Honestly, I think the reason we're seeing less activity in the TP and star threads is that people are bored with congratulating the same people over and over.  I mean, with myself, I understand if people don't want to congratulate me every two weeks for earning a new star.  I think it was inevitable, honestly.  Basically, TPs and stars have grown a bit stale for a lot of our membership.

I still think it's a big deal the first time somebody hits 100 TPs (or 1000), or gets their first star.  However, when people consider the difference between, say, 1100 and 1200 TPs, I just don't think most people care.

(I still enjoy the threads, and appreciate all the kudos I get.  I just don't necessarily equate "community" with the amount of congratulations people are sharing back and forth.)

i respectfully disagree.  i think members taking the time to recognize others' accomplishments (even if its only a cheesy novelty) reflects a positive community environment.  it demonstrates respect, caring, unselfishness, and overall put smiles on people's faces.  if you peruse those threads, u will see that many different posters were involved and contributed.  now it is a ghost town.

u had mentioned that the community "isnt that bad".  to me, that pretty much sums it up.  CB had a great community feel, but it has been lacking significantly.  the community isnt bad, but stating it "isnt that bad" exactly described what i was eluding to.  like i said, it hasnt been up to par.  just my opinion....not trying to cause drama or whine....just stating my observation/thoughts.

« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2009, 10:57:29 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
Speaking of giving TPs... If any mods feel courteous enough to check out the Total Bases Game thread... Rondo is owed 1 TP and I am owed 10. Not having Redz around has made giving TPs out very difficult over there I guess. It would be greatly appreciated!

« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2009, 11:03:31 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Speaking of giving TPs... If any mods feel courteous enough to check out the Total Bases Game thread... Rondo is owed 1 TP and I am owed 10. Not having Redz around has made giving TPs out very difficult over there I guess. It would be greatly appreciated!

Yours have been paid.
Saludos

e.r.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2009, 11:05:29 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE

Yours have been paid.
Saludos

e.r.

Thank you Edgar, I have given you a TP. If I had the power to give more, I would!

« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2009, 11:10:00 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Yours have been paid.
Saludos

e.r.

Oops.  Matt got double paid, since I didn't see your post. ;)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2009, 12:11:57 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Roy and Edgar, it seems you all need to come up with some sort of Power Rankings for Posters ala Hollinger (you know, since his are always so spot on).  ;)