Author Topic: How Kyrie Helped Danny and The Celtics  (Read 5237 times)

Re: How Kyrie Helped Danny and The Celtics
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2019, 07:47:03 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
It's funny how people on this board have changed.  I was anti Kyrie most of this year, and at times, was handed my butt on a couple of posts.  Low and behold, here we are.

I'll first have to admit, I thought we stole him from the Cavs and was psyched, but then I started really watching him and he quickly went out of favor in my books.

I hope he is gone from the C's for good and there are no back door negotiations going on!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2019, 09:32:44 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Danny almost souled his Soul this time. He sacrificed Character in the name of bring 18 to Boston.

It didn't work, and frankly I'm glad it didn't. This slap in the face with likely two stars leaving Boston has knocked Some sense back into Danny.

https://youtu.be/mvsexPtCC5k

Watch the press conference.

So to heck with Cry babies, people that don't want to listen to one of the smartest coaches in Basketball.
 Let's get as many Grant Williams as we can find. Romeo, Carsen Edwards and the LSU kid Danny speaks highly of as well.

If you watch the whole video they're is no question in my mind he's taking jabs at Irving.

Good job Danny. Let's have some fun and play Celtics basketball again with great kids. Resist the Dark side you must.
He will never admit it, but character was the MOST important factor in Danny's draft selections this year.  I am really fine with this.  All four rookies came off as high IQ and well-spoken (though Langford was rather quiet).

The Kyrie thing was driven by the opportunity to get a superstar, which doesn't happen very often.  It was worth it b/c he didn't give up a lot (IT, Crowder, etc) so KI walking is ok.

TP well said.

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2019, 09:57:45 AM »

Offline jade88

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 20
Character and leadership can be great things, but I'm not hung up on them.

I'd rather win titles with guys like Kyrie than talk about how nice of a kid Grant Williams is. I'm a bigger fan of winning than I am of any other aspect of sports. You win with Superstars, superstars have big egos.

That's my issue, if it doesn't puts wins in the books, i don't care. 1 title since 1986, I'm starving.

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2019, 10:00:37 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

To get back on track here.

That dude KI, reminded Danny and Brad that it's better to lose with dignity than win without integrity.

I mean... Kyrie didn't actually win anything...

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2019, 10:36:42 AM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I was all in on the Kyrie trade when it happened, and would still have made that trade today. I thought he was a great player during his two years in Boston. I am not buying all of this garbage coming out since their playoff exit, that is portraying Kyrie as a bad guy. The timing is far too convenient and is typical Boston media spin to attack a player that they know is leaving. Have the fans hate the player that is leaving and portray the team as the good guys.

Two seasons ago, the acquisition of Kyrie and Hayward, playing alongside Horford, should have been amazing. We had two leaders in the clubhouse in Kyrie and Hayward to share the load, and Al being the leader by example. But everything changed 5 minutes into the season when Hayward went down. The team did end up having a great season, led by Kyrie, Al, and a surprising rookie in Tatum. Then their unlikely playoff run happened without Kyrie and Hayward, which may have done more harm than good in the long run. Fast forward to this season, and players like Tatum, Brown, and Rozier believe they’re the guys the team should be led by, and not Kyrie and Hayward, because of that playoff run. The players lacked chemistry all season because of this seemingly constant internal battle for respect. Was this a big part of the equation in Kyrie wanting to leave? It doesn’t look like Danny has any desire to trade those young guys. Was a conversation had between Kyrie and Danny about this chemistry at the end of the season, and Kyrie said either some of them go or I go?

Speaking of chemistry issues, I’m very concerned about the relationship between Hayward, Brown, and Tatum next season. Do Brown and Tatum respect Hayward enough to allow him to be the leader of the team? I would prefer to see only two of them start, and have a more traditional PF, to help improve the rebounding. If he’s completely healthy, there is no reason why Hayward shouldn’t be starting on opening night. I don’t think Tatum is going anywhere, so does Danny and Brad hitch their wagon to Hayward or Brown? At the end of next season, Hayward has a player option and Brown will be a restricted free agent.

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2019, 10:44:10 AM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
My thing is THIS, though -

We HAD a Character Team here in BOS already...then nearly ALL of us rationalized it all away and traded an injured IT4.

The "Character" thing to do would've been to KEEP IT4....see him healthy - no matter what.

Let's just stop the character talk non sense.

We ALL tasted the sweet nectar of Superstardom....wanted to join the superstar Rat Race and now some of us want to throw Kyrie Irving under the bus because it blew up in our faces.

pffft.

I loved Isaiah on the Celtics, but Danny made the right call in trading him for Kyrie. Let's assume Danny never made that trade, would you have rather seen Danny resign Isaiah? All season long, Isaiah was constantly talking about getting paid and the Celtics backing up the Brink's truck. Isaiah was not going to resign with Boston for a penny less than the max that off season. It's bad enough the Celtics had Hayward on the roster, who missed his entire first season, and was a shell of himself in year two. Can you imagine adding another max player, who could barely play for the past two seasons in Isaiah too?

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2019, 10:48:35 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I'd rather win titles with guys like Kyrie than talk about how nice of a kid Grant Williams is. I'm a bigger fan of winning than I am of any other aspect of sports. You win with Superstars, superstars have big egos.

That's my issue, if it doesn't puts wins in the books, i don't care. 1 title since 1986, I'm starving.
The problem is Kyrie isn't a superstar.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2019, 11:10:23 AM »

Online No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I was all in on the Kyrie trade when it happened, and would still have made that trade today. I thought he was a great player during his two years in Boston. I am not buying all of this garbage coming out since their playoff exit, that is portraying Kyrie as a bad guy. The timing is far too convenient and is typical Boston media spin to attack a player that they know is leaving. Have the fans hate the player that is leaving and portray the team as the good guys.

Two seasons ago, the acquisition of Kyrie and Hayward, playing alongside Horford, should have been amazing. We had two leaders in the clubhouse in Kyrie and Hayward to share the load, and Al being the leader by example. But everything changed 5 minutes into the season when Hayward went down. The team did end up having a great season, led by Kyrie, Al, and a surprising rookie in Tatum. Then their unlikely playoff run happened without Kyrie and Hayward, which may have done more harm than good in the long run. Fast forward to this season, and players like Tatum, Brown, and Rozier believe they’re the guys the team should be led by, and not Kyrie and Hayward, because of that playoff run. The players lacked chemistry all season because of this seemingly constant internal battle for respect. Was this a big part of the equation in Kyrie wanting to leave? It doesn’t look like Danny has any desire to trade those young guys. Was a conversation had between Kyrie and Danny about this chemistry at the end of the season, and Kyrie said either some of them go or I go?

Speaking of chemistry issues, I’m very concerned about the relationship between Hayward, Brown, and Tatum next season. Do Brown and Tatum respect Hayward enough to allow him to be the leader of the team? I would prefer to see only two of them start, and have a more traditional PF, to help improve the rebounding. If he’s completely healthy, there is no reason why Hayward shouldn’t be starting on opening night. I don’t think Tatum is going anywhere, so does Danny and Brad hitch their wagon to Hayward or Brown? At the end of next season, Hayward has a player option and Brown will be a restricted free agent.

Great post and really cogent points. Hayward needs to recover enough to show the young guys why he was an All Star. Neither Brown nor Tatum is even close to that level yet.

And Brown should either play a 6th man of the year role, or they should trade him (if they feel that Hayward can recover a la Paul George). 

A Brown trade could bring back a really good point guard or big man. His stock is high. Trading Hayward now is a bad idea because he’s not at peak performance levels.

I’d hate to lose Brown, but if you could get a comparable talent around the same age at a position of need it’s a valid path to success.

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2019, 11:33:26 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

The problem is Kyrie isn't a superstar.
He proved he isn't a 1A superstar and maybe can't be the best player on a champ team.

Still he is a legitimate star entering his prime, best player on the team and proved he can be the second best player on a champ team

Give me Kyrie over Grant Williams every day and twice on Sunday

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2019, 11:39:20 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Danny almost souled his Soul this time. He sacrificed Character in the name of bring 18 to Boston.

It didn't work, and frankly I'm glad it didn't. This slap in the face with likely two stars leaving Boston has knocked Some sense back into Danny.

https://youtu.be/mvsexPtCC5k

Watch the press conference.

So to heck with Cry babies, people that don't want to listen to one of the smartest coaches in Basketball.
 Let's get as many Grant Williams as we can find. Romeo, Carsen Edwards and the LSU kid Danny speaks highly of as well.

If you watch the whole video they're is no question in my mind he's taking jabs at Irving.

Good job Danny. Let's have some fun and play Celtics basketball again with great kids. Resist the Dark side you must.
He will never admit it, but character was the MOST important factor in Danny's draft selections this year.  I am really fine with this.  All four rookies came off as high IQ and well-spoken (though Langford was rather quiet).

The Kyrie thing was driven by the opportunity to get a superstar, which doesn't happen very often.  It was worth it b/c he didn't give up a lot (IT, Crowder, etc) so KI walking is ok.
It's nice if the rookies are high character but high IQ and especially "well spoken" have absolutely nothing to do with high character.

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2019, 11:43:25 AM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91

You can have a big ego without ruining the entire chemistry of a team. Kyrie has now successfully done this on two different teams. Kyrie isn’t a superstar.

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2019, 11:44:44 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

These kids are high character though. Pay attention. Grant Williams is a one in a million type leader.

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2019, 11:44:54 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

Great post and really cogent points. Hayward needs to recover enough to show the young guys why he was an All Star. Neither Brown nor Tatum is even close to that level yet.

And Brown should either play a 6th man of the year role, or they should trade him (if they feel that Hayward can recover a la Paul George). 

A Brown trade could bring back a really good point guard or big man. His stock is high. Trading Hayward now is a bad idea because he’s not at peak performance levels.

I’d hate to lose Brown, but if you could get a comparable talent around the same age at a position of need it’s a valid path to success.
Right on Q, We all know Tatum will be fine, but Brown?

If he had a problem with Kyrie because his "role" shrinked, how is he going to treat other star player which will "shrink his role" again? He is just not a team player

If i'm Danny i will trade Brown the second i secure a good return, addition by subtraction