Poll

Who would you rather have for the next 2 years?

Player A
3 (13%)
Player B
0 (0%)
Player C
20 (87%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: May 11, 2019, 08:21:11 AM

Author Topic: Would You Rather Have?...  (Read 2074 times)

Re: Would You Rather Have?...
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2018, 12:08:39 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think you already know the reasons why this is stupid, so I won't articulate them.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2018, 12:12:44 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
This is a great illustration of why looking at stats alone does not give you the whole picture, especially limited stats from part of a season.

I thought we overpaid for Hayward at the time of the signing but you have to overpay to get the top players.  I am not the least bit surprised that Hayward has started slow.  He is recovering from a gruesome injury and trying to compete in the NBA against the best athletes in the world.

Seeing how well Paul George is doing is very encouraging to me.  George has continued to improve since his injury for more than 2 seasons.

He isn't one.

Except he was.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=per_game&per_minute_base=36&per_poss_base=100&season_start=1&season_end=-1&lg_id=NBA&age_min=0&age_max=99&is_playoffs=N&height_min=76&height_max=81&year_min=2017&year_max=2017&birth_country_is=Y&as_comp=gt&as_val=0&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&order_by=ws

2016-2017 Gordon was a top 5 wing player, behind only LeBron / KD / Kawhi / Butler (and younger than all of them except Kawhi).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2018, 12:16:22 PM »

Offline celtics4ever33

• NGT
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
The numbers for a player like Howard being bad is different from a player like Smart's numbers being bad.

Marcus Smart is arguably one of the worst skilled basketball players in his draft. Almost everybody is better at basketball.

The difference is that Smart is the perfect player for a team like the Celtics. One thing he also does well besides the obvious hard worker on defense is that he passes the ball very well. Almost better than anyone in his draft.

The key here is that when you say numbers dont mean anything, that is correct with Marcus, its evident his importance, we truly might never know what he really means, as the players that play along side him know best (some have stated they play better and are comfortable)......What we do know is if a guy like Hayward has stinky numbers , is that he is not worth it...given the investment and given what he is supposed to give the Celtics.

Smart is the guy thats going to do what he needs to do to help the team get wins. The haywards are supposed to be givens. If he's not what Ainge wanted to see , then he could have just saved the cash and given tatum the keys completely.

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2018, 12:19:02 PM »

Offline celtics4ever33

• NGT
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
This is a great illustration of why looking at stats alone does not give you the whole picture, especially limited stats from part of a season.

I thought we overpaid for Hayward at the time of the signing but you have to overpay to get the top players.  I am not the least bit surprised that Hayward has started slow.  He is recovering from a gruesome injury and trying to compete in the NBA against the best athletes in the world.

Seeing how well Paul George is doing is very encouraging to me.  George has continued to improve since his injury for more than 2 seasons.

He isn't one.

Except he was.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=per_game&per_minute_base=36&per_poss_base=100&season_start=1&season_end=-1&lg_id=NBA&age_min=0&age_max=99&is_playoffs=N&height_min=76&height_max=81&year_min=2017&year_max=2017&birth_country_is=Y&as_comp=gt&as_val=0&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&order_by=ws

2016-2017 Gordon was a top 5 wing player, behind only LeBron / KD / Kawhi / Butler (and younger than all of them except Kawhi).

Doesn't matter, it's a long drop off, and we all know he isnt better than Paul George.

Gordon Hayward didn't fool us on purpose, but his numbers def fooled some. Nothing impressive. His playoffs were a boost but when you look deeper even those numbers get tricky. He is an ok player. Never was going to be better than what he was in that year. Ray Allen was a monster and Hayward will never come close to being Ray Allen who was a 3rd option on this team.

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2018, 01:24:48 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

He isn't one.

Except he was.

Citing a stat that ranks Otto Porter as the 6th best wing in the NBA seems reasonable...

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2018, 01:59:26 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
Another trolling attempt from IDreamAboutHaywardDayAndNight  :laugh: it’s too bad the poll results didn’t go your way though  :angel:

I’m wondering if you’re really Jae Crowder...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 02:05:50 PM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2018, 02:13:58 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

He isn't one.

Except he was.

Doesn't matter, it's a long drop off, and we all know he isnt better than Paul George.

Gordon Hayward didn't fool us on purpose, but his numbers def fooled some. Nothing impressive. His playoffs were a boost but when you look deeper even those numbers get tricky. He is an ok player. Never was going to be better than what he was in that year. Ray Allen was a monster and Hayward will never come close to being Ray Allen who was a 3rd option on this team.

If George is/was better that still puts Hayward at 6th that year.  Wing is the most important position in the NBA, hence 3 of those top 4 wings owning a combined 6+ finals MVPs.  A top 6 wing in his mid-20s costs max money and there's no way around it. 

He was worth it at the time, likely won't be worth it this year, but we'll see about the next 2.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2018, 03:08:08 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
I think you already know the reasons why this is stupid, so I won't articulate them.

Respect each other at all times. Personal attacks are not permitted under any circumstances.  There is no need for name-calling or harassment of any poster. This includes behavior in all areas of Celticsblog, including forum posts, blog comments and personal messages. While we encourage lively debate there is no reason for anyone to disrespect a fellow poster's ideas.  Note: There is no distinction between personally attacking a poster (i.e., "You are stupid") and attacking a posters ideas (i.e., "Your idea is stupid"

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2018, 03:22:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Respect each other at all times. Personal attacks are not permitted under any circumstances.  There is no need for name-calling or harassment of any poster. This includes behavior in all areas of Celticsblog, including forum posts, blog comments and personal messages. While we encourage lively debate there is no reason for anyone to disrespect a fellow poster's ideas.  Note: There is no distinction between personally attacking a poster (i.e., "You are stupid") and attacking a posters ideas (i.e., "Your idea is stupid"

Your post is made in bad faith.

If you were offended by the word "stupid," I apologize.

Allow me to rephrase.

I believe your post is, on its face, a bad faith attempt to stir up a rancorous discussion by way of an assertion made with deliberate disregard for context.

I feel that responding to this as if it were made in good faith would only encourage such behavior in the future.

Therefore I decline to engage with your frivolous assertion, yet I feel it is important for the tenor of discussion in this community to lend my voice to the displeased response to your post
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 04:22:00 PM by PhoSita »
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2018, 03:27:52 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Your post is made in bad faith.

If you were offended by the word "stupid," I apologize.

Allow me to rephrase.

I believe your post is, on it's face, a bad faith attempt to stir up a rancorous discussion by way of an assertion made with deliberate disregard for context.

I feel that responding to this as if it were made in good faith would only encourage such behavior in the future.

Therefore I decline to engage with your frivolous assertion, yet I feel it is important for the tenor of discussion in this community to lend my voice to the displeased response to your post

Interesting take on a poll... :) I accept your apology.

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2018, 04:29:14 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Which moderator is saying this? Because one of our moderators is notorious for attacking ideas as stupid. Total hypocrisy here. Please respond. Message me if you want.

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2018, 04:31:55 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Which moderator is saying this? Because one of our moderators is notorious for attacking ideas as stupid. Total hypocrisy here. Please respond. Message me if you want.

I think he was just quoting the rules, but I could be wrong.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2018, 06:34:37 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

I think he was just quoting the rules, but I could be wrong.

If Moderator doesn’t comply with rules why should anyone else? BS.

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2018, 06:44:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club