Author Topic: Patriots Free Agency Thread  (Read 47267 times)

Re: Patriots Free Agency Thread
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2017, 04:08:14 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Good take on why Pats might be pursuing Cooks: http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/football/patriots/ryan-hannable/2017/03/08/making-sense-patriots-being-interested-addi

(Note, I still don't think it happens, I think the goal is partnering Butler with Gilmore).

I've read that Cooks is going to be moved today.

I wouldn't be surprised if Butler is traded. The Pats receiver core is long in the tooth.

I wouldn't call them long in the tooth. Edelman is 30, but Hogan is 28, Mitchell is 24, and Floyd is 27. Amendola's 31, but he's not a huge part of their offense.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2017, 04:14:39 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Good take on why Pats might be pursuing Cooks: http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/football/patriots/ryan-hannable/2017/03/08/making-sense-patriots-being-interested-addi

(Note, I still don't think it happens, I think the goal is partnering Butler with Gilmore).

I wouldn't be surprised if Butler is traded. The Pats receiver core is long in the tooth.

I wouldn't call them long in the tooth. Edelman is 30, but Hogan is 28, Mitchell is 24, and Floyd is 27. Amendola's 31, but he's not a huge part of their offense.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to get younger at the position.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2017, 04:22:26 PM »

• Satch Sanders

It certainly wouldn't hurt to get younger at the position.

Not at all.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2017, 05:37:38 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
1. WOW. Gilmore's deal is 5 Years, 65M (40M guaranteed). Highest guaranteed $$$ ever given by the Patriots to a single defensive player (McCourty previously held the record with 28.5M)

2. Pats re-sign Duron Harmon at a modest 4/20M. Great move!

3. So the Browns and Texans gave us all a laugh and made a trade with Osweiler involved. However, Browns got a pick out of that. So the purpose? Well, maybe Browns trade for Osweiler to get that pick, THEN trade Osweiler to some desperate team for another pick (or simply release him but still keep that 2nd round pick). The logic? Accumulate picks so that you can offer a ton of picks for JG10 still? Not out of the question it seems.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2017/3/9/14873742/did-the-browns-make-an-nba-style-trade-to-prepare-for-patriots-qb-jimmy-garoppolo

4. Pats and Hightower are having good discussions on an extension. I really hope they can reach one. His market seems to be 10-13M/Year. He definitely deserves it especially with Gilmore signed at that rate. Pats do have the cap space as well.

5. Looks like Brandin Cooks trade rumors have stalled for a bit but Saints also understandably aren't in a rush to trade him right now. Still exploring their options. Aka we still have Malcolm Butler for now!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 05:43:13 PM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2017, 05:54:01 PM »

• Satch Sanders
1. WOW. Gilmore's deal is 5 Years, 65M (40M guaranteed). Highest guaranteed $$$ ever given by the Patriots to a single defensive player (McCourty previously held the record with 28.5M)

3. So the Browns and Texans gave us all a laugh and made a trade with Osweiler involved. However, Browns got a pick out of that. So the purpose? Well, maybe Browns trade for Osweiler to get that pick, THEN trade Osweiler to some desperate team for another pick (or simply release him but still keep that 2nd round pick). The logic? Accumulate picks so that you can offer a ton of picks for JG10 still? Not out of the question it seems.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2017/3/9/14873742/did-the-browns-make-an-nba-style-trade-to-prepare-for-patriots-qb-jimmy-garoppolo

4. Pats and Hightower are having good discussions on an extension. I really hope they can reach one. His market seems to be 10-13M/Year. He definitely deserves it especially with Gilmore signed at that rate. Pats do have the cap space as well.

5. Looks like Brandin Cooks trade rumors have stalled for a bit but Saints also understandably aren't in a rush to trade him right now. Still exploring their options. Aka we still have Malcolm Butler for now!  ;D

TP for all the updates!

So far, so good for the Pats offseason.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2017, 06:00:55 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

TP for all the updates!

So far, so good for the Pats offseason.

I love what Schefter said on First Take today. He was surprised by all of the Patriots moves.

He said the Patriots were making moves like an aggressive team that had never won a SB before LOL.

BB seems to be going "win-now" mode now with TB12 having only 2-3 years left.

UPDATE: Mingo to the Colts on a 1 year/2.5 M deal.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 06:20:56 PM by Phantom255x »

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2017, 08:57:48 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I don't think he only has 2-3yrs left. I think he'll have the ability and body for 4-6 more years if he has the desire.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 09:36:31 PM by green_bballers13 »

« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2017, 12:25:36 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
As expected, Logan Ryan gone. To Tennessee for 3/30M.

Second big departure so far after Chris Long.

Really hope they keep Hightower. That's the most important thing right now.

Oh and working out something with Butler too (don't want him traded, and can you imagine a Gilmore-Butler CB pairing in the secondary).

« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2017, 04:04:20 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Pats just traded for Kony Ealy from the Panthers.

Pats 2nd rounder for Ealy + Carolina 3rd rounder.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2017, 04:07:28 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Pats just traded for Kony Ealy from the Panthers.

Pats 2nd rounder for Ealy + Carolina 3rd rounder.

So basically they traded down 8 spots to take a flyer on Ealy? Not bad. I don't know what Ealy will give them but worth the risk if that's all it costs.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2017, 04:23:20 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Now why do I get the impression Belichick the GM is the anti-Danny Ainge?

« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2017, 04:27:19 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Don't look now, but the Patriots are killing it this offseason.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2017, 04:29:24 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
As expected, Logan Ryan gone. To Tennessee for 3/30M.
To put this in perspective, Ryan signed for 10M per, and the Patriots got Gilmore for $13M per instead. I think the team made out pretty well.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2017, 04:48:30 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Floyd is not under contract, and given that he's going to spend a lot of time in jail and away from the team, it's unclear how this will pan out. Amendola just restructured, so he'll likely be around for a year or two.

I still think the plan is to either match Butler or have him play for the QO and then perhaps franchise him next season -- but I wouldn't be surprised if they choose to flip him for Cooks.

« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2017, 05:11:14 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Jabaal Sheard is gone to the Colts

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 5m5 minutes ago

Colts giving Jabaal Sheard a three-year deal for $25.5M, including $12.75M guaranteed, per source.