Author Topic: Is Dwight Howard's career redeemed?  (Read 2890 times)

Is Dwight Howard's career redeemed?
« on: October 12, 2020, 08:49:03 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
He finally got a chip

Re: Is Dwight Howard's career redeemed?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 08:50:16 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
By riding the coattails of LeBron and Davis.

These are all mercenaries lol. He was a nobody in Atlanta, Charlotte, and Washington

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 08:55:26 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Nope.  He’s still a guy who self-sabotaged his career.

Did Dion Waiters redeem his career?  What about Boogie, who will get a ring?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 09:13:52 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'd say he redeemed his career.

The team he departed from unceremoniously and with a lot of contentiousness took him back, gave him a second chance and he was an integral part of them winning.

God knows "WE" could've used this Dwight Howard.

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 09:31:31 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The ring didn't, but him accepting his role like he did, absolutely.  There wasn't a peep about him causing problems in the locker-room.  He came off the bench.  He started.  He played very few minutes.  He played a lot of minutes.  He played hard no matter the game situation.  His teammates seemed to like playing with him. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 11:43:08 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Not sure what exactly is meant by "redeemed," but I'll say this: For the first time in his career, he did the mature, professional thing in accepting his role and not making waves. Good for him. Just sucks that he did it for the Lakers.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2020, 12:14:04 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
No. Accepting the role of being a big thug has pretty much cemented him as a complete tossbag in my eyes
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2020, 01:14:13 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I like how he became a really good role player this season so I'll say yes, he probably has added a few more years to his career as a useful rotation centre. Wouldn't be too mad if we used the MLE on him to replace Kanter tbh.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2020, 02:34:06 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Not really. I mean his riding Lebron's jocks. You can be a waterboy and still win championship with Lebron and his handpicked superstar.

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2020, 08:41:15 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Good for him on accepting a lesser role w/o drama, but he certainly wasn't a major part of this Lakers team. He was 9th on the team in minutes played in these playoffs and didn't even play in three games.

It's a shame how it all went down for Howard in his career (self-inflicted), but I am not about to celebrate him because he eagerly jumped on the Lebron/AD bandwagon in order to score a free ring.

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2020, 09:33:36 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I do not understand this "redeemed" narrative that is being pushed nowadays.

Dwight did very little that was wrong in his career. Certainly nothing that required him to be "redeemed". It is not like he was Latrell Sprewell and choked his coach. Got kicked out of the league for a prolonged period and had to work his way back into good graces.

Dwight asked for a trade. Big deal. His team was run terribly and you could see that situation coming years in advance. That wasn't some horrible error. It was a fair and legitimate decision.

Dwight got hurt and he had problems adapting to new smaller roles caused by that decrease physical ability. That happens to many sports stars. It was not like everything went overnight. It was year to year he was losing more and more of his game. It was constant adjustments. And he was bad at it.

He was just human.

Not some incredible wrong-doing.

This whole "redeemed" narrative that the media has been pushing on sports stars has gotten out of control and is being used against people that do not warrant it.

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2020, 09:45:41 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Dwight did very little that was wrong in his career. Certainly nothing that required him to be "redeemed". It is not like he was Latrell Sprewell and choked his coach. Got kicked out of the league for a prolonged period and had to work his way back into good graces.

Dwight asked for a trade. Big deal. His team was run terribly and you could see that situation coming years in advance. That wasn't some horrible error. It was a fair and legitimate decision.

Dwight got hurt and he had problems adapting to new smaller roles caused by that decrease physical ability. That happens to many sports stars. It was not like everything went overnight. It was year to year he was losing more and more of his game. It was constant adjustments. And he was bad at it.

He was just human.

This whole "redeemed" narrative that the media has been pushing on sports stars has gotten out of control and is being used against people that do not warrant it.

Great post, TP

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2020, 09:47:32 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

He was just human.

I thought of him "redeeming" his career in the sense that he prolonged his career for a few more seasons at least when he was on track to being out of the league last year.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2020, 10:36:30 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I thought of him "redeeming" his career in the sense that he prolonged his career for a few more seasons at least when he was on track to being out of the league last year.

It's a fair observation and assessment. There were definitely many who wondered whether he had been humbled enough to accept his reality and just focus on being a good teammate and role player. It seems he proved he absolutely is, which probably does mean his career will be extended for a bit.

I just don't think 'redeemed' is the right word for that.

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2020, 10:46:48 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
He was already going to the HoF before this so I don't think this changes much. It'll quiet some of the more obnoxious "rings are the only thing that matters" conversations and, as others have said, he acquitted himself well in his role which is good to see but ultimately averaging 6 and 5 in 15 mpg for the Lakers during the playoffs doesn't change my opinion of him any.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008