Author Topic: Rockets (25-7) at Celtics (28-10) Game #39 12/28/17  (Read 60259 times)

Re: Rockets (25-7) at Celtics (28-10) Game #39 12/28/17
« Reply #645 on: December 28, 2017, 11:00:11 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I am totally fine with people focusing on the 1 and a half minutes of absolute virtuoso performance by Smart.

I prefer to focus on the 46 minutes of him being beaten around like David Caradine #checkouthowhedied

Thankfully, he only played 34.  And David Caradine always came through.  Good nickname for Marcus though -- Grasshopper.
Well.....Grasshopper couldn't even find his own kid after a fire, and the kid (despite being trained) couldn't find his father and Smart can't find a shot or offense, which is pretty fundamental to the NBA, so I think it's a great nickname. Cue the flashback.

« Reply #646 on: December 28, 2017, 11:00:29 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
I believe

They began their comeback when I said this.  You're welcome ;)

« Reply #647 on: December 28, 2017, 11:00:36 PM »

Offline satch

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 136
Good win..Learn from it...C's almost let Charlotte last night do to them what they did to Rockets.

« Reply #648 on: December 28, 2017, 11:00:47 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I am totally fine with people focusing on the 1 and a half minutes of absolute virtuoso performance by Smart.

I prefer to focus on the 46 minutes of him being beaten around like David Caradine #checkouthowhedied

Except that's not even close to true. He played well the entire second half. His defense on Harden in the second half is one of the primary reasons we won and got Harden frustrated, even to the point of him taking desperation threes a couple of steps in front of the halfcourt line.

He literally had 13 pts on 6-14 shooting with 6 rebs, 5 asts, 2 stls, 3 blcks and made the two winning plays to win us the game, yet you're still going to complain about him??
Are you telling me he wasn't a huge huge part of why we were down so bad and why Stevens had to resort to playing Nader, and at one point even Jabari Bird?  I mean come on. The guy totally checked out and showed up for a half at absolute best. What happens at your job if you show up for half a day? Do people pat you on the back because you do your job the rest of the day? Whatever. He's a slacker who has good timing, and honestly I'm very glad he does, because he doesn't bring much else.

Uh, yes, I'm absolutely saying that, because Nader and Bird never came in to replace Smart. Brad brought Nader in for Baynes to better matchup with Houston, and the only reason they played is because Brown and Semi were both out. Were you even watching the same game as the rest of us? lol

I'm just going to leave this right here from our good friend Yoki:

Godly defense.

James Harden when defended by Marcus Smart tonight:

0-7 FG
4 turnovers

(includes both Harden turnovers in the final 7 seconds)

https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/946587229341745152

« Reply #649 on: December 28, 2017, 11:00:48 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Forgotten man of he night: Abdel Nader, who provided some much needed energy when the team looked like it was ready to quit.
Exactly

« Reply #650 on: December 28, 2017, 11:01:08 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Horford has been horrible on both ends in this game. Can't Brad do something and do some adjustments on the rotation? Clearly, Horford is not a solution in this game.

Kinda funny, no?

Let's not pretend he wasn't doo-doo for the first 45 and a half minutes of this game.

LOL So was not "doo doo" for the first 45 minutes of the game.

For real, what are you watching?
He was pretty bad. Got burned on switches, wasn't rebounding, struggled to score in the post.

« Reply #651 on: December 28, 2017, 11:04:04 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
On an unrelated note... I feel for the Pistons fans that have to look at this horrid color pattern for an entire game. It literally feels like my TV's colors are off.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #652 on: December 28, 2017, 11:04:22 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Horford has been horrible on both ends in this game. Can't Brad do something and do some adjustments on the rotation? Clearly, Horford is not a solution in this game.

Kinda funny, no?

Let's not pretend he wasn't doo-doo for the first 45 and a half minutes of this game.

He was pretty bad. Got burned on switches, wasn't rebounding, struggled to score in the post.

Yeah, I'm not sure where this is coming from. Al was a major component of our suckiness tonight. He hit the go-ahead shot, but he was pretty awful most of the rest of the game.

« Reply #653 on: December 28, 2017, 11:04:47 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Kinda funny, no?

Ditto. He came through at the end, but his subpar play was one of the reasons we got into such a major hole to begin with.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #654 on: December 28, 2017, 11:04:51 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Except that's not even close to true. He played well the entire second half. His defense on Harden in the second half is one of the primary reasons we won and got Harden frustrated, even to the point of him taking desperation threes a couple of steps in front of the halfcourt line.

He literally had 13 pts on 6-14 shooting with 6 rebs, 5 asts, 2 stls, 3 blcks and made the two winning plays to win us the game, yet you're still going to complain about him??
Are you telling me he wasn't a huge huge part of why we were down so bad and why Stevens had to resort to playing Nader, and at one point even Jabari Bird?  I mean come on. The guy totally checked out and showed up for a half at absolute best. What happens at your job if you show up for half a day? Do people pat you on the back because you do your job the rest of the day? Whatever. He's a slacker who has good timing, and honestly I'm very glad he does, because he doesn't bring much else.

Uh, yes, I'm absolutely saying that, because Nader and Bird never came in to replace Smart. Brad brought Nader in for Baynes to better matchup with Houston, and the only reason they played is because Brown and Semi were both out. Were you even watching the same game as the rest of us? lol

I'm just going to leave this right here from our good friend Yoki:

Godly defense.

James Harden when defended by Marcus Smart tonight:

0-7 FG
4 turnovers

(includes both Harden turnovers in the final 7 seconds)

https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/946587229341745152

Ah I see. So Smart wasn't defending the Rockets guards in the first half? Well. He wasn't actually. Nobody was.

« Reply #655 on: December 28, 2017, 11:07:48 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Thankfully, he only played 34.  And David Caradine always came through.  Good nickname for Marcus though -- Grasshopper.
Well.....Grasshopper couldn't even find his own kid after a fire, and the kid (despite being trained) couldn't find his father and Smart can't find a shot or offense, which is pretty fundamental to the NBA, so I think it's a great nickname. Cue the flashback.
eja, you are really straining here to justify your dislike for smart. it really doesnt make you look good. let it go and enjoy the win please.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #656 on: December 28, 2017, 11:10:10 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

eja, you are really straining here to justify your dislike for smart. it really doesnt make you look good. let it go and enjoy the win please.

TP. I have no idea why people are complaining about an amazing win against one of the best teams in the NBA. I think it says more about those people and their worldview than anything basketball related.

« Reply #657 on: December 28, 2017, 11:11:10 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

I just want to resist the typical Smart scenario where we give him most of the credit for the win but none of the blame for the first half or any losses.

Furthermore.....he was the 6th pick. Helping us win....like all the time...is his job. He's supppppoooossseeeddd to help us win.  But usually I just sit here praying he doesn't go one for 35 (where inevitably the one is the last second game winning shot after he gets a steal).

« Reply #658 on: December 28, 2017, 11:12:06 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

« Reply #659 on: December 28, 2017, 11:14:44 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

I just want to resist the typical Smart scenario where we give him most of the credit for the win but none of the blame for the first half or any losses.

Furthermore.....he was the 6th pick. Helping us win....like all the time...is his job. He's supppppoooossseeeddd to help us win.  But usually I just sit here praying he doesn't go one for 35 (where inevitably the one is the last second game winning shot after he gets a steal).

I guess every party has a pooper...