Author Topic: Discussion of CelticsBlog Upgrades  (Read 62462 times)

Re: Discussion of CelticsBlog Upgrades
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2012, 04:19:42 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I thought CB authors did a phenomenal job when deciding which green blurb to keep on top of the feed :)

Mostly it was the most recent story, unless there was a major editorial, or something one of the editors felt really strongly about.

But it was really common for an author to put 2 or 3 hours and thousands of words into a piece only to have it bumped by a tweet from Glen Davis or something. It wasn't a huge problem, but it was annoying sometimes.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2012, 05:13:27 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
like all change it will take some getting used to
but I think it will grow on the majority of you

cheers
Jeff, so do warts. :)

My immediate impressions are that there is more noise, and it's harder to find the signal.  It's prettier, but I don't come to Celticsblog for "eye candy", I come for information. 

Constructive criticisms...

1. When I go to the homepage, I get the SBNation Ad filling the entire window of my browser. I have to reduce my font size to find the close button in the upper right corner and then increase font size to read the text (old eyes). This is a nuisance, if it happens every time I come to the site, it'll be a big nuisance. If it's just a one time, or once in a while, thing I can live with it.

2. Arranging the articles in a graphics block is very e-magazine of you, but personally I don't like it. I'd much rather have a web-log look like a web-log with a "blog roll" of articles down the page than a magazine with fancy graphics, repeated openings, and plenty of jumping to other pages. How will "pocket" handle those articles? Poorly, I bet.

3. Where are the forums? Yes, I found them, but I had to search and drill down into a "pretty" drop down menu to find them. Over half of the reason I come to CB is the forums and you're making it harder for me to get there. Make it too hard and I'll just make a link directly *to* the forums and skip the front page entirely. Neither one of want that!

4. I've only seen this on a desktop monitor here at work. When I get home I'll switch to a 7" tablet. How is it going to look on a tablet? On a cellphone? Do you have a mobile version?

5. Thank goodness, the forums haven't changed!

Okay, so SBNation did a sitewide change and CB had to follow. Grumble! Maybe it'll grow on me. Grumble! I hope so. Grumble!

« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2012, 05:18:48 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
One thing to note is that the look of the front page isn't going to stay static; there are a ton of different layouts that this software enables.

Take a look around the SBN network for some of the other examples.  www.StanleyCupOfChowder.com looks different today, for instance, than www.PatsPulpit.com.
Roy,

Speaking as a Celtics fan, I enjoyed being at a Celtics blog. Yeah, it's SB Nation and has been SB Nation for some time, but in look, style and substance it was CB not SBN...now it's just another SB Nation property. Sorry, but right now I'm bummed.

« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2012, 05:27:16 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
One thing to note is that the look of the front page isn't going to stay static; there are a ton of different layouts that this software enables.

Take a look around the SBN network for some of the other examples.  www.StanleyCupOfChowder.com looks different today, for instance, than www.PatsPulpit.com.
All three of these look the same to me. I guess an indication that my current browser breaks the layout?

Of course, the fact that the most popular browser out there serves a broken product is not a good testament for the SB QA/QC department...
Yep! All three look pretty much the same to me on Chrome, Firefox and IE running on my work system. Roy must be seeing something that I'm not seeing.

« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2012, 05:29:20 PM »

Offline jarufu

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 123
I don't like it today. That might change as I get used to.

The IRFU are probably taking a long look at the new logo and colour scheme though! !!  :P
Stay classy, San Diego. Hello, Baxter? Baxter, is that you? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee. Is this Wilt Chamberlain? Have the decency to say something.

« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2012, 05:35:40 PM »

Offline WaltonsIllegitimateSon

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
4. I've only seen this on a desktop monitor here at work. When I get home I'll switch to a 7" tablet. How is it going to look on a tablet? On a cellphone? Do you have a mobile version?

erisred, this was answered earlier in this thread (the redesign is in part intended to eliminate the need for mobile versions, as the content shifts itself to fit the available screen space), but I can tell you that this morning's Brandon Bass post filled the entire screen of my iPad, so that nothing but the Brandon Bass photo (and centered article name, "Brandon Bass Day: The Upgrade") was visible.  Clicking on it was the only option without scrolling to find other content.

« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2012, 07:05:39 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Goodness gracious, what a usability nightmare the front page is now. I'll give it a few days, but I think I'm changing my bookmark to come directly to the forums.

Well done !!this is the answer for me as well. !!! The front page is too much .  The old deal was much more USER friendly. 

« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2012, 07:26:36 PM »

Offline bballee

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 18
Score:
Advertisers 1000
SBNation     900
CelticsBlog   20
CelticsFans   1.5

I sure hope this is a homerun for Jeff and the staff in maintenance reduction, because it is a real hit on the readers.  I suspected as much with the logo preview.  this should server as another cautionary tale of corporate greed.

If you are looking to drive change, you've succeeded.  I will use Shirley's links on her celticsgreen.blogspot.com to pick any articles on CB, excuse me SBNcb, because the overhead to wade through the extraneous garbage just got too high.  Sad, I feel like Craftsman tools just got sold to the Chinese and will be made of bamboo and paper henceforth.

The real pity is that there are some good ideas lost in this sellout.  I liked the concept of topic groupings.  Most commented has some value.

« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2012, 07:47:11 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I guess what I'd say the "corporate greed" charges are a little unfair.  From the time SBN announced this behind closed doors until now, I haven't heard them talk about page clicks and revenues, etc.

Now, that doesn't mean that those discussions weren't taking place.  However, there are other reasons besides revenue to want to change.  The "magazine" style blog seems to be the wave of the future; look at Red's Army, for instance. 

I think a lot of folks think the magazine style is better, and that it makes for a better blog.  I guess I'd say please limit criticism to what you see, rather than assumptions you're making about SBN's motivations.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2012, 08:00:43 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
As of now I don't like it. Hopefully it will grow on me.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2012, 08:07:05 PM »

Offline The4Time2Doctor0

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 18
I don't hate it, but it seems way too large on the front page. it was. shock to see it though.

« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2012, 08:20:10 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Not really feeling it to be honest, maybe will get used to it.

Now as for the forums Jeff is there anyway to install/enable a mobile style for the forums we can select when on a iPhone or tablet? It's usually there as an option nearly everywhere you go nowadays.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2012, 09:04:41 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Let's just say that I hope the season goes better than this remake.

Ugh. Awful.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2012, 09:15:13 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I hate change...

Beyond that, it seems fine to me.

« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2012, 09:45:41 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I guess what I'd say the "corporate greed" charges are a little unfair.  From the time SBN announced this behind closed doors until now, I haven't heard them talk about page clicks and revenues, etc.

Now, that doesn't mean that those discussions weren't taking place.  However, there are other reasons besides revenue to want to change.  The "magazine" style blog seems to be the wave of the future; look at Red's Army, for instance. 

I think a lot of folks think the magazine style is better, and that it makes for a better blog.  I guess I'd say please limit criticism to what you see, rather than assumptions you're making about SBN's motivations.

I agree
somehow
I miss the forum perspective a little
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!