Author Topic: Marc Stein's latest on Smith  (Read 7371 times)

Re: Marc Stein's latest on Smith
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2013, 09:56:39 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Rockets will offer max that they can (something around 4 years and 80 right?) So the C's would have to match that at least, and I wouldn't be shocked if he'd threaten to walk to play with Harden if he didn't get the fifth year.

So you match, but remember Celtics can offer higher raises than them per year. I'm not saying that a fifth year isn't a possibility, but to think that a deal for a 4 year contract is impossible as is being insinuated is simply an inaccurate assessment of the situation, particularly by the apparent aversion from a lot of teams of committing to a max deal for Smith.

Houston indeed is the most worrying, and actually Atlanta themselves could be worrying if they get Rondo... not sure if they'd want Smith back though.

The most likely scenario in my opinion is that Ainge makes a trade if a negotiation for an extension takes place before we even get to free-agency.
Can't extend, extensions will mean less money for Smith and handshake deals and negotiations are not only against the CBA but hurt the players leverage so not a single player has agreed to one so far.

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2013, 09:58:47 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
@KBergCBS: The Rockets, flush with assets, are involved at "high level" in Josh Smith talks, league source says.

Ugh. I hate-love Daryl Morey.
Of course they are, they also will be one of his top suitors this offseason. It will be interesting to see if they give up a lot for him when they have cap space to get him as a FA.

« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2013, 09:59:13 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Rockets will offer max that they can (something around 4 years and 80 right?) So the C's would have to match that at least, and I wouldn't be shocked if he'd threaten to walk to play with Harden if he didn't get the fifth year.

So you match, but remember Celtics can offer higher raises than them per year. I'm not saying that a fifth year isn't a possibility, but to think that a deal for a 4 year contract is impossible as is being insinuated is simply an inaccurate assessment of the situation, particularly by the apparent aversion from a lot of teams of committing to a max deal for Smith.

Houston indeed is the most worrying, and actually Atlanta themselves could be worrying if they get Rondo... not sure if they'd want Smith back though.

The most likely scenario in my opinion is that Ainge makes a trade if a negotiation for an extension takes place alongside it.

You'd have to wonder whether he'd want to sign long term on a team who's best players are 36 and 37 if he has the chance to play with younger stars.

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2013, 09:59:45 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
You really think you can sell Josh Smith on not demanding a 5th year that it'd somehow help the C's compete for a title?

No, I say that no one in the league can offer him a 5th year, so Smith should/could agree to stay in Boston if he sees the team being highly competitive while Garnett remains.
Other teams can offer him more youth, a similar four year deal, and lesser state taxes. (Houston for example)

5th year is what would allow Boston to keep him, especially with no Rondo.

That may very well be the ending conclusion, but I don't see why you guys think some sort of accord for a 4 year deal is so far fetch that this need to be argued.

« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2013, 10:03:20 AM »

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
I say that Danny Ferry was a bs player and now he's a big bs GM. He's looking for something in return for Smith, that's he's never gonna get. Just like ORL with DH... 

« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2013, 10:18:24 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
I say that Danny Ferry was a bs player and now he's a big bs GM. He's looking for something in return for Smith, that's he's never gonna get. Just like ORL with DH...

Orlando did get a return for Howard, as opposed to letting him cause a circus this year and walk this summer with nothin in return

They got Arron Afflalo, Al Harrington, Maurice Harkless, promising center Nikola Vucevic, three first round picks and two seconds.

If the Hawks could get half that from another team, they'd be doing cartwheels.   

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2013, 10:21:56 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Looks like Milwaukee will get Smith according to Woj

Edit: He is now reporting Phoenix is making a push and we are a dark horse for him.  :D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 10:54:48 AM by Kane3387 »

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2013, 11:09:23 AM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
@KBergCBS: The Rockets, flush with assets, are involved at "high level" in Josh Smith talks, league source says.

Ugh. I hate-love Daryl Morey.
Of course they are, they also will be one of his top suitors this offseason. It will be interesting to see if they give up a lot for him when they have cap space to get him as a FA.

Plus he is a 4...we all know how much he loves PF's

« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2013, 11:24:57 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I wonder if Thomas Robinson is Atlanta bound.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2013, 12:38:09 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
I wonder if Thomas Robinson is Atlanta bound.

He can't be flipped until all paperwork is in and all physicals taken, etc.   He also can't be in any other trades besides one for one player swaps, so he can't be flipped with others for Josh Smith.