Author Topic: Marcus Smart has been named first team all-defense, according to the NBA.  (Read 4258 times)

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Congrats to Marcus! And Yes it was long overdue.

I really believe that Marcus has more upside remaining to his game.

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Well deserved. Career year AFTER getting the big payday.

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
Well deserved. The full teams:

First Team All-Defensive
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Paul George
Rudy Gobert
Marcus Smart
Eric Bledsoe

Second Team All-Defensive
Draymond Green
Kawhi Leonard
Joel Embiid
Jrue Holiday
Klay Thompson

For the record, Kyrie Irving and Jaylen Brown both received 1 second team vote as guards. Al Horford received 4 second team votes for forwards.

I think KL should have been up there over giannis.  Not close to me.  Did not watch PG enough to compare to DG.

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Congrats Marcus! My fave player since the Truth! Well deserved award and I hope we can retain him somehow even with a trade.
- LilRip

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Congrats to Marcus!  great job, well deserved for being such a great def player for many years.

I think Jaylen kind of got the shaft with only 1 vote.  His def in the last 1/2 of the season was arguably the best on the team.
I think he suffered this year what Smart suffered in previous years...he was a bench player this year. When Brown is the starter in the future, I can see him garnering a lot of support for All-Defense teams. He's 22. His time will come.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Bledsoe but no Beverley confuses me
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Bledsoe but no Beverley confuses me

Maybe because of team records. Bledsoe surprised me on this list too.

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Draymond is underrated to me, GSW would have nothing without that dude. Curry should be trying anything to keep him and Klay around! He covers for a hell of a lot and should always remain first team IMO! Don't need to like a guy to know when he's special on D. Smart and has the motor for it.

Smart has been that dude, NBA can kiss our...

When Draymond plays like he is right now? Sure... but remember this is a regular season award and Draymond by his own admission slogged through the entire season 20 pounds overweight. i don't think he is underrated for this past regular season here.

Is that right? Thanks for the info. I was mainly thinking of his career as a whole, so that clouded my thinking overall and I didn't watch as many of their games this season, I just assumed he kept it up because I'm so used to him sustaining that effort (in more than defense).
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Congrats to Marcus!  great job, well deserved for being such a great def player for many years.

I think Jaylen kind of got the shaft with only 1 vote.  His def in the last 1/2 of the season was arguably the best on the team.
I think he suffered this year what Smart suffered in previous years...he was a bench player this year. When Brown is the starter in the future, I can see him garnering a lot of support for All-Defense teams. He's 22. His time will come.

yeah it seems like these teams are sometimes chosen on reputation that takes years to form as well.  If he is a starter all year, Jaylen probably gets more votes agreed.

I just don't want to lose both Smart and Jaylen in going after Davis.  They are our two best def players (well horford is in there too I guess).  We need one of them to stay.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Overdue.

Really happy to see one good thing come out of this season.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
All-defense teams more than any other award are reputation awards. Usually you only get put on it after deserving it for at least a year or two. Marcus could have made it for last year for example.

Jaylen was good, but not an elite defender. He has to up his level a lot and then sustain it for a few years before he's likely to get the nod.

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Draymond is underrated to me, GSW would have nothing without that dude. Curry should be trying anything to keep him and Klay around! He covers for a hell of a lot and should always remain first team IMO! Don't need to like a guy to know when he's special on D. Smart and has the motor for it.

Smart has been that dude, NBA can kiss our...

When Draymond plays like he is right now? Sure... but remember this is a regular season award and Draymond by his own admission slogged through the entire season 20 pounds overweight. i don't think he is underrated for this past regular season here.

That is true, Draymond got lazy, and if he won DPOY, (All NBA seems highly unlikely,) he would've been all set for the Supermax extension, (which I feel like at some point the GSW has to be willing to pony up the money if KD does indeed leave,) but now that is pretty much all smoke in the water. He's no longer able to receive said compensation, but at the starting max of $30, I'll still go with it. DG/Klay/Steph is a big 3 that is still compatibility dominant in the next 3-4 years.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different