Author Topic: J. Okafor - Merged Thread  (Read 43138 times)

Re: J. Okafor - Merged Thread
« Reply #120 on: November 01, 2017, 01:44:53 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I don't rate him and never did but I think trading for him would be better so you get his bird rights.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #121 on: November 01, 2017, 01:54:35 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Buyout of his rookie contract?  Isn't salary fixed by the rookie scale?  How could philly pay less than he's due on the rookie scale?  Is that allowed?  There may be no precedent for this.

Any player can be bought out of any contract at any time. But if the team wants a 'discount' they need the players consent. So if Okafor is willing to agree to take less in order to secure a buyout of his current contract and immediately become a unrestricted free agent, that is his right to choose to do so.

« Reply #122 on: November 01, 2017, 02:06:53 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
http://twitter.com/PompeyOnSixers/status/925781419867205632

According to Pompey, Boston is the most likely landing spot for Okafor if he's bought out.

« Reply #123 on: November 01, 2017, 02:10:38 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum

According to Pompey, Boston is the most likely landing spot for Okafor if he's bought out.
If we sign him how does it work in the offseason? We won't be able to offer him above the mid level exception right? I feel like signing a young player is counter productive if your hands are tied keeping him long term.

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #124 on: November 01, 2017, 02:14:14 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

The 76ers fans would really hate that because they view us as their biggest rival. That being said, it seems like most of them are becoming embarrassed about how BC has treated Okafor and just want him freed.

« Reply #125 on: November 01, 2017, 02:16:26 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

« Reply #126 on: November 01, 2017, 02:22:55 PM »

Offline Raul C

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Is it me or does there seem to be more smoke surrounding Okafor/Celtics than any other team?

I don't imagine anyone could really know for sure so are they just playing the safe bet?

« Reply #127 on: November 01, 2017, 02:25:03 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
There are a lot of poorly run teams in the nba. Philly handled this situation and Noel as bad as you can possibly handle it. The Fultz situation is a bad look too. For a team that supposedly cares so much about their ""assets" they sure don't show it. And Simmons and Embiid were obvious picks at the time so that wasn't exactly expert management.

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #128 on: November 01, 2017, 02:40:25 PM »

Offline Mike Pemulis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
Dunno if they've been mentioned but the Bulls? Played high school ball in Chi. Might help resolve the Mirotic/Portis problem. I'd take him as our 15th man. Good insurance if a Big goes down, he'll be forced to improve or leave, and he's around some Duke guys.
Other possible fits: Portland (good Nurkic insurance), Atlanta (lack talented bigs). 
Allston, MA --> Enfield Tennis Academy

« Reply #129 on: November 01, 2017, 02:50:12 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119

Yeah and the Sixers don't want to help a division rival.

Then again...... they can't find a reason to play the guy. So in their mind, how would he help us?

What a bunch of morons in Philly.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #130 on: November 01, 2017, 02:57:29 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Dunno if they've been mentioned but the Bulls? Played high school ball in Chi. Might help resolve the Mirotic/Portis problem. I'd take him as our 15th man. Good insurance if a Big goes down, he'll be forced to improve or leave, and he's around some Duke guys.
Other possible fits: Portland (good Nurkic insurance), Atlanta (lack talented bigs).
How, by punching out both of them? :P
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #131 on: November 01, 2017, 02:57:43 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
It seems like a lot of the pro-Jahlil posts come down to "He'll be different when he's away from the Sixers."

But just because the Sixers are a dysfunctional organization does not mean Okafor isn't also a headcase. He's an incredibly smooth offensive player who has never shown an aptitude to be good at any other aspect of basketball either in the pros or college. Where is the evidence that he'll get better at the things he's bad at if he's away from the Sixers?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #132 on: November 01, 2017, 03:03:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
It seems like a lot of the pro-Jahlil posts come down to "He'll be different when he's away from the Sixers."

But just because the Sixers are a dysfunctional organization does not mean Okafor isn't also a headcase. He's an incredibly smooth offensive player who has never shown an aptitude to be good at any other aspect of basketball either in the pros or college. Where is the evidence that he'll get better at the things he's bad at if he's away from the Sixers?
The general thought is, that a player can't be that offensively talented, both with moves and skill, that he can't be taught to be at least a decent defender.  How can he have such brilliant footwork, hands, post-moves, etc. and not be able to translate that defensively?  How can have such good shooting touch down low and not be able to translate that out to deeper range?  He isn't quick and never will be, but he pretty clearly has talent, the rest can be taught.

He also isn't as bad a rebounder as he has been made out to be.  He also has shown some shot blocking ability. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #133 on: November 01, 2017, 03:06:02 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

The general thought is, that a player can't be that offensively talented, both with moves and skill, that he can't be taught to be at least a decent defender.  How can he have such brilliant footwork, hands, post-moves, etc. and not be able to translate that defensively?  How can have such good shooting touch down low and not be able to translate that out to deeper range?  He isn't quick and never will be, but he pretty clearly has talent, the rest can be taught.

He also isn't as bad a rebounder as he has been made out to be.  He also has shown some shot blocking ability.

When people were proposing trading a Brooklyn pick for him two years ago or far Marcus Smart I was vehemently arguing against them because of these limitations. Now that the cost will be just salary or a second round pick, I do think it is worth seeing what CBS could teach him for the Celtics. Lets not forget what he was able to do with Jordan Crawford.

« Reply #134 on: November 01, 2017, 03:06:44 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
There's no evidence, outside whatever anyone wants to read into his comments, interviews, etc. which are all pretty normal-sounding. He also is a Coach K / Duke product, which means... something.

I see similarities between Jah and Boogie Cousins (with an obvious discrepancy in ability, though I think Okafor could one day be, like, 75-80% of Cousins). But Okafor is 21 years old - giving him plenty of time to be molded and taught how to be a good professional young man. Also..... he would cost this team basically nothing - no reason to keep him if he proves a mistake, but offers the possibility of adding something on the court in spurts.

Finally, I believe in Brad more than Danny or anyone else. I'm convinced Stevens gets a say in decisions like these and while Danny has the last word I bet Brad has some sway. If CBS thinks he can add something, I'm in.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens