Author Topic: Luka Doncic Awareness Thread  (Read 113821 times)

Luka Doncic Awareness Thread
« on: February 03, 2017, 04:23:18 PM »

Offline detour

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 22
  • Jack of some trades
Firstly, just check this 11 second video of what he did in one of the toughest away games in Euroleague at 17 years old:

https://twitter.com/Eurohoopsnet/status/827623490471620610

This is not a fluke. He performs day in day out, in a top European club, and do Chris Paul stuff despite playing SG/SF. He scores in different ways, runs pick and rolls and pops, has a very reliable outside shot and court vision. He is touted as one of the greatest Euro prospects ever.

So why the thread? He will be eligible in 2018 NBA draft, and every Celtics fan must know this guy considering we have a potentially high draft pick. We shouldn't trade it unless we rob some poor team.

For the interested, his Euroleague stats page:

http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=005929

A draftexpress breakdown of a Spanish league game of him:

https://youtu.be/3fJLjXK_rNU

Re: Luka Doncic Awareness Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 04:27:29 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I'm on record in about 10 threads as saying Luka Doncic is my hands down favorite for 2018.

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 04:30:30 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
There is a little bit of Manu in him, and he was my favorite player to watch for years. Definitely a guy to keep an eye on.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 04:47:02 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
All the more reason to hang onto the 2018 pick.

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 04:51:02 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
His numbers are ridiculous for 17.  If what Zizic is doing at 20 is an 8 on a scale of 1-10, this is like a 15. 

That said, he's 17.  It's going to be at least 2 years until he plays an NBA game.  There is a lot that can go wrong in the meantime.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 04:52:53 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
I just want to point to one problem that seems has no solution. Every year there are more euro players from europe in the nba but all those players are getting in the nba too early at just 18,19. Just like Bender. I believe that they won't be very successful because they are not ready. That's why i think Doncic should come in the nba in 2019 or 2020.

Ginobili, Marc Gasol, Dario Saric ( those were first they came to my mind i'm sure there are more) stayed in europe more years and came more nba ready.

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 04:57:33 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
I just want to point to one problem that seems has no solution. Every year there are more euro players from europe in the nba but all those players are getting in the nba too early at just 18,19. Just like Bender. I believe that they won't be very successful because they are not ready. That's why i think Doncic should come in the nba in 2019 or 2020.

Ginobili, Marc Gasol, Dario Saric ( those were first they came to my mind i'm sure there are more) stayed in europe more years and came more nba ready.

The same argument can be true college players.  But Doncic is 17 and a key contributor for arguably the best team in Europe.  Dario Saric wasn't putting up near triple-doubles for Real Madrid at 17.

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 04:58:27 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I preffer ayton or bamba

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 05:04:32 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54

The same argument can be true college players.  But Doncic is 17 and a key contributor for arguably the best team in Europe.  Dario Saric wasn't putting up near triple-doubles for Real Madrid at 17.

Saric was one of the best euro prospect since he was 16. He could have come to the nba sooner but i think that would have been mistake. And Doncic is impressive yes, just to be able to get a roster spot in Real Madrid is impressive, and he is even getting qualitty minutes. He is natural talent. Size, handling, shooting, vision.... I just don't want to see ruined careers, like it will be with Bender.

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 05:06:55 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I'm on record in about 10 threads as saying Luka Doncic is my hands down favorite for 2018.
agreed. it is still a year away, but doncic looks like he might be the best player in the draft, and indeed, a number of drafts.

but, let's see how he fares this year.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 05:56:06 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Here's the highlights from a game last Friday.  Two big time blocks at the rim, and a breakaway dunk to seal the game.  He's ridiculously skilled on offense (I loved that reverse through the legs dribble right before a beautiful layup off the glass that the OP linked to), but he's developing the strength he'll need at the NBA.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=ys4m2DhfxLA

He'd start for some bad NBA teams today.  In 20 months when he's eligible for his NBA debut, he'll be ready to contribute to any team on day 1.

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 06:08:13 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
I like his name. Can def picture Tommy yelling "Luka!".
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 06:19:53 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
I like his name. Can def picture Tommy yelling "Luka!".

Hope Tommy's still with us when this guy comes to the NBA.

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 06:51:36 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
Just to give people a general idea of how impressive this guy's numbers are:

1. Dragan Bender was touted as a top 3 pick in last year's draft
2. Dragan Bender Euroleague stats: (7 games) 10.5 MPG, 2.14 PPG, 1.43 RPG on 33/25/50 splits
3. Luka Doncic Euroleague stats: (20 games) 19.2 MPG, 8.9 PPG, 4.1 RPG, 3.7 APG on 54/43/85 splits.

Oh, by the way: Luka Doncic posted those stats at age 17, a year younger than Bender.

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2017, 07:27:27 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I like the kid. I like him ALOT.

One question. He seems to have a decent frame, and doesnt look that skinny, but DE has him listed at 185 lbs. At 6'7ish that seems skinnier than he looks.

Any input from his supporters? His talent looks off the charts.
#JKJB