Author Topic: Where does Mike Conley jr end up?  (Read 8446 times)

Re: Where does Mike Conley jr end up?
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2019, 09:25:53 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
2 years 67 million for a fringe all-star? That doesn't seem very easy to move...

I don't know what Minny's pick situation is, but if Teague picks up his $19 million option for next season (seems likely), they could do Teague + Dieng + 1st for Conley.

Would Memphis do that?  I don't know, but I feel like at this point getting a 1st round pick from a team that's not a lock to make the playoffs would be about as good as they could hope for.  Plus Teague expires after one year.

I could see that deal happening, but is that what we consider a haul? An overpaid, should be backup point, and a non lottery pick and two years of horrible money for Dieng?

I also think that Minny probably does make the playoffs with Conley, Gibson, Saric, Covington, Towns (or Towns is not good at all).

I really doubt they're gonna do better than a borderline lottery pick.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2019, 04:33:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
A Memphis paper, but a pretty detailed and reasonable look at what Conley's market might look like.

https://dailymemphian.com/article/5164/Grizzlies-The-Mike-Conley-trade-speculation-column-summer-edition
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2019, 06:01:29 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
A Memphis paper, but a pretty detailed and reasonable look at what Conley's market might look like.

https://dailymemphian.com/article/5164/Grizzlies-The-Mike-Conley-trade-speculation-column-summer-edition

Looks like this columnist agrees that something along the lines of a late lottery / mid-1st round pick is going to be the primary return in a Conley trade, if one happens

The article actually pegs the Celtics as one of the more likely trade partners assuming Kyrie leaves.

Hayward + #14 + #22 would seem to work for both sides.  Might even get them to do it for just the contract and the #14.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2019, 09:03:37 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I've always loved Conley but with his contract there's no way he becomes a C.  [dang it].

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2019, 09:32:53 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Conley would be a great fit in Orlando. I'm not sure what Orlando would have to send out but Conley could make that team run. Conley's 30 million is going to be hard to match up in a trade.

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2019, 10:06:04 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Looks like this columnist agrees that something along the lines of a late lottery / mid-1st round pick is going to be the primary return in a Conley trade, if one happens

The article actually pegs the Celtics as one of the more likely trade partners assuming Kyrie leaves.

Hayward + #14 + #22 would seem to work for both sides.  Might even get them to do it for just the contract and the #14.

Makes sense. If/when Kyrie leaves, the Celts will need a point guard and Memphis could use a small forward. Unless Memphis decides to keep Conley and draft Barrett instead of Morant.

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2019, 10:22:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Knicks sending out Smith Jr and maybe a pick while absorbing the rest of the contract seems to make sense if Durant goes there and Kyrie and Kemba don't.

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2019, 10:24:56 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Boston makes sense. Among the top 10 teams in the NBA, the Celtics clearly have the biggest hole at PG. Other potential teams: Indy, CHA (if Kemba walks), LAC, Utah, Wash, and PHO.

I'd pick Boston over those other situations.

Should have tried for a Irving /Conley  swap at the 2019 deadline.
Dare say the rest of the season would have turned out better.

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2019, 10:37:38 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Boston makes sense. Among the top 10 teams in the NBA, the Celtics clearly have the biggest hole at PG. Other potential teams: Indy, CHA (if Kemba walks), LAC, Utah, Wash, and PHO.

probably not
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2019, 10:41:46 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Knicks sending out Smith Jr and maybe a pick while absorbing the rest of the contract seems to make sense if Durant goes there and Kyrie and Kemba don't.

Yeah, if the Knicks want to take Conley into that salary space and send out Smith jr and a future pick that would be a good trade for both sides....

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2019, 06:14:06 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I think this is one of those situations where it is better for them to let free agency play out a bit and then trade him. A team like New York might get one star and then look to trade for Conley to pair with him. Alternatively the Lakers may see him as a good fit alongside Lebron.

Detroit or Orlando could put together a decent offer but given they rejected the Jazz offer I'm not sure it's work out..

Don't understand the whole trading Conley for Hayward thing... that just sounds terrible for both sides. Selling Hayward when his value is low is just stupid. Because it will rise

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2019, 06:19:54 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

Yeah cause trading a player who scored more. Passed more. Shot better from everywhere on the court. Got more assists. Played better defense and Rebounded more for a player who was lesser at all raw and advanced statistics always makes a team better.

Great idea

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2019, 06:40:54 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Yeah cause trading a player who scored more. Passed more. Shot better from everywhere on the court. Got more assists. Played better defense and Rebounded more for a player who was lesser at all raw and advanced statistics always makes a team better.

Great idea
It makes no sense from the Grizzlies side either.  Irving wouldn't have resigned with them and they weren't even a playoff team. 

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2019, 09:17:21 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

I could maybe see even swap without the picks. No picks. Conley old and injury prone. I still wouldn’t do it. Wouldn’t get us over the hump.

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2019, 09:39:45 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I could maybe see even swap without the picks. No picks. Conley old and injury prone. I still wouldn’t do it. Wouldn’t get us over the hump.

It wouldn't, but I could see it being the difference between horford sticking around on a team friendly deal vs leaving to go to a contender.

I'm not opposed to a full youth movement if Kyrie leaves and no AD, but I could see the wisdom in a middle path where they resign horford, trade for Conley, and try to compete in the first couple rounds of the playoffs while the young guys grow up.
- Mark Twain