Author Topic: Pistons/Rockets/Celtics three way big trade idea: Drummond to Celtics  (Read 16704 times)

Re: Pistons/Rockets/Celtics three way big trade idea: Drummond to Celtics
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 07:13:53 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I would cut Houston out of the deal completely and do the trade of Rondo and Green along with the Clippers, Cavs and 76ers picks we have, in exchange for Drummond, Bynum and Jennings.
Boston does it because we get a piece for the future in Drummond obviously.
Detroit does it because Drummond simply doesn't fit. He isn't an ideal partner for Josh Smith (no spacing) and he isn't a fit next to Monroe who is another center. Who cares what stats Drummond is putting up if its not helping the Pistons win games? In addition, Detroit gets to seriously compete and has picks.
Detroit's lineup:
PG: Rajon Rondo
SG: Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
SF: Jeff Green
PF: Josh Smith
C: Greg Monroe
Maybe its just me, but that team matches up extremely well against the new Cavs team and I think they'd have a decent chance of making the Finals.
You have it backwards.  Maybe Smith or Monroe don't fit in with Drummond, not vise versa.  Drummond is the building block.

Actually, it's more like Monroe isn't a good fit with Smith.

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2014, 08:47:37 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
This is a nice idea. One thing is for sure, Pistons must do something to balance their front-heavy starting 5. If I were them, I'd take it, also because I'm really high on Capela.

Not sure I'd do it as the Rockets, but I'd have to think hard and pressure from Harden and Dwight might tip the balance.

Celtics come out biggest winners, though, with a budding all-star caliber center. Now if only he could learn to make some FT's...

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2014, 10:03:39 AM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
Rondo green and a pick would definitely net us Drummond I'm sorry. TWolves would've pounced on that asap if we offered that for love. Forget Houston unless we need them to match salaries, but if mid season our team isn't winning but rondo is playing great, I say the pistons might do that and the celtics might as well.

Smart, AB,  ???, Sully/Kelly, Drummond

Is a star SF away from being a better version of OKC...

KD slides in at the 3 I think we are better then OKC off the bat ****.

Defensive/ rebounding center.
Offensive PF's

As good as wrstrbrook n sefalosha are I think Smart and AB would be way more disruptive.

But KD isn't coming to boston...

So we would be searching for a SF for a long time.

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2014, 10:12:20 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I agree that Detroit's first option isn't to trade Drummond, but I also wouldn't label him untouchable (like A Davis). Their situation reminds me a little of LAL back when Kobe and Shaq were fighting. They could have either kept Shaq and let Kobe walk or sign Kobe and trade Shaq. By trading him they were able to gain additional pieces to go along with a re-signed Kobe.

With Monroe as a RFA and Josh Smith having so little value, they could really cash in on Drummond if they, a) wanted to compete now and, b) thought that a Monroe, Smith front court pairing was fairly ideal.

I would leave Houston out of the deal since I don't think they benefit too much from it, but a package if Rondo, Green, and picks isn't bad at all and it would actually balance out their team quite well.

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2014, 10:18:12 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
And I like where the OP is going with this. I am definitely in the "keep Rondo" camp, but if we trade him away, I would like to use additional pieces to bring back a 'better' player (or someone who is seen with the definite potential) rather than gain smaller pieces and more iffy picks.

I get it, it probably won't happen, but at least this Rondo proposal is intriguing.

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2014, 11:26:14 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I think IF the Pistons resign Monroe, they would consider dealing Drummond for Rondo.

I really do.

Especially if the Celts agreed to take back Jennings with Drummond.

They would then have a lineup of Rondo/Meeks/Butler/Smith/Monroe which is pretty good.

However, if they resigned Monroe, I think it's more likely they would want to deal Smoove over Drummond.

Which is why the correct trade would be to deal Green/Bass for Smith.

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2014, 02:06:05 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I think IF the Pistons resign Monroe, they would consider dealing Drummond for Rondo.

I really do.

I really don't.

If they saw Monroe as a foundational player, they would have offered him the max.  The only way I can see Detroit being willing to trade Drummond is if they think Drummond will never be worth a max extension, but that someone will give him a max offer sheet if he hits restricted free agency.  Do you think the Pistons view Drummond as a future max contract guy?

"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2014, 02:40:07 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

I really do.

I really don't.

If they saw Monroe as a foundational player, they would have offered him the max.  The only way I can see Detroit being willing to trade Drummond is if they think Drummond will never be worth a max extension, but that someone will give him a max offer sheet if he hits restricted free agency.  Do you think the Pistons view Drummond as a future max contract guy?

I am not sure if they view Drummond as a max guy or not.

But the reason why I think Detroit would consider something like Jennings/Drummond for Rondo/Green is because Detroit is in win-now mode and if they resign Monroe, a PG like Rondo could be the missing piece to the puzzle. Hence they reluctantly give up Drummond along with Jennings contract.

But if they can put together a lineup of Rondo/Meeks/Green/Smith/Monroe, they'd be willing to give up Drummond.

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2014, 03:13:57 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think your dreaming if you think DET would trade Drummond.

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2014, 03:17:47 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Ok. So keep Drummond and keep not making the playoffs. Thats a nice plan for the long run

Not really understanding some peoples mindset that having big name or marquee players is more important than winning.   I rather be the "boring, uninteresting" spurs than the Rockets any day

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2014, 03:26:19 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

I really do.

I really don't.

I am not sure if they view Drummond as a max guy or not.

But the reason why I think Detroit would consider something like Jennings/Drummond for Rondo/Green is because Detroit is in win-now mode and if they resign Monroe, a PG like Rondo could be the missing piece to the puzzle. Hence they reluctantly give up Drummond along with Jennings contract.

But if they can put together a lineup of Rondo/Meeks/Green/Smith/Monroe, they'd be willing to give up Drummond.

I think they'd rather start Monroe/Drummond and bench Josh Smith, carrying him as dead weight if necessary and let him sit at home until they can move him, rather than start Monroe/Smith and trade Drummond.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2014, 03:28:17 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Ok. So keep Drummond and keep not making the playoffs. Thats a nice plan for the long run

Not really understanding some peoples mindset that having big name or marquee players is more important than winning.   I rather be the "boring, uninteresting" spurs than the Rockets any day

I think you're dreaming if you believe Detroit will do exactly what you would do if you were in charge of the Pistons.

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2014, 03:31:03 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Drummond is a budding star with a cost controlled contract. His value is extremely high, as is his potential. I would also contend that Rondo has the bigger name.

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2014, 04:04:43 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
drummond isn't going anywhere

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2014, 04:22:49 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1481

There are other ways for Detroit to revamp their roster (and improve their team) that don't involve them trading their best player.  I can't see any plan in which Drummond gets moved.  It doesn't make any sense.  He is by far the best player / highest upside of anyone on their roster.   I am sure Detroit would love to snag Rondo, but they would only do it to pair him with Drummond.