Author Topic: A Bit Annoyed that the Cs Aren't Being Credited for Winning  (Read 4630 times)

Re: A Bit Annoyed that the Cs Aren't Being Credited for Winning
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2018, 01:15:54 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Screw the media.  They're idiots, it p---es me off too, but then I wonder why I listen to them at all.

The most annoying thing to me is how our last 2 wins against the Cavs, to go up 2-0 and 3-2, the ECF did not lead off ESPN's NBA: The Jump despite being the only game that was played. 

But of course, when the Cavs won games 3 and 4, the ECF led the show off.  It's a subtle dig, but it's unmistakable, it's not subjective or debatable, and it hasn't happened to any other final 4 teams even a single time that I've streamed the show. 

National media = losers.  Keep embarrassing yourselves with your flimsy mental midgetry in front of millions of viewers, us Celtics fans are 1 win away from being above it all.  LET'S GO!
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2018, 01:27:12 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I think most human beings, given the choice between "I was wrong" and "that was just a fluke," will prefer the latter explanation for what's happened.

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2018, 01:33:01 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Screw the media.  They're idiots, it p---es me off too, but then I wonder why I listen to them at all.

The most annoying thing to me is how our last 2 wins against the Cavs, to go up 2-0 and 3-2, the ECF did not lead off ESPN's NBA: The Jump despite being the only game that was played. 

But of course, when the Cavs won games 3 and 4, the ECF led the show off.  It's a subtle dig, but it's unmistakable, it's not subjective or debatable, and it hasn't happened to any other final 4 teams even a single time that I've streamed the show. 

National media = losers.  Keep embarrassing yourselves with your flimsy mental midgetry in front of millions of viewers, us Celtics fans are 1 win away from being above it all.  LET'S GO!

I noticed that too on ESPN's NBA: The Jump during yesterday's show. An hour long program for the NBA, and they barely mentioned the one NBA game played the night before.

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2018, 02:01:52 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Oh tonight it will be all about James and this is the moment he lives for and how he will dominate...blah blah blah

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2018, 02:03:14 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I've learned to just accept it.

C's could win tonight and advance, but all they'll spend the next 4-5 days doing is talking about Lebron, how it's not his fault, where his next destination could be, what Lebron accomplished in the playoffs, blah blah blah  ::)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2018, 02:27:56 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
national Media doesn't care Boston. 

Jalen Rose would not credit Boston or ever favor them......the hate is evident ,  he is part of the unwashed dumbed down masses.

Its popular with certain mass media to hate teams that play team ball and respect real coaches.

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2018, 02:54:31 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
How about this Chris Ryan & KOC - The Celtics were 22 and 8 against the Western Conference during the regular season, a 73% win rate.  The Thunder were 28 and 24, 54%.  There's your regular season answer.  And in the post-season the Celtics have been even better.

OKC was actually 20-10 against the Eastern conference, including going 0-2 against Boston.

TP for the correction.  My analysis was how each team did against the Western Conference.  From that perspective the Celtics were really dominant. 

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2018, 02:55:35 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
I think the C's have gotten a lot of praise, but also they're expected to fail on the road again and then its game 7 and overall LBJ is expected to win that as he's the best player.

I just don't see the grievance. LBJ is always the biggest story along with the Warriors, just how it is with the best player and the best team. Until they aren't the best or are knocked out that is.

I think there's some grievance when the only article I saw on The Ringer website after the Game 5 win was "The Celtics Making The Finals Is The Worst Outcome" and the article itself was very shallow and basically amounted to "I resent Boston sports."

Good call.  I can't believe I clicked on that article.. or should I say several sentences that concluded, like you said, with a "I just don't like Boston".

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2018, 03:00:58 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Celts will get ridiculous credit if they do the impossible.  Beating Cleveland is not the impossible I am talking about.

I think the popular narrative isn't really too far off from reality.  The Eastern Conference competition is weak enough to have a young, injured team like the C's only one game from a trip to the Finals.  I think people are passing this off as less "amazing" than it is a function of poor competition.  And it's hard to argue with that.  If the C's make it past Cleveland and then do some damage in the Finals, they'll be recognized for the accomplishment.  But I think (and rightly so), most experts and fans believe the Finals is being played right now in the West, and the C's, if they make it, will get their clock cleaned by whichever of GSW/Houston emerges.

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2018, 03:12:50 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
It's not just Basketball. ESPN is unwatchable with Tiger Woods plays in a tournament.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2018, 03:13:25 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
national Media doesn't care Boston. 

Jalen Rose would not credit Boston or ever favor them......the hate is evident ,  he is part of the unwashed dumbed down masses.

Its popular with certain mass media to hate teams that play team ball and respect real coaches.

This is why I'm glad Pierce is there on NBA Countdown. Not saying Pierce is the best analyst out there and I admit he can be a homer at times, but at least neutralizes all the hate/doubt that Jalen Rose and Chauncey Billups spew on the air about the C's every single game...  ::)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2018, 03:13:52 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Well, we've been expected to get our clocks cleaned by everyone we've faced so far... Even if Cleveland manages to come back and take this series that would still be FAR from a clock cleaning.

Personally, I don't expect us to get destroyed if we make the finals. Both GS and Houston have been far from stellar in their series. And you know we will give either team fits on the perimeter where they live.

On the original topic. The issue is... People SEVERLY underestimated the talent we have on this team even without Kyrie and Hayward, and rightfully so. Lots of unproven guys on our team going into the playoffs. But as these playoffs have gone along it's clear that JT and JB are most likely future all stars and honestly, JT has played on an all star level for the entire playoffs now. Also, Rozier has majorly elevated his game at times.

If we did somehow manage to take the championship imagine if Jayson Tatum won the finals MVP?

Celts will get ridiculous credit if they do the impossible.  Beating Cleveland is not the impossible I am talking about.

I think the popular narrative isn't really too far off from reality.  The Eastern Conference competition is weak enough to have a young, injured team like the C's only one game from a trip to the Finals.  I think people are passing this off as less "amazing" than it is a function of poor competition.  And it's hard to argue with that.  If the C's make it past Cleveland and then do some damage in the Finals, they'll be recognized for the accomplishment.  But I think (and rightly so), most experts and fans believe the Finals is being played right now in the West, and the C's, if they make it, will get their clock cleaned by whichever of GSW/Houston emerges.

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2018, 03:18:54 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

I think the popular narrative isn't really too far off from reality.  The Eastern Conference competition is weak enough to have a young, injured team like the C's only one game from a trip to the Finals.  I think people are passing this off as less "amazing" than it is a function of poor competition.  And it's hard to argue with that. 

Not disagreeing necessarily, but two weeks ago the narrative was "Cavs turn it on in playoffs and destroy Raptors," with much less discussion about how weak the East is. It was all about how unstoppable Lebron is when the games really matter, and how he's having one of the most dominant postseasons ever.

Now, it's about how Lebron's "exhausted."

But you can bet your last dollar that if the Cavs had just completed a 4-1 thrashing of the Celtics, the narrative would be "Lebron averages 31/7/8 and dominates competition again."

The thing is, those numbers are what he's actually averaging now on the edge of elimination, and are right at or above his career playoff averages. The facts don't change, but the narrative does.

I think that inconsistency is a big source of the frustration here.

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2018, 03:24:27 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think the C's have gotten a lot of praise, but also they're expected to fail on the road again and then its game 7 and overall LBJ is expected to win that as he's the best player.

I just don't see the grievance. LBJ is always the biggest story along with the Warriors, just how it is with the best player and the best team. Until they aren't the best or are knocked out that is.

I think there's some grievance when the only article I saw on The Ringer website after the Game 5 win was "The Celtics Making The Finals Is The Worst Outcome" and the article itself was very shallow and basically amounted to "I resent Boston sports."
You really think Boston gets "less" attention from the national media than it "deserves"?

We've been one of the 4 biggest stories in the NBA this year. Simmons has multiple podcasts focusing on the C's himself (in part he covers WCF too) etc etc etc. I think the national media pays a ton of attention to Boston and the Celtics.

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2018, 03:31:34 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

You really think Boston gets "less" attention from the national media than it "deserves"?

We've been one of the 4 biggest stories in the NBA this year. Simmons has multiple podcasts focusing on the C's himself (in part he covers WCF too) etc etc etc. I think the national media pays a ton of attention to Boston and the Celtics.

We're 2 to 1 favorites to be in the finals, a final 2 team, led by a 21 and a 22 year old, so I'd say being one of the 4 biggest NBA stories this year is the absolute minimum.  And Simmons used to go by the moniker 'The Boston Sports Guy' and runs his own business, so I wouldn't say he really represents the national media.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07