Author Topic: Would you like Geno Auriemma coaching your favorite team (college or pros)?  (Read 7524 times)

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Pretend your favorite men’s college team didn’t have Coach K or Calipari or whoever coaching it, or pretend the C’s didn’t have Brad Stevens.  Instead they have ML Carr, Matt Doherty, or Craig Esherick coaching and your team definitely needs some new blood.

What would you think if it was announced that Geno Auriemma accepted a deal to be the new coach of your favorite men's team?

The dude has won 10 NCAA championships, 6 Naismith and 7 AP Coach of the Year awards, is in the basketball hall of fame, has 4 gold medals (2 Olympics and 2 FIBA), has a head coaching record of 917-134 (highest winning percentage for all of NCAA, men or women), has coached 5 undefeated teams, has a current streak of making it to 8 consecutive Final Fours,  and has had a winning streak of 90 straight games.

Would you be excited/optimistic? He’s one of the most successful and decorated basketball coaches of all time.

Would you be disappointed/pessimistic?  He won’t be able to coach the men’s game.

Do you think he'd be a good hire for any major NCAA men's program?  How about an NBA team?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I would definitely take him over ML Carr. If I had a bad coach I might take him for my men's program. It might depend on the other candidates.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Nope, he is a great coach but motivating guys and girls is too different things when coaching.   Guys you can lay into them more and ride them, girls take things more personal.

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I'm very happy with the head coach my favorite college team has now, but I'd be thrilled to have GA coach the team if the position opened up.  What's not to like?

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
It would be interesting to see how he might do in the men's game.  I'd like to see him give it a try once he gets tired of coaching the UConn women (not sure he ever will, though--why would he?)
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
It depends -- is he going to bring that awful NCAA habit of 39,532,532,432 dribble handoffs per offensive possession?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Can't root for the guy.  Think he's a pompous scumbag.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Can't root for the guy.  Think he's a pompous scumbag.
+1

He's a great recruiter and a good coach but he's Pitino-esque.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
That could apply to any college coach, IMO.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Nope, he is a great coach but motivating guys and girls is too different things when coaching.   Guys you can lay into them more and ride them, girls take things more personal.
aside from the assumptions on men and women above, may i ask what proof you have that auriemma is incapable of doing what you describe?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
No way. Many college coaches don't throw their players under the bus whenever something goes wrong. That's one of Geno/Rick's go to moves in the press conferences.

Not to mention recruiting shadiness.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
aside from the assumptions on men and women above, may i ask what proof you have that auriemma is incapable of doing what you describe?
Geno lays into his players extremely hard.

He has a long time woman assistant coach who is the "nice" one who will talk instead of scream on the bench. Most coaching staffs have that sort of setup in some manner.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Could somebody please expand on the scumbag part? I wasn't very aware of that

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
No way. Many college coaches don't throw their players under the bus whenever something goes wrong. That's one of Geno/Rick's go to moves in the press conferences.

Not to mention recruiting shadiness.

Oh, I was mostly referring to the "pompus scumbag" bit. Should've clarified.

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
The only Gino I care about is the one who dances at the end of blowouts.