Author Topic: Woj: Spencer Dinwiddie signs 3yr/34M extension with BKN  (Read 4174 times)

Re: Woj: Spencer Dinwiddie signs 3yr/34M extension with BKN
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2018, 11:42:41 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'd rather have Dinwiddie than Rozier, so hopefully this does set the market for TRoz.  At that rate he could potentially be brought back.

Classic Moranis with his typical “grass is always greener on the other side” narrative. Would love to hear from Moranis in dissecting Dinwiddie’s game to support his statement. Hopefully he brings up Dinwiddie’s awful defense and rebounding (two things he loves to trash Irving for). Who knows maybe he also brings up his low assist numbers/high turnovers in discussion?
Dinwiddie is a more consistent performer.  From a bench player, I prefer consistency.  Rozier has a higher ceiling in any particular game, but his floor is much lower as well.  Dinwiddie is a more capable back-up PG as well given he is a much better passer than Rozier and his size also gives him advantages that don't exist with Rozier.  Dinwiddie also gets to the line at a significantly faster rate and has a much higher TS% as he quite simply takes far fewer bad shots (nearly a quarter of Rozier's shots are from 10' to the 3 point line and he shoots those at like 30%). 

If Boston was a crappy team and needed a starting PG, I'd rather take a flyer on Rozier as he has a chance to be a better player, but Boston is a top team that needs a back-up PG and I have far more confidence in Dinwiddie as a back-up PG over the next 5 seasons then I do in Rozier.  The consistency, the decision making, the passing, etc. all favor Dinwiddie and that is what you want from a bench player.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2018, 11:47:00 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I wonder what will be the market for Marcus Morris..the guy is flat out balling right now. Practically tied with Tatum as the second best offensive weapon we have
Yeah, he’s been amazing. 15/6 while shooting very close to 50/40/90, all the while his role changes game to game. I’d much rather keep him than TRoz, but unsure if we will be able.
My idea to keep Morris is have Horford opt out and re-sign him for 4 years for $68 million. That gives Horford a basic extension of 3 years for $51 million. It saves $13 million from the team salary in 2019-20 so you can allocate some of that savings to a Morris contract and some to Kyrie's new contract without killing you in luxury tax.

This does lock out any chance of signing Anthony Davis as a free agent later. Horford will jump all over this deal because it sets the breakeven point of 12.66 mil/yr on his future contract. The odds of him getting anything north of that at 34 years old is super slim.

I'd rather pay him his 30 mil next year and sign him for the vet minimum (about 3 mil a year -- total 39 mil over 4 years) and go for Davis in 2020. Should be an easy sell for Ainge.
I just don't see the C's opening enough cap space to sign Davis and I doubt Davis turns down his $230 million Supermax extension next summer.

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2019, 10:41:57 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I'm beginning to think Dinwiddie has more top end potential than Rozier and isn't just more consistent.  Boston might very well be able to keep Rozier if Dinwiddie's contract is an accurate reflection of the potential market.  Not sure that is the case as mid-season extensions often aren't at market value, but here's hoping it is.

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2019, 10:47:13 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I'm beginning to think Dinwiddie has more top end potential than Rozier and isn't just more consistent.  Boston might very well be able to keep Rozier if Dinwiddie's contract is an accurate reflection of the potential market.  Not sure that is the case as mid-season extensions often aren't at market value, but here's hoping it is.

I just disagreed with you on another thread, but I absolutely agree with you here. The contracts of Exum, Powell, Dinwiddie, and Van Fleet set the market for Rozier, which makes him utterly matchable.

Besides, the Cs need a big expendable contract.

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2019, 12:36:33 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

I just disagreed with you on another thread, but I absolutely agree with you here. The contracts of Exum, Powell, Dinwiddie, and Van Fleet set the market for Rozier, which makes him utterly matchable.

I don’t know how it’s possible.

Assuming Kyrie resigns to full max and Horford renegotiates to $20M next season, then what?

Morris would take precedent, and let’s be conservative at 3/$30M.

Then Rozier at a modest 3/$27M.

2-3 first rounders, let’s go with $5M minimum up to $10M depending on amount (up to 4) and where we pick.

We are approaching - if not surpassing - $160M in salaries alone, the tax bill would be insane. That’s considering Horford reworking his deal and Morris/Rozier signing for reasonable deals (and Baynes opts-in).

Even anticipating a blockbuster trade, that’s a ton of salary.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 05:59:29 AM by GreenEnvy »
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2019, 03:49:09 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
I'm happy for him. A solid player who deserves to get paid.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2019, 04:05:45 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'm happy for him. A solid player who deserves to get paid.
I could easily see a 6MOTY in his future, so this could end up a bargain deal. He's already a top 5 bench player IMO this season
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2019, 07:24:36 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Assuming Kyrie resigns to full max and Horford renegotiates to $20M next season, then what?

2-3 first rounders, let’s go with $5M minimum up to $10M depending on amount (up to 4) and where we pick.

We are approaching - if not surpassing - $160M in salaries alone, the tax bill would be insane. That’s considering Horford reworking his deal and Morris/Rozier signing for reasonable deals (and Baynes opts-in).

TP for the concise summary of the off-season salary situation.   ;)

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2019, 07:29:37 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Don't forget about 4 potential first round picks, although the Grizz one is looking increasingly unlikely
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2019, 08:44:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Don't forget about 4 potential first round picks, although the Grizz one is looking increasingly unlikely
Clippers is as well as they are now in the lottery and I really don't think they are better than the 8 teams ahead of them and may not be better then a couple of the teams just behind them.

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2019, 03:02:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Ownership has paid luxury tax in the past and say they will again.

Gotta remember that any operating loss is offset by the huge amount of money the franchise increases as a total asset. The Celtics franchise has gained $2.14 billion in value in the 17 years since Wyc and Co. bought the team. That means the team has increased in value an average of $126.6 million per year since 2002 and that doesn't even take into consideration any profit they made off of operating capital.

The Celtics make a lot of money every year. They can more than afford a bunch of years in the luxury tax.

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2019, 03:55:26 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Gotta remember that any operating loss is offset by the huge amount of money the franchise increases as a total asset. The Celtics franchise has gained $2.14 billion in value in the 17 years since Wyc and Co. bought the team. That means the team has increased in value an average of $126.6 million per year since 2002 and that doesn't even take into consideration any profit they made off of operating capital.

The Celtics make a lot of money every year. They can more than afford a bunch of years in the luxury tax.

I think the concern is not paying the luxury tax, it's putting the franchise in a position where they have to be paying the repeater tax and doing so when Brown and Tatum are on new deals. If spending isn't reined in, the salaries become untenable even for a franchise as well off as Boston.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2019, 04:06:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I think the concern is not paying the luxury tax, it's putting the franchise in a position where they have to be paying the repeater tax and doing so when Brown and Tatum are on new deals. If spending isn't reined in, the salaries become untenable even for a franchise as well off as Boston.
The only time they should worry about getting under the tax is this year since they are so close to the tax and it makes no sense to not push off a repeater tax year by simply getting under this year.

But other than that if this team is competing for and winning titles for the next 10 years, I don't care whose extensions are coming up, you pay the tax because your franchise value will continue to rise and you will be getting a great offset from all the playoff revenue.

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2019, 05:37:41 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Brooklyn Nets All star in the making Spencer Dinwiddie has had his hand examined one of the top hand specialist in the country. He has torn ligaments in his finger He will get two other evaluations to confirm the diagnosis before a decision is made about further action ..

Expected to miss (4-6) weeks receiving 2nd evaluation...

Caron Butler - Twitter

Link #2

FWIW Nets confirmed they're evaluating him for a thumb injury.