Author Topic: Truehoop's picks for future USA squad  (Read 4926 times)

Truehoop's picks for future USA squad
« on: August 27, 2008, 12:45:53 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Link:
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-33-227/The-Future-of-Team-U-S-A-.html

My major beef with this is that he picks Stuckey ahead of Rondo.  What in the world is he thinking?  How is Rodney Stuckey a better prospect than our boy Rajon?  Sure, I'm a big-time homer.  But c'mon - any impartial basketball fan would have to agree that RR is a much better team player than Stuckey.  Stuckey is a very poor man's Marbury.  All he does is dribble and try to score on his own.  He seems like the exact opposite of what Team USA needs.

Agree?  Disagree? 

Re: Truehoop's picks for future USA squad
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 12:55:08 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
And his only justification for Stuckey is this:
"Rodney Stuckey: In his first playoffs, the young Piston guard showed more than enough promise."

I'm sorry but that's just ridiculous. 

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 12:59:15 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
well... during the team usa scrimmage rondo and perkins were both invited but declined. that doesn't exactly give them the best reputation, while stuckey did attend and played well.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 01:00:38 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
He had doubts on Oden, too. And no mention of Al Jefferson.

I don't see Rajon getting in there ahead of Deron or Paul in 4 years.

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 01:00:56 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
well... during the team usa scrimmage rondo and perkins were both invited but declined. that doesn't exactly give them the best reputation, while stuckey did attend and played well.

ddin't the tema ask them to decline since it woul pretty much give them no off-season?

stucky got sent home early and is a bench player, im sure he had alot of extra time to devote to the practice squad.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 01:02:05 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown

Fair enough.  But then the author should have listed that as a reason for picking Stuckey ahead of Rondo.  Instead, he completely passes him over and doesn't even mention it.  I think it's pretty poor basketball journalism.

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 01:06:32 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Yeah, the Stuckey pick seems to be a bit of a stretch.  Unless he really improves his shooting, he would not do much good on that team IMO.

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 01:11:34 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
He had doubts on Oden, too. And no mention of Al Jefferson.

This is an excellent point.  Al Jefferson's skill set will be really useful in future years because they're switching to a rectangular lane.  Big Al's post up game will be unstoppable against those inferior Euro defenders.  And he's a much better scorer than Boozer, who seems to only be effective in Utah's system.

I don't see Rajon getting in there ahead of Deron or Paul in 4 years.

I don't think he'd be ahead of either of them.  But he'd be more effective than a 40 year old Jason Kidd.  His rebounding, defense and penetrating skills could be very useful.  Much moreso than freakin' Rodney Stinky.