Author Topic: Superhero/Comics Movie Thread  (Read 165384 times)

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Ive seen it mentioned and I want to second it, but any movie with a good Gambit would be a must see in my opinion.  Hands down the best X-men character.

I always thought Sawyer from Lost would make an excellent Gambit.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Ive seen it mentioned and I want to second it, but any movie with a good Gambit would be a must see in my opinion.  Hands down the best X-men character.

Good call
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
DC needs to get on the ball.

No Justice League movie?

Just sad.

They could always take some pieces from the JLU cartoon from a few years ago. The makers of the Green Lantern movie were even kind enough to introduce Amanda Waller (CADMUS).

Marvel's completed Elektra, Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, DareDevil, Ghost Rider, several Hulk movies, FF4's, X-men...and now Avengers.

DC: Superman, Batman, Green Lantern....and Jonah Hex??

C'mon, DC!
actually Warner Bros. is working on a script for the Justice League (although they tried to do this in 2008 and it didn't work out so who knows what will come of it). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Good call

Not a good enough actor. Gambit is a hard part because of what an energetic personality is while at the same time being completely guarded.

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

No Justice League movie?

Just sad.

They could always take some pieces from the JLU cartoon from a few years ago. The makers of the Green Lantern movie were even kind enough to introduce Amanda Waller (CADMUS).

Marvel's completed Elektra, Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, DareDevil, Ghost Rider, several Hulk movies, FF4's, X-men...and now Avengers.

C'mon, DC!
actually Warner Bros. is working on a script for the Justice League (although they tried to do this in 2008 and it didn't work out so who knows what will come of it). 

Man I hope that comes to fruition. DC has the same draw as far as interesting characters as Marvel does. They certainly parallel as far as heros, villians, etc.

Lex Luthor, Darkseid, Braniac, Doomsday, CADMUS...definitely a lot of material to work with.

Just baffling to me why there's been no Flash, Wonderwoman movies, etc.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Not a good enough actor. Gambit is a hard part because of what an energetic personality is while at the same time being completely guarded.

http://cultpress.blogspot.com/2006/11/producer-wants-sawyer-for-gambit.html

http://www.superherohype.com/features/articles/93639-josh-hollowaygambit-rumor-resurfaces

I have read multiple articles about Josh being slated for Gambit.  You must have never watched much Lost because I think he could nail this role. 

Any X-men movie though would be better without Brian Singer and going with Matthew Vaughn.  Vaughn did a much better movie and showed good understanding of the genre.   Singer had star casts and still made somewhat bland movies I think.  Heck, he even ruined a Superman remake.

A New Gods movie with Orion, Scott Miracle and Darkseid would be awesome.  Kirby made those characters though it was for DC.  Kirby created a lot of Marvel's characters.  He co-created Captain America, Fantastic Four, Hulk and the X-men.  He created Darkseid, Doctor Doom, Galactus, Magneto, Thor and Silver Surfer.

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

http://www.superherohype.com/features/articles/93639-josh-hollowaygambit-rumor-resurfaces

I have read multiple articles about Josh being slated for Gambit.  You must have never watched much Lost because I think he could nail this role. 

Watched all of Lost, he simply is not charming or personable enough to be Gambit.

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Watched all of Lost, he simply is not charming or personable enough to be Gambit.

I would disagree with you.  And I also watched all of Lost.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Any X-men movie though would be better without Brian Singer and going with Matthew Vaughn.  Vaughn did a much better movie and showed good understanding of the genre.   Singer had star casts and still made somewhat bland movies I think.  Heck, he even ruined a Superman remake.

A New Gods movie with Orion, Scott Miracle and Darkseid would be awesome.  Kirby made those characters though it was for DC.  Kirby created a lot of Marvel's characters.  He co-created Captain America, Fantastic Four, Hulk and the X-men.  He created Darkseid, Doctor Doom, Galactus, Magneto, Thor and Silver Surfer.

See...even MORE material for DC to work with....New Gods could open so many avenues for a movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmTg7ROPssc

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170

No Justice League movie?

Just sad.

C'mon, DC!

Man I hope that comes to fruition. DC has the same draw as far as interesting characters as Marvel does. They certainly parallel as far as heros, villians, etc.

Lex Luthor, Darkseid, Braniac, Doomsday, CADMUS...definitely a lot of material to work with.

Just baffling to me why there's been no Flash, Wonderwoman movies, etc.

Yeah I'm not sure what DC is waiting for. Wasn't there supposed to be a Wonderwoman TV show last year?

Granted I think they have a great deal more to work with but Marvel is just a lot more aggressive with their characters. If you look at DC on TV their series have mainly revolved around Batman and Superman. Meanwhile Marvel has a number of animated series based on different characters. And they've done the same for movies. Seriously there are two Punisher and Ghostrider movies. Even Elektra has a movie. DC just needs to take the risk with their non-Batman/ Superman heroes and see what happens.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I thought the Avengers was really fun... I wasn't blown away by it.  It was good.  About the same as the Iron Man 2, Incredible Hulk, Captain America and Thor movies.  Fun, but not spectacular movies.  I wouldn't say it's anywhere near what The Dark Knight was if we're measuring super hero films.  I felt The Avengers had some fun moments, but ultimately it was a little forgettable.  That's just me, though.  Classic popcorn flick blockbuster.

For the summer films I'm still most excited about the third Nolan Batman movie.  I don't expect it to "top" Dark Knight.  I don't know if it has to, though.  In many ways, I liked "Batman Begins" more than "Dark Knight".  The JOker obviously put Dark Knight over the top, but Batman Begins deserves more credit.  As long as this third film wraps up the story nicely (it's a given Ra's al Ghul returns, right?  He has to.  Makes too much logical sense for the 3 part story arc) I think it will be fantastic.

EDIT:  Just checked the score for the Avengers on metacritic.  69.  Yup.  That seems just about right.  Good fun movie... not a great movie.  I wouldn't say it's "disappointing", though.  I got what I expected out of it.  It was fun to see all the heroes together.  Side note:  When I saw "Thor" in the theater the movie ended with a teaser trailer for "The Avengers".  Everyone in the theater lost their minds when that teaser trailer was shown.  I didn't get it.  I thought Thor was "blah".  I wasn't sure why anyone would expect "The Avengers" to be better.  If Thor kinda stunk... I wasn't sure why anyone thought bringing all the characters together was going to make the movie vastly superior.  Cap America was blah, Iron Man 2 was blah.  Incredible Hulk (with Ed Norton) was blah.  Thor was blah.  Stick them all together and you have a nice little popcorn flick.  It's great fun to see Bruce Banner and Tony Stark interact, but as a movie that's all it is... fun.  Cool action scenes.  Some fun interactions.  *shrug*.  I think I was more engrossed in "X-Men First Class" (by no means a perfect movie either)... is that weird?  
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 02:59:14 AM by LarBrd33 »

Kiorrik

Just four days after my sons and I saw Avengers, my youngest one is STILL wanting to see it again, which is unheard of for him.

I haven't had this much fun at the movies since the first Matrix and Spiderman 2.

I won't spoil Avengers for those who haven't seen it, but man! Those intra-squad fights were ON POINT...nothing untrue to the comic books.

Just Awesome.

Samuel L. Jackson played a GREAT Nick Fury, too.

I didn't even realize that the same actor that played in "The Town" played Hawkeye. He was GREAT as well. I also didn't realize that he had a cameo in Thor.

Anxiously awaiting the next Avengers.
Yeah Jeremy Renner is sent up high when Thor first tries to get the hammer when he comes to earth.  I didn't realize he was Hawkeye until I saw he was cast as Hawkeye in the Avengers.  They certainly didn't make it clear that was his role and I believe only true die hard Avengers fans would have caught it.
For some reason, I caught it, actually. I think it was both the fact that it was that actor (he's too big to be a random person) and how he acted.

Or the fact that he turns down grabbing a gun to grab a bow. The more obscure reference was that the black guy who was fighting with Thor just before that was Luke Cage (Power Man)
Ah, thanks for clearing that one up. I did see it happen, and I thought "oh, that must be someone too" but I didn't quite catch *who* exactly :)

It's just that some of the nods in movies like that, you notice. When a certain character gets that wee bit of extra attention, without having been fleshed out properly.

As for the whole Marvel & DC thing; I've always been a Marvel fan-boy. Of course I like my Batman, Spawn, Turtles, etc, but my main dose of comic goodness is all Marvel branded.

As such, I don't mind that Wonder Woman and the like don't get much attention.

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Cable, Bishop, holler.

Also that Deadpool movie starring ryan reynolds would've been awesome.
Ah noes! Did that get canned? :( :( :(
I believe it is still scheduled for 2014.
Dang. That's pretty far off.

Cable, Bishop, Apocalypse, a *decent* Gambit, Deadpool, Omega Red, Spiderman Noir, Thanos, Mr Sinister and perhaps a grown-up version of rogue that resembles rogue from the cartoons :p

Any of those in a movie would be nice.
Yep still scheduled for 2014, there are rumors there will be an Ant Man and Nick Fury movie both also out in 2014.  Cap Am 2, Spiderman 2, and X-Men First Class 2 are all also supposed to be out in 2014.  Next year is supposed to be pretty busy as well with Thor 2, Iron Man 3, Wolverine 2, the Flash, a new Superman reboot, and a new Fantastic Four reboot.  

Also some much lesser known comics like Shazam, Sub-Mariner, etc. are supposedly in various stages of production.
Where did you get this list?  I hadn't heard of Flash or Shazam, I would like to see those.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would disagree with you.  And I also watched all of Lost.

Your perogative, Marvel does not.  That ought to speak volumes who is right.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Cable, Bishop, holler.

Also that Deadpool movie starring ryan reynolds would've been awesome.
Ah noes! Did that get canned? :( :( :(
I believe it is still scheduled for 2014.
Dang. That's pretty far off.

Cable, Bishop, Apocalypse, a *decent* Gambit, Deadpool, Omega Red, Spiderman Noir, Thanos, Mr Sinister and perhaps a grown-up version of rogue that resembles rogue from the cartoons :p

Any of those in a movie would be nice.
Yep still scheduled for 2014, there are rumors there will be an Ant Man and Nick Fury movie both also out in 2014.  Cap Am 2, Spiderman 2, and X-Men First Class 2 are all also supposed to be out in 2014.  Next year is supposed to be pretty busy as well with Thor 2, Iron Man 3, Wolverine 2, the Flash, a new Superman reboot, and a new Fantastic Four reboot.  

Also some much lesser known comics like Shazam, Sub-Mariner, etc. are supposedly in various stages of production.
Where did you get this list?  I hadn't heard of Flash or Shazam, I would like to see those.
I think it was superhero.net or superheromovie.net.  Something like that. 

A bunch of articles out on the net on DC's strategy.  May end up with Green Lantern 2 instead of the Flash, but Warner Bros. apparently has a "solid script" for the Flash and it definitely wants to do the Justice League (not sure if it wants a bunch of lead in movies - though with the success of Avengers, I think they will).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip