Author Topic: Prediction: Nuggets vs Lakers  (Read 8634 times)

Re: Prediction: Nuggets vs Lakers
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2020, 10:41:19 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Personally, I want to see another Celtics vs. Lakers finals.  10 years is long enough without one.

Last thing on Earth I want is Lakers-Celtics.  Especially where Lakers  seem to have the advantage.  It will take a miracle, but Denver over LA feels like last ditch hope for LAL not to catch the C’s in overall championships.  I hate/resent the way LAL can always rebuild to championship level based on nothing other than being LAL.  Of all the teams who’ve tanked or perennially attempt to build a contender, the Lakers always get their quicker offer despite mediocre (or worse) management.  Had LBJ decided to join the Wizards and had Davis decided to manipulate his way to Washington, we’d be looking at a championship run for them.  Nothing to do with skill or management just having to do with being the Lakers.

FYI: I feel similarly with regard to Yankees and Red Sox who gets to buy their teams.  But even more so in the salary capped NBA where a couple of top 5 guys can win a championship surrounded by role contributors.  LAL gets a crazy advantage and kudos to them, and all they need to do is wait for it... everyone else has to work for it.

Yup, this is pretty much how I see it too. Look at how many high draft picks the Lakers got—and wasted—over the last several years: Ingram, Ball, Russell. But it doesn't matter how bad their management or scouting were, because all they had to do was wait until a big-time free agent became available, in this case LeBron, and bam, they're right back in it. His first season there was a wash because of his injuries, but him being healthy this season, plus getting AD, makes everything a-okay with them. Meanwhile, Danny's been plotting and scheming for years and Boston still doesn't have as good a chance at this year's title as the Lakers do.

I really feel like the Lakers are going to win the title this year, tying them for titles with Boston (technically, though in my book the 5 Minny titles don't count), and I don't think Boston will ever again have the lead in that race. We've been talking a lot recently about Boston blowing leads ... well, they used to have a big lead in the titles department too (16-9 after the '86 season, but it's been 7-1 Lakers since then).
How are those picks wasted?  None of those picks are busts.  Ingram was my favorite in that draft and he's turned into a good player even with having to deal with blood clots last season.  Russell is starting with two 20+ ppg seasons.  Ball hasn't progressed as much but he's still a starter.  Ingram and Ball were used in the AD trade so that was definitely not wasted.  They also drafted Kuzma at pick 27 and Josh Hart at pick 30.     

They gave up on Russell pretty quickly, and they could've just waited a year and signed AD as a free agent, thus keeping Ingram and Ball. I know they didn't WANT to wait a year, given that LeBron's age is creeping up there, but they COULD'VE.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2020, 12:09:21 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Personally, I want to see another Celtics vs. Lakers finals.  10 years is long enough without one.

Last thing on Earth I want is Lakers-Celtics.  Especially where Lakers  seem to have the advantage.  It will take a miracle, but Denver over LA feels like last ditch hope for LAL not to catch the C’s in overall championships.  I hate/resent the way LAL can always rebuild to championship level based on nothing other than being LAL.  Of all the teams who’ve tanked or perennially attempt to build a contender, the Lakers always get their quicker offer despite mediocre (or worse) management.  Had LBJ decided to join the Wizards and had Davis decided to manipulate his way to Washington, we’d be looking at a championship run for them.  Nothing to do with skill or management just having to do with being the Lakers.

FYI: I feel similarly with regard to Yankees and Red Sox who gets to buy their teams.  But even more so in the salary capped NBA where a couple of top 5 guys can win a championship surrounded by role contributors.  LAL gets a crazy advantage and kudos to them, and all they need to do is wait for it... everyone else has to work for it.

Yup, this is pretty much how I see it too. Look at how many high draft picks the Lakers got—and wasted—over the last several years: Ingram, Ball, Russell. But it doesn't matter how bad their management or scouting were, because all they had to do was wait until a big-time free agent became available, in this case LeBron, and bam, they're right back in it. His first season there was a wash because of his injuries, but him being healthy this season, plus getting AD, makes everything a-okay with them. Meanwhile, Danny's been plotting and scheming for years and Boston still doesn't have as good a chance at this year's title as the Lakers do.

I really feel like the Lakers are going to win the title this year, tying them for titles with Boston (technically, though in my book the 5 Minny titles don't count), and I don't think Boston will ever again have the lead in that race. We've been talking a lot recently about Boston blowing leads ... well, they used to have a big lead in the titles department too (16-9 after the '86 season, but it's been 7-1 Lakers since then).
How are those picks wasted?  None of those picks are busts.  Ingram was my favorite in that draft and he's turned into a good player even with having to deal with blood clots last season.  Russell is starting with two 20+ ppg seasons.  Ball hasn't progressed as much but he's still a starter.  Ingram and Ball were used in the AD trade so that was definitely not wasted.  They also drafted Kuzma at pick 27 and Josh Hart at pick 30.     

They gave up on Russell pretty quickly, and they could've just waited a year and signed AD as a free agent, thus keeping Ingram and Ball. I know they didn't WANT to wait a year, given that LeBron's age is creeping up there, but they COULD'VE.
Waiting a year to get AD would have been stupid.  You don't give up chances to win championships.  Anything can happen.  AD might decide to go somewhere else in free agency.  Without the Laker's offer some other team would have traded for him by giving up less and he might end up staying with that team.

Russell had that cameragate incident they needed to move him.  The Nets also traded Russell after 2 seasons.  The Warriors traded him midseason for Wiggins.  So he's been on 4 teams in 5 seasons.  Ingram had the blood clot issue.  There was no guarantee how well he'd come back from that.  Ball isn't good enough to help a playoff team win a championship. 

« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2020, 12:15:53 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Well I'm certainly not picking against Denver at this point.

« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2020, 12:25:33 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Do the lakers have an answer for Murray?

I think Rondo is capable enough to contain him, that is if he tries defensively
Rondo neither has the ability nor the effort to defend Murray
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2020, 12:47:46 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Waiting a year to get AD would have been stupid.  You don't give up chances to win championships.  Anything can happen.  AD might decide to go somewhere else in free agency.  Without the Laker's offer some other team would have traded for him by giving up less and he might end up staying with that team.

Russell had that cameragate incident they needed to move him.  The Nets also traded Russell after 2 seasons.  The Warriors traded him midseason for Wiggins.  So he's been on 4 teams in 5 seasons.  Ingram had the blood clot issue.  There was no guarantee how well he'd come back from that.  Ball isn't good enough to help a playoff team win a championship.

Technically anything can happen, yes. I still think AD stays with the Lakers. But I guess that's neither here nor there, since it's down the road and has no bearing on the Lakers-Nuggets series.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2020, 02:33:26 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

Lakers just had 6 straight losing seasons.  Besides Lebron and Shaq, what top free agents have they signed? 

Remember Kawhi was supposed to end up there with Lebron and AD and form a Big3.  Instead Kawhi forced his way to the Clips while forcing them to trade for PG13.  There was no great management or skill on the Clips' part to make that happen.  LBJ, Wade and Bosh formed their big 3.  There was no great skill or management on the Heat's part.  Even for our big 3, it was KG who turned down the initial trade and forced Danny to acquire another star first before accepting the trade.  Imagine if KG hadn't done that.  Of course, the Spurs tanked to get Duncan which gave them their great run.  No skill in that.

Edit:  I could add KD going to the Warriors and KD and Kyrie joining up to go to the Nets.  No great skill on the Warriors or Nets part.

2 quick examples : Kobe as a 17 year old works out for no one other than LAL.  AD makes it clear he won’t resign with NO and opens the door for resigning in LA.  Who else would trade their roster for one year rental?   So if you just say LBJ, Shaq, AD and Kobe you have 3 top 10 all time players and one who might be top 40. Yes that’s enough by itself.

« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2020, 03:03:11 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Lakers just had 6 straight losing seasons.  Besides Lebron and Shaq, what top free agents have they signed? 

Remember Kawhi was supposed to end up there with Lebron and AD and form a Big3.  Instead Kawhi forced his way to the Clips while forcing them to trade for PG13.  There was no great management or skill on the Clips' part to make that happen.  LBJ, Wade and Bosh formed their big 3.  There was no great skill or management on the Heat's part.  Even for our big 3, it was KG who turned down the initial trade and forced Danny to acquire another star first before accepting the trade.  Imagine if KG hadn't done that.  Of course, the Spurs tanked to get Duncan which gave them their great run.  No skill in that.

Edit:  I could add KD going to the Warriors and KD and Kyrie joining up to go to the Nets.  No great skill on the Warriors or Nets part.

2 quick examples : Kobe as a 17 year old works out for no one other than LAL.  AD makes it clear he won’t resign with NO and opens the door for resigning in LA.  Who else would trade their roster for one year rental?   So if you just say LBJ, Shaq, AD and Kobe you have 3 top 10 all time players and one who might be top 40. Yes that’s enough by itself.
Didn't Kobe workout for us too?

« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2020, 03:46:12 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

We had Pitino at the helm so we were never going to pick him :laugh:. And talk about downplaying a franchise "only" signing LeBron and Shaq in free agency lol.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2020, 05:08:49 AM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

Nope disagree = Celtics have the advantage so long as Hayward can return and perform well. Simply put, Celtics have the better team. Lakers have bigger name stars but they do not have as good a team as Boston does.

Celtics have the advantage if Kemba and Hayward along with our Jay's, Smart, and Theis all play well

The Celtics should be rolling the Raptors, and the Heat, with the talent the C's have on paper. But they aren't right now.
To be fair, no one else really rolled the Heat and Raptors. They're just good teams. Not a lot of blowouts in conference finals usually. All the teams belong there

« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2020, 06:13:31 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

We had Pitino at the helm so we were never going to pick him :laugh:. And talk about downplaying a franchise "only" signing LeBron and Shaq in free agency lol.
Man, Pitino really set this team back a long way. What a disaster he and ML Carr were

« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2020, 06:56:55 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

I was wrong about Kobe.  He refused to play for the Nets who were going to draft him.  But he did work out for other teams. 

« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2020, 08:24:34 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Man, Pitino really set this team back a long way. What a disaster he and ML Carr were
Absolutely, his drafting was horrible and he didn't quite keep the gems he drafted.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2020, 09:07:19 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Absolutely, his drafting was horrible and he didn't quite keep the gems he drafted.

It was Carr who worked out Kobe.   Pitino didn't join the the organization until '97.

For all his warts, Pitino had nothing to do with Kobe.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2020, 09:27:33 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

It was Carr who worked out Kobe.   Pitino didn't join the the organization until '97.

For all his warts, Pitino had nothing to do with Kobe.
My bad, thought I read that he loved Antoine Walker somewhere in an article talking about his Celtics tenure and assumed that he was there since '96. TP
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2020, 03:25:29 AM »

Offline Lakers are the Best

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
I like the Lakers in 5 or 6.
I would happily take Lakers up 3-1 and go from there.