Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 238632 times)

Re: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)
« Reply #1665 on: April 10, 2019, 12:58:59 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
Williams does not have a high motor.  You can tell he loves blocking shots but he's not active on the glass.  If a shot goes up and he's not in position he doesn't fight for position.  It comes across as lazy.  Good rebounders fight for position and are always moving towards the basket when a shot goes up.  they don't watch the ball and see if it comes to them they go for the ball.  Williams either doesn't have this instinct or he does not have a high motor.  Good awareness on the defensive end just not a good rebounder IMO.  He rolls to the hoop well but just isn't active on the glass.  Very concerning to me.  You can't teach motivation.  He needs to pick up his effort.

« Reply #1666 on: April 10, 2019, 01:21:12 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Williams does not have a high motor.  You can tell he loves blocking shots but he's not active on the glass.  If a shot goes up and he's not in position he doesn't fight for position.  It comes across as lazy.  Good rebounders fight for position and are always moving towards the basket when a shot goes up.  they don't watch the ball and see if it comes to them they go for the ball.  Williams either doesn't have this instinct or he does not have a high motor.  Good awareness on the defensive end just not a good rebounder IMO.  He rolls to the hoop well but just isn't active on the glass.  Very concerning to me.  You can't teach motivation.  He needs to pick up his effort.

Maybe, but he also might be struggling with the learning curve of the NBA. If Brad said, just go out there and rebound and block shots, he would probably look to have a little more energy. Currently, he appears to be thinking about making the right decision on rotations and where to be - both offensively and defensively. This can come across as lazy since he isn't all over the court.

I would say Jaylen Brown struggled a little bit with that early in his career, but is now much more decisive in his movements. I don't know that Williams will be the next big thing, but I am willing to give him a little more time.

« Reply #1667 on: April 10, 2019, 06:04:28 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

His 10 rebounds per 36 minutes would disagree with you.

And if you say that its too small of sample size, I would say that it is also too small of a sample size to say anything about his game.

Inconsistent minutes against bench opponents in blowout games is not a way to figure out if someone has talent.

« Reply #1668 on: April 10, 2019, 06:09:04 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Is that really good, though? Notoriously poor rebounders Okynyk and Tyler Zeller have career per 36 rebound averages of 8 and 9.

« Reply #1669 on: April 10, 2019, 06:55:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Is that really good, though? Notoriously poor rebounders Okynyk and Tyler Zeller have career per 36 rebound averages of 8 and 9.
Took a look at his Reb% numbers and a very similar comparison is someone like a Willie Cauley-Stein or Serge Ibaka type rebounder. Good but not great.

But it's a ridiculously small sample size that you really can't draw anything from.

Eye test says he doesn't have a good ability to read where the ball might miss based on the shot and move to that area. The great rebounders do this naturally. He doesn't block out very often, relying on his shear athleticism to rebound rather than using good rebounding technique, but that is pretty common nowadays.

I just think, in general, Williams has looked lost this year. Even in his playing time yesterday, it's pretty clear he just does not get a lot both offensively and defensively. The offense goes very simple when he is in the game.

But, if he works like crazy, gets better with his system knowledge and can develop some offense the team can implement besides a p&r alley oops, I think he has great potential.

I need to see good progress next year. I kind of expected what he gave the team this year. It was pretty obvious he didn't develop or learn a thing his second year in school. You could see how raw he was.

But he does just drip potential. As I said, I want to see progress next year. I hope he can earn minutes next year similar to what Theis has given the team the last couple years. I think we will know a lot more about Timelord a year from now.

« Reply #1670 on: April 10, 2019, 07:08:02 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Took a look at his Reb% numbers and a very similar comparison is someone like a Willie Cauley-Stein or Serge Ibaka type rebounder. Good but not great.

But it's a ridiculously small sample size that you really can't draw anything from.

Eye test says he doesn't have a good ability to read where the ball might miss based on the shot and move to that area. The great rebounders do this naturally. He doesn't block out very often, relying on his shear athleticism to rebound rather than using good rebounding technique, but that is pretty common nowadays.

I just think, in general, Williams has looked lost this year. Even in his playing time yesterday, it's pretty clear he just does not get a lot both offensively and defensively. The offense goes very simple when he is in the game.

But, if he works like crazy, gets better with his system knowledge and can develop some offense the team can implement besides a p&r alley oops, I think he has great potential.

I need to see good progress next year. I kind of expected what he gave the team this year. It was pretty obvious he didn't develop or learn a thing his second year in school. You could see how raw he was.

But he does just drip potential. As I said, I want to see progress next year. I hope he can earn minutes next year similar to what Theis has given the team the last couple years. I think we will know a lot more about Timelord a year from now.

My concern is the lack of improvement he’s made over the last few years. One of the biggest knocks on him is that he made little to no improvement from his freshman to sophomore season, which raised the questions of work ethic and love for the game. I hoped that I would see an improved Williams over the course of the year; however, I basically see the same guy from the summer. So that’s basically 3 crucial years of player development that has resulted in, at best, marginal strides.

« Reply #1671 on: April 10, 2019, 09:36:01 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Williams may "just" be about his length and athleticism.

At Texas A&M he was good, but, not a dominant player beyond frequently being the longest on the court in SEC games.

Like the rest of us, I want him to be good and am mad at Stevens for never playing him. In yesterday's game he appeared to "go up" against the opponent on defense, but, I've never seen him offer a great BBIQ play beyond a flash or two.

Just seems to be watching the game trying to learn it.

At Texas A&M also, he really wasn't about taking the initiative on a regular basis.

I think he could be a really good backup center. Just don't really know what that means.

Got to admit his hand eye coordination is very good, he times his blocks really well.

« Reply #1672 on: April 10, 2019, 10:08:45 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I don’t see as much potential in him as everybody else, really.  I think he’s a roleplayer at best.  Lacks the ball skills to be more.  But that’s fine... not everybody has to be a star. 

You can take the skillset he already has and mold it into a rotation-worthy player, provided that he makes significant strides in his understanding of the system.  Good shotblocker, solid rebounder, solid finisher on offense, willing passer.  If he learns to use what he has then he’s a valuable piece, even if he doesn’t really have more than roleplayer upside. 

« Reply #1673 on: April 11, 2019, 03:35:27 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
I don’t see as much potential in him as everybody else, really.  I think he’s a roleplayer at best.  Lacks the ball skills to be more.  But that’s fine... not everybody has to be a star. 

You can take the skillset he already has and mold it into a rotation-worthy player, provided that he makes significant strides in his understanding of the system.  Good shotblocker, solid rebounder, solid finisher on offense, willing passer.  If he learns to use what he has then he’s a valuable piece, even if he doesn’t really have more than roleplayer upside.

I think his ceiling would be as a Clint Capela type player which, if he gets there, would be a pretty decent career.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #1674 on: April 11, 2019, 03:40:01 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I think his ceiling would be as a Clint Capela type player which, if he gets there, would be a pretty decent career.
Clint Capela has been a really solid big over the last 2 seasons. 15/12/1.7 with 65% from the field. If RW could average half those scoring & rebounding numbers off the bench with elite ring protection I'd be happy
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1675 on: April 11, 2019, 12:46:02 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Clint Capela has been a really solid big over the last 2 seasons. 15/12/1.7 with 65% from the field. If RW could average half those scoring & rebounding numbers off the bench with elite ring protection I'd be happy

Yeah, Clint Capela is terrific and Timelord turning into Capela would be great. A rim runner who can defend the paint and switch onto guards is a valuable player to have.

As for the rebounding thing, his RB% is a shade below Baynes' (15.3 to 15.6) and they are the two best rebounders in the rotation.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #1676 on: April 13, 2019, 02:57:56 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30

I believe he can be a more mobile, athletic, stronger and quicker Tony Battie...and that's saying alot because Battie worked himself into very good center. 

With this team it would be a perfect fit if he got that degree of professionalism. But he's not gonna get there on the bench, that I know. And the worse thing you can do is pull him after a mistake and having him second guess himself all the time...and then play tense and timid, and overthinking. His game is built around reflex...he needs to learn full speed without looking over his shoulder every single play.  Another reason I don't care much for Brad.

And one thing people should keep in mind is, nearly everyone is gonna look incompetent with 10-15 minutes a game because it's not even enough time to warm your body up. Some players can do it yeah...but that shouldn't be a gauge for everyone.

Play some ball sometimes...

And oh...his timing, athletism, instincts and reflexes are already elite. If they can't find a way to utilize that, it's all on the system
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 03:11:00 PM by Triplenickle »

« Reply #1677 on: April 13, 2019, 03:17:57 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford

I can almost guarantee he would do that on another team...but maybe not 15 points a game.  8-12 points, 8 rebounds and 3-4 blocks easy.

The problem is those things aren't important in Brad's system unless it's a wing going against another wing. Then he thinks it's oh-so-great.

I've always been a wing, but I can tell you right now you can't win without rebounding and defense from bigs.

Don't even know what they're thinking.

« Reply #1678 on: April 13, 2019, 03:24:40 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Battie was a terrible rebounder

« Reply #1679 on: April 13, 2019, 03:32:40 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
Battie was a terrible rebounder

Not really because he was a power foward who HAD to do that job. The fact he did it with other centers on the team says he wasn't that bad.

Plus he grew to be better at it than when he first got here. If they had a decent  center, then they get by Jersey and go to the finals.

Pretty good for a lone terrible rebounder.

And honestly how much better is Horford doing the same thing?  Not much, because he's a power forward too. Horford is not a rebounding machine and I believe Battie had better numbers.

And you don't name someone Batman that stinks :)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 03:41:16 PM by Triplenickle »